How hard should I try to look young?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdLongshanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm combing my hair this morning and I say, "I'm going grey all of a sudden."

"No, Honey," my wife comforted me, "It isn't sudden."

I guess the reason I'm noticing now is that I have interviews in 2 weeks and I know that there is going to be a subtle bias against me because of my age. I'm wondering if I ought to make efforts to look younger. Should I die my hair a little? Find some younger style suits? My pot-belly is immovable, so there is nothing to be done there.

Members don't see this ad.

It happens to the best of us nontraditional students. :)

I would say do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and confident for your interview. The last thing you want to be doing is fretting about your appearance during the actual one-on-one. If accomplishing that means using a little Just for Men beforehand, so be it. Good luck!

So, I'm combing my hair this morning and I say, "I'm going grey all of a sudden."

I guess the reason I'm noticing now is that I have interviews in 2 weeks and I know that there is going to be a subtle bias against me because of my age. I'm wondering if I ought to make efforts to look younger. Should I die my hair a little? Find some younger style suits? My pot-belly is immovable, so there is nothing to be done there.

I wouldn't recommend dying your hair or getting younger looking suits. You'll want to feel like yourself, genuine, not like you're faking it. If you have in your mind that your age is something to cover up, interviewers will pick up on it and they'll believe it's a liability as well. If you are calm and confident that you bring a lot to the table, they'll believe that as well.

If the grey really worries you, just get your hair cut shortly before you interviews - grey usually shows up much less in shorter hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not as hard as this...

CreedOffice.jpg

Two weeks, eh? You should have ample time to throw in a quick lipo to take care of that potbelly while you're at it.

Ed, the goal here is to look professional at your interviews, not to look 12. Your DOB is written right on the first page of your AMCAS, and crazy as it may be, they invited you to interview anyway even with knowing how old you are. Rework your logic so that you can draw a more sensible conclusion from that, and best of luck on your interviews. :)

If you would feel better about yourself looking less gray, then go for it. Age bias is very real and can be countered if you look younger than you actually are. Don't do it if you makes you feel weird, though. Also, if you are under 30, I probably wouldn't bother because you probably don't look that old even with the grays.

Two weeks, eh? You should have ample time to throw in a quick lipo to take care of that potbelly while you're at it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You should try to look younger, so they'll get an idea that you are in a good shape and you'll be able to succeed. You should also try to look handsome. Attractive people get a few extra points.

But, don't dye your hair. First, it is noticeable. Second, grey hair doesn't necessarily make you look old. I know an ER doctor, who is in his late 30s and his hair is all white! Miraculously, he still looks his age.

So, just try to look your best, get some rest before the event, some sleep, get a good fitting suit in a color/style that suits you (and hides the flaws), AND a good-looking haircut. And you'll be fine without looking ridiculous.

Good luck

Oh Ed you are so funny:laugh:, I think you will be just fine! I went to see admissions people from a few different schools and they all complimented me about how well I would balance their next class BECAUSE of my age and life experiences, and yes I also have a few stubborn whites (I tried to dye but apparently they are here to stay white!) I also think you should look spiffy and neat, need to play the part of a physician in order to get the role:D. The interview is OUR domain since the person who will be interviewing might be yonger or the same age:thumbup: as we are. With everyone I meet from the adcoms I was super confortable and had a few good laughs w/ the person. Feel confident and and look aproachable!

Good Luck!!!!

FWIW - my boyfriend is 31, but has dyed his hair for 8 years because he started going grey early. It doesn't look fake (he uses just for men, I help him with it) - the key is to get the appropriate color, and don't try to change it from your natural color. It does make him look younger, which is important to him, but I like it either way. I wouldn't worry about it for interviews - I think it matters less for men. If it would make you feel more confident and less distracted re: age go for it.

In terms of visual image I'd worry more about clothing. A well-fitted suit (pot belly camo!!) with a strong blue shirt, an up-to-date tie, and polished shoes will convey the vitality and maturity that you bring to the table. I'm guessing that with your background you already know that though. :)

Don't worry so much about looking young; focus instead on looking your best. It will help with your confidence level, and Q has a good point that they already know your age. You have a lot to offer, don't try to be that "mutton-dressed-as-lamb" dude. You don't need it.

Don't worry so much about looking young; focus instead on looking your best. It will help with your confidence level, and Q has a good point that they already know your age. You have a lot to offer, don't try to be that "mutton-dressed-as-lamb" dude. You don't need it.

I have always had the goal in this app process that I would be myself 100% to the core, albeit my best self, but definitely ME.

They certainly know what they are getting. So if someone shows interest then you keep the same game going!

Stick to your guns Ed bro'man. Whatever person you are, be that. Whatever qualities you showed in the app, let them shine brighter than your age (young or old).

In the end, I usually like people because they aren't like everyone else. With that said, here is how I would dress up if there is an after party yo:

l75148705104_1847.jpg

I like that "mutton dressed as lamb" quote.

As you all can tell, I was having a little fun with this thread. I wasn't really going to go buy any Armani jeans. The dying the hair thing was a quick flirtation, but, frankly, its the thinness of the hair and not the color that makes a man look old - and there is nothing that can be done about that.

For a good haircut, I do know a good old fashioned barber. I rarely go to him because he is semi-retired and its hard to catch him in his shop, but I can make a specal appointment and pay him extra. I don't know what to do when the last old barber dies. There is no predictability to these strip mall *-Cuts places. The girls that succeed there usually do so by the size of their bosoms rather than the skill of their scissors. I wish I knew where I could go where money could assure a quality cut.

Well, I have the opposite problem. Was volunteering in my local ED over the weekend and befriended some fellow volunteers. They asked me what high school I attend - my 10 year reunion is this year.

I'm hoping the adcoms will take me more seriously in my interview attire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the opposite problem, and unfortunately there is no convincing anyone that I'm over 20. I assume that your age, and experiences/maturity will be more of a plus for you than someone in my shoes. It is easier to take someone seriously if they have actually had time to live life before pursuing a career that requires such time and dedication. Good luck :) wouldn't it be nice if age didn't matter...

Business in the front, party bingo in the back.

I know what's happening. NOW, I'm having a mid-life crisis. The mid-life crisis wasn't the determination to have a second career - it was wanting to dye my hair and look young.

Ok, crisis averted. I'll go back to my wrangler jeans and wide neck-ties now.

I have the opposite problem, and unfortunately there is no convincing anyone that I'm over 20. I assume that your age, and experiences/maturity will be more of a plus for you than someone in my shoes. It is easier to take someone seriously if they have actually had time to live life before pursuing a career that requires such time and dedication. Good luck :) wouldn't it be nice if age didn't matter...

What's really sad is that I'm nearly 30, been going grey in spots since I was in high school and people mostly think I'm a teen. I have no idea what people are going to think of me next time I need to interview or do something similar.

LOL Ed! :laugh: I'd invest in a really good haircut (go to a good salon which you'd probably consider a "women's salon") and a more modern cut of suit instead of coloring your hair. Look good as you are. You can do it! We're all rooting for you.

If you've got all your hair (or at least most of it) still, I totally think you should rock the grays and forget all this nonsense about dying your hair. George Clooney? Check. Anderson Cooper? Check. Total silver foxes. My husband is starting to gray a little and I am pretty much overly excited about the prospect of him being a silver fox. Personally, I think it is damn sexy.

If the hair is very thin (think, bald on top with some thin sprouts still), I would recommend shaving it. Like all the way shaved, with a Bic, provided you don't have an extremely misshapen head. Definitely don't do a comb-over or anything similarly horrific, but from my observations, having some hair up there almost points out the surrounding thinning like, "Haha! This guy is f*ckin' bald, yo!"

PS. You will do awesome, no matter what. Just like everyone else said, dress to look and feel your best and most comfortable. We are all rooting for you here!

Dearest... you are overly stressed about the ordeal. Interviewing is talking. That is one of many things you're best at. As for looks ... you clean up nicely.

Maybe consider a a man corset?

Seriously, though, some grey hairs help one to look doctorly. You earned them, so "bare" them proudly.

Ed has managed to a 34'' waist sound as if he is a miniature buddha - only with hair. :laugh:

You are what you eat: Consume lots of vegetables, fruits, fish oil, good protein, plenty of water. Cut out processed food, bad carbs, sodas etc. I guarantee you will look better. Your skin will glow.

Skin care is important. If you have healthy, smooth skin, you will look and feel younger. Whatever it takes, make sure your skin looks better. Even if you have to get botox, facials etc.

Also, exercise is very important. It will also make you look younger and more fresh.

Wear new and sharp looking clothing, a nice watch, nice shoes etc.

Looking older is a plus. You look more mature and distinguished. But if you look unhealthy, and you're older, people will notice it. If you look older but are very healthy looking, you may have an advantage.

Remember, perception is everything, and when people are dealing with you, they're going to have more respect and take you a lot more seriously than if you look like a kid.

I like that "mutton dressed as lamb" quote.

As you all can tell, I was having a little fun with this thread. I wasn't really going to go buy any Armani jeans. The dying the hair thing was a quick flirtation, but, frankly, its the thinness of the hair and not the color that makes a man look old - and there is nothing that can be done about that.

For a good haircut, I do know a good old fashioned barber. I rarely go to him because he is semi-retired and its hard to catch him in his shop, but I can make a specal appointment and pay him extra. I don't know what to do when the last old barber dies. There is no predictability to these strip mall *-Cuts places. The girls that succeed there usually do so by the size of their bosoms rather than the skill of their scissors. I wish I knew where I could go where money could assure a quality cut.

Embrace the baldness. Have them run clipper #2 across your silvery pate and you'll feel like a new man. And your wife might like the peach fuzz.

Embrace the baldness. Have them run clipper #2 across your silvery pate and you'll feel like a new man. And your wife might like the peach fuzz.

LOL, no, no. My hairline may have receded an inch or two, but I'm not ready to surrender yet.

LOL, no, no. My hairline may have receded an inch or two, but I'm not ready to surrender yet.

You just have to look at it the right way. There's a bright side to everything. You're not losing hair, you're gaining face. A lot of people go to great lengths to avoid losing face. You, though, you've got face to spare. You don't have to worry about losing a little face here or there, because you're so facious that it's really not a problem.

You just have to look at it the right way. There's a bright side to everything. You're not losing hair, you're gaining face. A lot of people go to great lengths to avoid losing face. You, though, you've got face to spare. You don't have to worry about losing a little face here or there, because you're so facious that it's really not a problem.

Is this what you're talking about?

Clipper #2 man. You can get a kit a Walgreens.

Attachments

• forehead.jpg
    forehead.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 66

Oh no. No, no, no. Bic it, man. Seriously. Take control of the baldness and own it. Otherwise there is no other choice than to have it own you.

Oh no. No, no, no. Bic it, man. Seriously. Take control of the baldness and own it. Otherwise there is no other choice than to have it own you.
Yeah, but remember when Scottie Pippen shaved his head? It can go terribly wrong.

Yeah, but remember when Scottie Pippen shaved his head? It can go terribly wrong.

True. Hence the earlier caveat of not having a horribly misshapen head. Generally, however, I think it looks better.

True. Hence the earlier caveat of not having a horribly misshapen head. Generally, however, I think it looks better.

Yep. Dress sharp, be comfortable in your own skin. Your confidence and experience will seize the day.

You all are having too much fun. It ain't THAT bad

Attachments

• hairline.png
    hairline.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
splurge on a sharp suit (read: hugo boss) :D

A final word on the hair: Leave it just the way it is. Perfect amount of silver foxiness. ;) Oh, and maturity and distinction. That too.

You will do awesome. GL! :luck:

Just be awesome. Good luck!

Didn't even notice the date. I figured he was interviewing for residency since OP = med student.

I think Ed's probably starting second year now... or he's disappeared off the face of the earth into a textbook.

Interesting post regardless.