How hard is it to match in EM these days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamaicacarioca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me with constructive answers. I noticed that there has been a decline in applicants to emergency medicine. Non US citizen, graduated from medical school 10 years ago. Roughly 7 years experience in a surgical specialty outside the US. Cleared all 3 steps on the first try. Is there any chance of me getting into emergency medicine at all, given the decline in applicants and the opening up of new programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there's certainly a chance you could get in a residency. The real question I think is why would you want to? What kind of medicine do you want to practice? There's a difference between emergency medicine and the medicine that is practiced (by force or necessity) in many emergency departments. What are you interested in?

Reactions: 1 users
Not as hard as it is to find a job!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could probably match, there was a big drop in apps this year and lots of the community pop-up residencies will be happy to take an IMG who’s already a board certified doctor in their home country in a surgical field.

But I would ask you…why EM?

Depending on life goals and financial need, I would consider doing IM and taking the three years to let the ED oversupply settle. In 3 years if the job market is still rough for EM, you can work hospital medicine or outpatient, or get into a subspecialty fellowship like pulm/CC. If you do EM and the job market sucks in 3 years, you're kind of limited. You could always do in EM residency after IM as well.

Surgery then IM and then EM sounds like a solid idea…. Why not toss peds, neuro, psych, family med in also? If you continue to goto residecy and fellowship until you die you wont have to pay off any loans. 4d chess plan right there.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Please help me with constructive answers. I noticed that there has been a decline in applicants to emergency medicine. Non US citizen, graduated from medical school 10 years ago. Roughly 7 years experience in a surgical specialty outside the US. Cleared all 3 steps on the first try. Is there any chance of me getting into emergency medicine at all, given the decline in applicants and the opening up of new programs?

If you've got 7 years of experience as a surgeon, do a 1 year surgical year after your USMLEs and continue in the field you know. You don't want to go EM.

Would you rather be an employed surgeon in your country or an unemployed ER doc in this country?

Can anyone give me any ideas as to which EM programs are best to apply for as an IMG?

OMS1 here, any chance that EM will be fixed in the future?

OMS1 here, any chance that EM will be fixed in the future?

No.

It will only get worse, as Americans become more entitled and demanding, administrators become more greedy and lazy, and PLPs become more ubiquitous and less trained.

Last edited:
Bro the field is dead. I love EM, I like doing it, I like the people, I like the chaos. I live for a good resus. Nights are a pain but neat in their own way.

But as a field it’s literally imploding in front of our eyes and may well not be a viable career in 10 years for most docs.

Last edited:
Posts like this are precisely why we won't be able to solve the problems facing our field without closing down these CMG residencies

Even if the US MDs and DO grads avoid the field like the plague, there is still no shortage of FMGs who will happily (and stupidly) take their place.