How hard is the NREMT test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EMT-B.... I understand a majority of all the concepts, I am very good at problem solving / elimination.

On a scale from 1-10? What would you think the test is on passing?

Members don't see this ad.

5. I thought my test was about 100 times easier than the tests I was given in my class. It depends a lot on the quality of education, but NREMT was a breeze for me.

Keep in mind that it's an adaptive test; the better you do, the harder the questions get. EVERYONE walks out of the room feeling like they failed because of the way the questions scale to produce a score. If you don't know how the test works behind the scenes, definitely look into it.

5. I thought my test was about 100 times easier than the tests I was given in my class. It depends a lot on the quality of education, but NREMT was a breeze for me.

Keep in mind that it's an adaptive test; the better you do, the harder the questions get. EVERYONE walks out of the room feeling like they failed because of the way the questions scale to produce a score. If you don't know how the test works behind the scenes, definitely look into it.

Thank you that's good to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I know this is a super late reply, but I thought NREMT was pretty easy. I used Cliff Notes EMT cram course (or something like that) to study for mine... It helps also to do as much extra ride time as you can before hand... helps the concepts really stick when you can apply/relate them to real life situations!

Good luck and let us know how you do!!

It really wasn't that bad. However, due to the scaling of the questions you do come out of it feeling kind of ambivalent towards how you actually performed. Good luck!

EMT-B.... I understand a majority of all the concepts, I am very good at problem solving / elimination.

On a scale from 1-10? What would you think the test is on passing?

7/10 It's undeniably tough, and the stress of the test environment is the most challenging component. I used www.emtprep.com as my only study source and passed with minimum amount of Q's.

Most of my EMT students have told me that they felt it was ~4-5/10. The trick is to remember that NREMT questions almost always have the same style of answer choices. If you're given 4 answer choices, 2 will be completely (and often stupidly) wrong. The other 2 will both be "correct," but one is "more correct."

For example: You're given a scenario with a nasty trauma patient and asked what is the most appropriate next course of action after ensuring scene safety. Your answer choices are:
  1. Apply 100% oxygen via NRB
  2. Strangle the patient and tell him to "go towards the light."
  3. Ensure you have on proper BSI
  4. Use a gloved, lubricated fist to assess the patient's rectal tone
Giving O2 sounds great, but BSI comes first. Ya dig?

Reactions: 1 users
@Medic5522 I dig. Yeah that seemed pretty self-explanatory, does the EMT-b one differ from a Paramedics one?

NREMT = National Registery of Emergency Medical Technicians, so is that EMT-B through EMT-A?

(I know they have other things they take as you move up)

@Medic5522 I dig. Yeah that seemed pretty self-explanatory, does the EMT-b one differ from a Paramedics one?

NREMT = National Registery of Emergency Medical Technicians, so is that EMT-B through EMT-A?

(I know they have other things they take as you move up)
NREMT is the national governing body of EMS certification. States have individual licensing or certification organizations as well. NREMT covers EMT (no longer EMT-B, just EMT), AEMT, and NRP (previously NREMT-P).

The EMT test is wayyyyyy different than the paramedic test. The paramedic test is the same general format. However, the material is much more advanced since the paramedic curriculum covers cardiology, lots of pharmacology, physiology, advanced airway management, etc.