• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

taeyeonlover

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
M1 here. I was offered to work in a research lab at a top 5 med in a big city during the summer between M1 and M2 year. I will not be a part of any summer fellowship program, so the PI will be paying me with his own money. I haven't discussed yet how much he will be paying me.

I was also thinking about going back to my home country and just relaxing there during the summer.

I am just wondering how useful doing research during summer between M1 and M2 year is. Does working in a basic science lab during the summer really boost your residency apps?

Before starting medical school, I worked in a number of research labs and was fortunate to have about 5 pubs with 2 more coming soon this year (mostly 3rd author or so and no 1st author). Are these helpful even though they were done before medical school?

I want to use this summer wisely since during the school year since I do not have much time for extracurricular activities especially research. At the same time, I want to relax and recharge since M2 year is I am sure harder than M1 year.

Would love to hear some advice!

AzBasRad

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
bit.ly
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do you have a speciality in mind? Certain ultra competitive ones like neurosurgery, plastics, derm etc expect field specific research, so I recommend joining a productive clinical research lab and making connections with faculty/PI.

Since you have > 5 pubs, you already fulfill the research checkbox for specialities that may not care about specific research.

taeyeonlover

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do you have a speciality in mind? Certain ultra competitive ones like neurosurgery, plastics, derm etc expect field specific research, so I recommend joining a productive clinical research lab and making connections with faculty/PI.

Since you have > 5 pubs, you already fulfill the research checkbox for specialities that may not care about specific research.

Would making connections at my medical school instead of doing a brief summer research at another institution be much more useful?

About the Ads

AzBasRad

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
bit.ly
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Absolutely. In terms of research, productivity is the most important factor, as it can potentially lead to both publications and a strong letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 user

SurfingDoctor

"I'm having a wonderful time"
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Omicron Persei 8
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Doing research during medical school is a better residency application builder than working at Starbucks (...unless they have some new Starbucks medical internship I'm unaware of).

Dr. Venture Capitalist

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Doing research during medical school is a better residency application builder than working at Starbucks (...unless they have some new Starbucks medical internship I'm unaware of).
you didn’t hear? Starbuck has a medical students applying botox. In their new pumpkin spice botox offers

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.