How helpful is summer research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here. I was offered to work in a research lab at a top 5 med in a big city during the summer between M1 and M2 year. I will not be a part of any summer fellowship program, so the PI will be paying me with his own money. I haven't discussed yet how much he will be paying me.

I was also thinking about going back to my home country and just relaxing there during the summer.

I am just wondering how useful doing research during summer between M1 and M2 year is. Does working in a basic science lab during the summer really boost your residency apps?

Before starting medical school, I worked in a number of research labs and was fortunate to have about 5 pubs with 2 more coming soon this year (mostly 3rd author or so and no 1st author). Are these helpful even though they were done before medical school?

I want to use this summer wisely since during the school year since I do not have much time for extracurricular activities especially research. At the same time, I want to relax and recharge since M2 year is I am sure harder than M1 year.

Would love to hear some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a speciality in mind? Certain ultra competitive ones like neurosurgery, plastics, derm etc expect field specific research, so I recommend joining a productive clinical research lab and making connections with faculty/PI.

Since you have > 5 pubs, you already fulfill the research checkbox for specialities that may not care about specific research.

Do you have a speciality in mind? Certain ultra competitive ones like neurosurgery, plastics, derm etc expect field specific research, so I recommend joining a productive clinical research lab and making connections with faculty/PI.

Since you have > 5 pubs, you already fulfill the research checkbox for specialities that may not care about specific research.

Would making connections at my medical school instead of doing a brief summer research at another institution be much more useful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. In terms of research, productivity is the most important factor, as it can potentially lead to both publications and a strong letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing research during medical school is a better residency application builder than working at Starbucks (...unless they have some new Starbucks medical internship I'm unaware of).
you didn’t hear? Starbuck has a medical students applying botox. In their new pumpkin spice botox offers