MD How has being a year or more removed from anything academic impacted your performance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankLake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking because my deferral request has been approved, and I’m starting to wonder if or how much of a negative impact that time in between might have on my ability to do well, and what I can do now to prevent that.

Members don't see this ad.

i really hope it doesnt because iv been out for 5+ Years and am really worried about exactly this

Members don't see this ad :)
i really hope it doesnt because iv been out for 5+ Years and am really worried about exactly this
After 5+ years might take a little more time to get back on the horse, and be a little rough at the beginning, but remember that everyone who is starting with you, whether they just finished UG 3 months prior, has never been exposed to the volume of information before either.

While the consensus is to not "pre-study" it maybe useful to take a look at info from the MCAT, to refresh your foundation, if it's been a bit since you took the exam.

I took 2 years between UG and med school, and have been doing fine. I'd recommend doing some research and putting together a study plan/method based on your school's curriculum and your preferences, so you can hit the ground running. They ease you into it ("ease" is a strong word), but you'll have time to adapt.

Reactions: 1 user
Ill be honest, the people that seem to be doing the best in my class are the ones who have taken at least a year between undergrad and medical school

I think that pre-clinical years might have been easier coming straight out of undergrad, but the work experience I had before med school definitely helped me in the clinical years. That being said, I agree with what previous poster said in that no one has been exposed to the volume of material you're exposed to in med school, so everyone is definitely lost for a decent amount of time either way. I don't think there's anything you can do to prep yourself, and if you're interested in what people think you should do in the meantime, read one of the million other threads on the issue of pre-studying vs not. My opinion is that pre-studying will do you more harm than good.