How hopeless is the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rav4182

Another Brick In the Wall
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am weight-listed at 4 schools. THis is depressing, i really thought i'd be in by now. I've already started restudying for the dat and plan on taking it in may. Does anyone know the liklihood of getting an acceptance from weight list at this point?

As the weightlist even started to move yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I am weight-listed at 4 schools. THis is depressing, i really thought i'd be in by now. I've already started restudying for the dat and plan on taking it in may. Does anyone know the liklihood of getting an acceptance from weight list at this point?

As the weightlist even started to move yet?

Look at the positive side, you didn't get rejected at 4 schools, plus I think most schools have started sending out their second round of acceptances and people who have been holding multiple spots are going to have to make up their mind soon.

Do you think that your DAT score was your liability?

it is certainly a heavy burden to bear. i don't think the lists have budged yet, but momentum should slowly build as more people pick schools and eventually you might find things have lightened up enough to find yourself with an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up on it. The wait lists are movin. I was wait listed at all 6 of my interviews Dec 1, and have since gotten in at 3 schools from the wait list, the third being today! So keep your head up.

my dat wasnt bad 20aa 21ts 19pa

buts its easier for me to just retake the dat and aim for a 22+ vs. taking more classes cuz i've been tutoring ochem and gchem for the past 6 months.

Like the others have said, keep your head up! People are going to have to choose between schools soon, so it's not over yet!

Maybe you could let individual schools know that you're still highly interested in them? Is that something that people do for dental schools? I'm asking because I'm not sure whether that's acceptable. I know you don't want to bother the admissions committee, but you'd still want them to know who you are. So I don't know.

my dat wasnt bad 20aa 21ts 19pa

buts its easier for me to just retake the dat and aim for a 22+ vs. taking more classes cuz i've been tutoring ochem and gchem for the past 6 months.

Your DAT scores are good, but I think that's a fair plan just in case you need to reapply next cycle (you'd want to add to your application in some way), especially since you've been tutoring chem for the past few months.

The hopeless one is called the rejection list ;-)

not trying to be pessimistic, but I got a 22t, 21science, and 20 PAT and I am waitlisted just like you. I'm kinda losing hope too.

I got 22AA 22TS 22PAT with mid-3.6gpa...and I am still on the waiting list like you! lol

i dunno dood...im waitlisted at 1 school and thats worse than 4

Schools are still filling their seats and applicants are still holding numerous slots. It is a waiting game for you at this point, but you can be assured that there is going to be quite a bit of movement over the next few months. My class accepted people up until August...you just never know when a seat will open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm right there with you and have basically lost all hope and thinking about next year. On the true "waitlist" for 1 school and just haven't heard from 3 others which I assume means waitlist or rejection.

not trying to be pessimistic, but I got a 22t, 21science, and 20 PAT and I am waitlisted just like you. I'm kinda losing hope too.

I got 22AA 22TS 22PAT with mid-3.6gpa...and I am still on the waiting list like you! lol

What the hell? Do you guys have a criminal record? Did you a kill a man just to watch him die?

What the hell? Do you guys have a criminal record? Did you a kill a man just to watch him die?

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing.

But to OP, I would wait to see the results of this cycle before signing up to retake the DAT. You have decent/competitive scores. I would call the schools, set an appointment to speak with the dean, be sincere when asking questions, ask for updates, ask where you are on the waitlist, etc. It's not like they can go "Oh, this applicant is TOO interested in our school. We better reject him/her!" In other words, it can only help but not hurt.

ive called all the schools multiple times and asked for status updates. i've sent thank you letters to a few of them. after a certain point its best to just back off and let them do their thing.

i was arrested a few times my freshmen year of college for some petty things like tresspassing, drinking underage, etc. but nothing serious. i've explained this to all my schools. hopefully they understand that im human and mistakes like everyone else.

Haha "weight-listed"...I guess because its becoming a heavy burden? Hehe!

Keep your faith! If you really want to get in, you will!

Where are you guys waitlisted ? How many schools have you applied to ? I know many people with lower GPA and DAT score than you guys that have multiple acceptance .
Best of Luck

Don't give up hope!

Did you receive any awards or honors, or did anything else life-changing in these past two months or did you just sit on your butt? Anything that gets the admission officers to take a second look at you probably can help somewhat when it comes time for them to look at the wait list.

Don't give up hope!

Did you receive any awards or honors, or did anything else life-changing in these past two months or did you just sit on your butt? Anything that gets the admission officers to take a second look at you probably can help somewhat when it comes time for them to look at the wait list.

theres really not much I CAN do at this point. i already graduated last may and have been working full time at a local college as a tutor. im prob gonna do some more shadowing in the upcoming months. theres nothing else really to add besides taking the dat again.

What's your GPA?

You do not have a DAT problem, that is not why you're getting waitlisted.

Hang in there, you never know!

What's your GPA?

You do not have a DAT problem, that is not why you're getting waitlisted.

3.5c/3.4s

some interviews i was just nervous so i understood their decesion. then some interviews i thought i did great but still got waitlisted. this has been a bumpy year for me so my mind has been all over the place. i made the mistake of not properly preparing for the first few interviews as well as i should have. i know myself well and thought if i just showed up to the interviews and be myself it would be enough. i realize now that interviewing is mostly a learned skill and i didnt prep properly. i wish i had done some mock interviews so i could catch some of the mistakes i made. but its too late dread on whats done. all im doing now is looking forward and learning from mistakes.

edit
im waitlisted at asdoh (high hold), usc, nova(high hold), temple

studing for dat is going good. i basically get paid to study at my job. im 10 chapters into the organic odyssey and getting most of the questions right my first time through. i think i have a good shot at scoring close to 30 for gc and oc

Last edited:
3.5c/3.4s

some interviews i was just nervous so i understood their decesion. then some interviews i thought i did great but still got waitlisted. this has been a bumpy year for me so my mind has been all over the place. i made the mistake of not properly preparing for the first few interviews as well as i should have. i know myself well and thought if i just showed up to the interviews and be myself it would be enough. i realize now that interviewing is mostly a learned skill and i didnt prep properly. i wish i had done some mock interviews so i could catch some of the mistakes i made. but its too late dread on whats done. all im doing now is looking forward and learning from mistakes.

edit
im waitlisted at asdoh (high hold), usc, nova(high hold), temple

studing for dat is going good. i basically get paid to study at my job. im 10 chapters into the organic odyssey and getting most of the questions right my first time through. i think i have a good shot at scoring close to 30 for gc and oc

you got a notification from asdoh? I never got anything after the interview session. weird.............. admissions lady told me that I will most likely receive an acceptance but I was never in their recent acceptance batches. never received ANY form of letter from them.

didn't you interview at tufts too? I remember seeing your ID on predent long ago. maybe not? I'm sure you will find a spot once the second deposit date comes along. good luck!

you got a notification from asdoh? I never got anything after the interview session. weird.............. admissions lady told me that I will most likely receive an acceptance but I was never in their recent acceptance batches. never received ANY form of letter from them.

didn't you interview at tufts too? I remember seeing your ID on predent long ago. maybe not? I'm sure you will find a spot once the second deposit date comes along. good luck!

i called asdoh and they told me i was on the high list. idk what happened with tufts. i thought the interview went great. it lasted like 40 minutes, longer than anyone elses. i had some endodontist interview me who was a hard ass. got denied, totally shocked considering i thought i aced the interview + they have a high acceptance ratio

i was arrested a few times my freshmen year of college for some petty things like tresspassing, drinking underage, etc. but nothing serious. i've explained this to all my schools. hopefully they understand that im human and mistakes like everyone else.

Since I can't think of many reasons you'd be waitlisted at all your schools, I think this might be your problem. Did you do something to show schools that you've grown/learned from these experiences?

Since I can't think of many reasons you'd be waitlisted at all your schools, I think this might be your problem. Did you do something to show schools that you've grown/learned from these experiences?

um..it was like 5 years ago and i havent gotten in trouble since.

That's still enough for them to not give you the nod, or in your case, waitlisted. Do these situations ever come up during interviews?

That's still enough for them to not give you the nod, or in your case, waitlisted. Do these situations ever come up during interviews?

yes, they came up in several of my interviews. i was honest and told them what happened. i didnt commit any crimes or do something morally wrong. they were "wrong place, wrong time" incidents. i was humble and admitted to have made mistakes like most humans.

but whatever, im done writing on this blog. no point in explaining myself to random students over the country. thanks to those of you who are giving me encouragement. im just gonna keep doing my thing and working hard. hopefully my luck will turn around

I am weight-listed at 4 schools.

i think you have a good case for a lawsuit. discrimination by weight is not a huge problem yet, but it's a growing one. you could set a precedent if your case makes it to the supreme court!

Keep your chin up! Good luck! I hope you get into school this cycle! :)

yes, they came up in several of my interviews. i was honest and told them what happened. i didnt commit any crimes or do something morally wrong. they were "wrong place, wrong time" incidents. i was humble and admitted to have made mistakes like most humans.

but whatever, im done writing on this blog. no point in explaining myself to random students over the country. thanks to those of you who are giving me encouragement. im just gonna keep doing my thing and working hard. hopefully my luck will turn around

By what you typed, I think you're answering the issue incorrectly. Underage drinking IS a crime, same with trespassing. Saying that they weren't means you're placing the blame else where other than yourself, indicating you're not taking responsibility for it.

If you want to retake your DAT then that's your decision, but I promise you that loads of students with lower DAT scores than you have gotten in. When you do get those interviews again, I urge you to answer the question about your misconduct in a different light. If you do get that 23+ on your DAT then that will probably push you over the edge, so good luck with that.

Last edited: