How has coronavirus affected your University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ADA just put a statement out recommending Urgent care only for 3 weeks. I assume most schools will follow suit.

Reactions: 4 users
Expect every clinic to shut down, aside from emergency services.

662F5D0F-BD81-4EE7-9D1D-3D08386270A9.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rumor has it southern california Western boarda cancelled, and Loma Linda, USC, UCLA all debating and likely to cancel.

i think its crazy to Cancel. Every surface is disinfected and if patients are screened for fevers etc on the way in.
If they push it back? Till when? June? Its only going to get worse. Then how many of us are stranded without licenses?
Im glad Im going into residency.
Still need a license for residency don’t you

Still need a license for residency don’t you
We are going into med school almost immediately so i bet it can be avoided in this case. At least for a while if needed.

Reactions: 2 users
D4 here,

Clinics have been closed until April 6 with CDCA/ADEX continuing as scheduled on April 18-19 (for now...)

Those of us who don’t have boards patients solidified yet will have to find them in 9 days to sit for the exam.

Yay.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Our clinic is closed for the next 3 weeks, with the dean heavily implying it will likely be longer than that. Already getting restless 2 days in.. yikes.

PS: I realize the model in the picture would have more credibility with you all if she were wearing Figs scrubs. I apologize for the shortcoming, but my point still stands.

I did not understand this was a dental related post until the Figs reference. Thank you for clarifying Big Hoss.

Well, who knows when this outbreak is controlled in the US? Task force projects it’ll wane down in August, which is 2 months after your proposed start date. Has your program director given you any information with regards to this?

Not at all.
Im going into OMFS at my home program so its easier to transition at the very least.

We go into med school our first year so we will probably just start up with them. Shouldnt affect much.

Reactions: 1 user
Word is out that the California Dental Schools' Seniors will NOT be able to graduate on time this year. Dugoni is especially vulnerable given their 3-year program. None of the schools ever planned for something like this!

Getting worried about how long this will continue for... Where I'm headed, the university is moving all students out of residence halls and is eliminating all labs until the end of summer (not sure if that would apply to the dental school...)

Word is out that the California Dental Schools' Seniors will NOT be able to graduate on time this year. Dugoni is especially vulnerable given their 3-year program. None of the schools ever planned for something like this!

My school barely figured out how to close clinic a couple days ago. I find it hard to believe any official stance has already been made on us graduating on time. Especially when many of us have done everything needed besides WREB.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school barely figured out how to close clinic a couple days ago. I find it hard to believe any official stance has already been made on us graduating on time. Especially when many of us have done everything needed besides WREB.
Yea, this is more likely the truth. Things are changing every day. They will get students out of school any way possible. Holding you up is the LAST thing they want.

We have been told we’ll be out likely until late April/early May, could be longer. The university itself shut down for the rest of the semester. CDCA cancelled until prob late May. Peak corona won’t even hit until 6 weeks from now so places saying that they’ll be closed for only 2 weeks aren’t serious.

Source for 6 week prediction?
Models/analytics. In NY it was predicted the peak would occur in 45 days, as of Tuesday. It’s an estimate but the peak won’t be next week either. This is going to last for months.

Our Dean is looking at creating clinic hours in the evening and Saturdays to help the students catch up and/ or graduate. Nothing is confirmed, but he said this in an email. I imagine other schools are suggesting the same.

Our Dean is looking at creating clinic hours in the evening and Saturdays to help the students catch up and/ or graduate. Nothing is confirmed, but he said this in an email. I imagine other schools are suggesting the same.
Now now, but when this thing is over right?

lol what a joke tbh

lol what a joke tbh
I agree. Why aren't CODA or the relevant state accreditation bodies amending requirements due to this crisis? Has no one contacted them? Schools seem to have their arms tied by these bodies, so perhaps our attention needs to be directed toward them. Will ASDA be of any help with all this seeing as they're supposed to represent dental student interests on a national level? What have they said so far? Seems like everyone is doing a whole lot of nothing...

• Angry

I'd imagine there are huge union issues regarding this. I doubt the contracts of the dispensary, staff, housekeeping, faculty, etc. allow all the extra hours.

I'd imagine there are huge union issues regarding this. I doubt the contracts of the dispensary, staff, housekeeping, faculty, etc. allow all the extra hours.

Would require “volunteer staff”. There was a lot to the email. I just didn’t include it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Why aren't CODA or the relevant state accreditation bodies amending requirements due to this crisis? Has no one contacted them? Schools seem to have their arms tied by these bodies, so perhaps our attention needs to be directed toward them. Will ASDA be of any help with all this seeing as they're supposed to represent dental student interests on a national level? What have they said so far? Seems like everyone is doing a whole lot of nothing...

There is a push to allow the restorative portion of the board exams to be on typodonts. But you’ll need approval from the Board. So hopefully they help you out.

Only a crazy person would get elective dental work done at this time

Reactions: 2 users
I'm concerned about the graduating seniors. I wasn't before, now I'm not sure. School has said they are going to get the rest of the requirements and competencies done on mannequins, but at this point, when will they bring them back to school to do them? States are shutting down into May, and there's a good chance these lockdowns extend beyond that. Any D4s have info?

I'm concerned about the graduating seniors. I wasn't before, now I'm not sure. School has said they are going to get the rest of the requirements and competencies done on mannequins, but at this point, when will they bring them back to school to do them? States are shutting down into May, and there's a good chance these lockdowns extend beyond that. Any D4s have info?

Honestly, last night I was thinking that we really should start contacting our class presidents, school administrators, CODA, etc. There needs to be more communicated to us on this matter. All I keep getting from my school are emails on the virtues of distance learning. I think administrators may be holding out to see when they can bring us back before they send us any info, but I'd like to see what their plan B is in case the lockdowns last longer.

Honestly, last night I was thinking that we really should start contacting our class presidents, school administrators, CODA, etc. There needs to be more communicated to us on this matter. All I keep getting from my school are emails on the virtues of distance learning. I think administrators may be holding out to see when they can bring us back before they send us any info, but I'd like to see what their plan B is in case the lockdowns last longer.

CODA is figuring it out. They don’t have an answer yet. I’m a resident and our director has been in direct contact with them. Our director said, “they are concerned” so we are basically doing as much at home learning as we can and documenting it. The reason you guys don’t have answers is because no one has any clue how long this will last and how to make up for lost clinic time. That’s why they are encouraging the important of at home learning right now because that oddly could make a difference.

I truly don’t think they are holding info back. If your governor shut down non-emergency care until May, their hands are tied until that date.

CODA is figuring it out. They don’t have an answer yet. I’m a resident and our director has been in direct contact with them. Our director said, “they are concerned” so we are basically doing as much at home learning as we can and documenting it. The reason you guys don’t have answers is because no one has any clue how long this will last and how to make up for lost clinic time. That’s why they are encouraging the important of at home learning right now because that oddly could make a difference.

I truly don’t think they are holding info back. If your governor shut down non-emergency care until May, their hands are tied until that date.

Agreed, no one is holding information back. Everyone is just trying to figure things out. We're beholden to CODA, state governments, and school policies. Without a timeline, it's hard for any organization. All anyone can do right now is wait for the heads to work something out.

My school is working on adding an addendum to the state legislation to have the state accept manikin based licensure exams. Its backed by our dean but ultimately the state dental association, state board, and cita need to be on board also so we will see where it goes

The Pennsylvania Dept of Public Health yesterday apparently put out a MANDATE that no dental treatment can take place unless all providers have on the appropriate PPE (N95 masks, shields, gowns, gloves, etc) and then here's the real kicker, all treatment HAS to take place in a NEGATIVE PRESSURE room!! In a conversation with a bunch of dentists here in my home state of CT about what the various DPH's are trying to do now, a couple of my colleagues, who are alums of all 3 Pennsylvania schools and a couple are in regular contact with the deans of UPENN and Temple, apparently to the knowledge of the deans, there are NO negative pressure treatment rooms in the entire state of PA, and certainly not within the entire UPENN system of hospitals/clinics.

Thus, with the likely over reaction of feedback by epidemiologist talking with the PA DPH, the intended actions to keep emergency dental patients out of the ER's by the ADA's recommendations for treating emergency patients during this crisis, PA now has a massive access to dental care problem, and in theory until that mandate is amended or rescinded, PA dentists are either not working or having to face the significant costs of installing negative pressure treatment room systems :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

My school is working on adding an addendum to the state legislation to have the state accept manikin based licensure exams. Its backed by our dean but ultimately the state dental association, state board, and cita need to be on board also so we will see where it goes

must be nice - ours is only proposing temp licenses valid for 90 days which is a horrendous solution for anyone with a brain.

my school is looking at giving us exams that are taken at home through Examsoft exam monitor. Does anyone have experience using this? They said it monitors your movement and sounds which seems pretty intense.

The Pennsylvania Dept of Public Health yesterday apparently put out a MANDATE that no dental treatment can take place unless all providers have on the appropriate PPE (N95 masks, shields, gowns, gloves, etc) and then here's the real kicker, all treatment HAS to take place in a NEGATIVE PRESSURE room!! In a conversation with a bunch of dentists here in my home state of CT about what the various DPH's are trying to do now, a couple of my colleagues, who are alums of all 3 Pennsylvania schools and a couple are in regular contact with the deans of UPENN and Temple, apparently to the knowledge of the deans, there are NO negative pressure treatment rooms in the entire state of PA, and certainly not within the entire UPENN system of hospitals/clinics.

Thus, with the likely over reaction of feedback by epidemiologist talking with the PA DPH, the intended actions to keep emergency dental patients out of the ER's by the ADA's recommendations for treating emergency patients during this crisis, PA now has a massive access to dental care problem, and in theory until that mandate is amended or rescinded, PA dentists are either not working or having to face the significant costs of installing negative pressure treatment room systems :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

When does the PA mandate expire?

my school is looking at giving us exams that are taken at home through Examsoft exam monitor. Does anyone have experience using this? They said it monitors your movement and sounds which seems pretty intense.
yea, it takes a video of you taking the exam and when the exam footage is uploaded to the examsoft, proctorU analyzes the recording.

Hi All - I hope you and your loved ones are all well. Can anyone at Creighton share whether your ADEX exam is still going to proceed as scheduled? My husband was planning to travel there for his ADEX exam on April 18-19 and hasn't heard any updates. His school is closed until April 17 (but it could be longer) and that leaves no time to find a patient. We are just trying to decide if we should get him rescheduled for a new location, or if it is likely the test will go on as planned. Thanks in advance!

Hi All - I hope you and your loved ones are all well. Can anyone at Creighton share whether your ADEX exam is still going to proceed as scheduled? My husband was planning to travel there for his ADEX exam on April 18-19 and hasn't heard any updates. His school is closed until April 17 (but it could be longer) and that leaves no time to find a patient. We are just trying to decide if we should get him rescheduled for a new location, or if it is likely the test will go on as planned. Thanks in advance!

Can’t speak for Creighton specifically, but our school was to host CDCA/ADEX on April 18-19 and in mid May and both have been cancelled. If I were a betting man (which I am), I’d say it’s no longer going to be held.

I say all students and residents get pushed back a semester. We're looking at December at the earliest.

Given my incredible wealth of knowledge regarding cinema and the art that is video games, this is my assessment.

WREB/NERB/ADEX are up in the air. Requirement for pre-doc are in the air. Residencies cant bring in new residents when majority haven’t graduated. School base residents cant leave if they’re covering pre-doc emergencies. Prometric centers are highly restricted. Highly contagious disease and everything that is being done is to help the hospitals manage the inflow

We need a vaccine and thats at least a year out if proper clinical trials are done.

I say all students and residents get pushed back a semester. We're looking at December at the earliest.

Given my incredible wealth of knowledge regarding cinema and the art that is video games, this is my assessment.

WREB/NERB/ADEX are up in the air. Requirement for pre-doc are in the air. Residencies cant bring in new residents when majority haven’t graduated. School base residents cant leave if they’re covering pre-doc emergencies. Prometric centers are highly restricted. Highly contagious disease and everything that is being done is to help the hospitals manage the inflow

We need a vaccine and thats at least a year out if proper clinical trials are done.
My school recently said that they anticipate D4’s to be able to graduate in early June, which sounds too optimistic in my opinion.

My school recently said that they anticipate D4’s to be able to graduate in early June, which sounds too optimistic in my opinion.

We just pushed back only urgent care mandate for additional two weeks(4/20). I suspect it will be longer

US cases passed China yesterday, and will hit 100,000 cases today - 200,000 cases next week, and the curve won’t flatten for at least 2-3 more weeks. If you include the existing 2-3 weeks lockdowns, that’s 6-8 weeks minimum, which is a hell of a lot of time to be off from any school or program. All schools have to push everything back a semester - or they will graduate people have baked while taking their money.

CODA is having discussions with ADEA and school deans to supposedly figure a way to get everyone out and going as smoothly as possible.

It really depends on CODA and their ability to flexible with # of hours spent in clinic/school. I’d say 75% of people in my class are finished with graduation requirements and other than politics, there is absolutely no reason for us to be delayed in the receiving of a degree. In other words, no way this drags out until December from a graduation standpoint.

Can’t speak for Creighton specifically, but our school was to host CDCA/ADEX on April 18-19 and in mid May and both have been cancelled. If I were a betting man (which I am), I’d say it’s no longer going to be held.

Thank you for the info! It seems ADEX is in the midst of completely changing/updating their exam calendar - so I will just keep my eyes peeled for a Creighton update. Good luck to all of you future DDSs (and DMDs) I hope your boards/graduations/finding jobs all happen as smoothly as possible.

Real question is will there be jobs for new graduates in this economy

Reactions: 8 users
It really depends on CODA and their ability to flexible with # of hours spent in clinic/school. I’d say 75% of people in my class are finished with graduation requirements and other than politics, there is absolutely no reason for us to be delayed in the receiving of a degree. In other words, no way this drags out until December from a graduation standpoint.

And those around the country who aren't done and have been accepted to residences? Or those in residencies that aren't done yet with their requirements?

Hopefully we'll find out soon. Just a messy situation all the way around and I dont expect pre-doc students to be seeing patients by May. Theres 67 accredited dental schools and however many residency programs. They all need to be on the same page or whatever cogs that are thrown into this system will change things for years to come.

Last edited:
Same for seniors in our school, but according to our deans they can’t be let go yet even if most of them have finished their requirements because CODA needs a certain number of hours in the program. The deans are trying to propose early June as graduation date but I don’t see that being very feasible.

Last edited:
Real question is will there be jobs for new graduates in this economy

Couple of friends (dentists) of mine who work at Pacific Dental DSO have been told their daily minimum would be dropped from $600/day to $250/day couple of weeks ago. Essentially losing more than 50% of their income - since many states have restricted their dental offices to emergencies only. They both filed for unemployment since.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Graduation ceremony has been pushed to fall at my school. No word on requirements yet or distribution of diplomas though