PASSED Cognitive NREMT, Psychomotor Exam Next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just passed my NREMT Cognitive Exam thankfully the very first time. I am working on memorizing the skill sheets for the NREMT psychomotor, but I feel like I need some hands-on experience. I have reached out to a couple schools in the area, one said that I could be TA and watch and help supervise their class. Which I will absolutely do, I will volunteer as a patient, and I will try to do some skills... I failed the first time in my class because I had to miss a day.. I missed simple stuff, like forgetting the head strap on the supine spinal stabilization... Not tightening the swine and swath enough. I just don't want to make the same mistake again, does anyone have any advice? My previous teachers were VERY strict on time and they couldn't make facial expressions or talk. I have done many clinical and felt very comfortable in hands-on scenarios. Test anxiety is part of the problem, but I guess I am asking for advice on proceeding?

Members don't see this ad.

Realize that it's your test, and people are evaluating you for what you know. Take your time, and realize that people are going to make you want to stop, or finish early, simply because you think you're inconveniencing them by working.

Verbalize everything, and verbalize to understand, not to regurgitate the sheets. For example:

"So they may have a head injury. We know they require CSP. Please take the head. He's taken the head. I'm moving on."

"I swathing to make sure they move barely at all. If they do, I will continue support and retighten as we go."

You need to fake confidence, if you don't have it already. You know this. If they see you struggling, they'll be inclined to doubt you. If you do struggle, just work through it verbally.

Realize that it's your test, and people are evaluating you for what you know. Take your time, and realize that people are going to make you want to stop, or finish early, simply because you think you're inconveniencing them by working.

Verbalize everything, and verbalize to understand, not to regurgitate the sheets. For example:

"So they may have a head injury. We know they require CSP. Please take the head. He's taken the head. I'm moving on."

"I swathing to make sure they move barely at all. If they do, I will continue support and retighten as we go."

You need to fake confidence, if you don't have it already. You know this. If they see you struggling, they'll be inclined to doubt you. If you do struggle, just work through it verbally.
Good advice, thank you.