How hard or easy is it for a DO grad to get a residency spot in emergency medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I guess to make this question a little broader, aside from Internal medicine and family medicine, which residencies are DOs most likely to land?

Members don't see this ad.

There is plenty of googling you can do to answer this question yourself. *Lots* of info out there about DOs in EM and what the generally difficult residencies to obtain for DOs are.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one knows. Really depends on how many residencies we wind up losing in the merger

I cant speculate on the future. But as of right now its a mildly competitive specialty. More competitive than IM Ped or FM, less competitive than surgery subs. I believe ive seen others call it equivalent to GS in competitiveness. Obviously this varies on the competitiveness of the specific residency itself though.

Would love to hear people's opinions on the future of EM for DOs and the field of EM in general if anybody has a solid link.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I cant speculate on the future. But as of right now its a mildly competitive specialty. More competitive than IM Ped or FM, less competitive than surgery subs. I believe ive seen others call it equivalent to GS in competitiveness. Obviously this varies on the competitiveness of the specific residency itself though.

Would love to hear people's opinions on the future of EM for DOs and the field of EM in general if anybody has a solid link.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

EM is much more DO friendly than GS, probably similar in competitiveness to IM

at least from seeing school match lists and this:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
I have worked with quite a few EM doctors that are DO's. I would assume EM has only become more friendly to DO's over time.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess to make this question a little broader, aside from Internal medicine and family medicine, which residencies are DOs most likely to land?

General surgery, ob-gyn, pathology, immunology, life is not the end of the world as a DO :)

just don't gun for neurosurgery or derm, the others are out there for the taking

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of DOs in the ER at my current job...level one trauma center, pretty nice community

EM is competitive because a lot of people want to do it. Around 20 people in my class matched EM. Most of them were average to slightly above average. However, the majority of people that failed to match in my class were applying for emergency medicine.

It's do able as a DO and you do not need to be a "rockstar."

EM is very DO friendly in terms of the "mid-level" competitive specialties.

80% of DOs applying for a fellowship get matched in comparison to 89% for MDs.

For premeds out there, just chill out. You won't have time for this discussion once you go through your study for the 1st two years.

I have worked with quite a few EM doctors that are DO's. I would assume EM has only become more friendly to DO's over time.
Definitely true, in the ED I work in (as a tech), every year we see an increase in the number of DO's that get matched at our hospital for EM. We have 4 new DO residents this year out of 9 total new residents. I'd say depending on location, you've got a decent chance to be matched into EM.

>75% of applicants to EM in my class ended up in EM, including myself. The majority of them ended up at ACGME programs too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
80% of DOs applying for a fellowship get matched in comparison to 89% for MDs.

For premeds out there, just chill out. You won't have time for this discussion once you go through your study for the 1st two years.

Got a source there broski?