How I Improved My Verbal Score from 6 to 10 in Two Weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theyellowking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: The following is NOT a guarantee for everyone. Each of us has a unique take on the sections for the MCAT. That being said, however, I found that this method works extremely well in a short span of time and will get you a consistent score if you keep practicing! Enjoy.

Background: When I first took a practice test for the MCAT's, I received a 6 on the verbal. I always looked on Google for the best ways to improve my score, but I really never found that right method. Read New York Times articles? The Economist? Both? Scribble on the passage and map out the ideas? None of this worked out for me, which led me to experiment. And I think this is what will get you a higher score in any section: experiment and find the right way for you to study. Everyone has a different method for each section, so honing in and focusing on how you most effectively tackle a section (Verbal for this instance) will get you the best score you can get.

Now I realize that's a really general, cheesy answer, but I just wanted to start by stating that. Try what's best for you. If this doesn't work, heck, try something else!

Method: Before actually getting into the passages, there are a few things you have to keep in mind:
1) Get good rest and/or drink coffee/tea - Basically, you want to get your mind focused. Day dreaming or wishing you slept for 15 more minutes will take away your attention. I found that green tea works wonders for me, especially since I have to take the MCAT's at 8am.
2) As Michael Scott once said, "KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid." Always know the following for each passage:
i) What's the main idea of the passage?
ii) What is the author's opinion on this idea? Does he/she agree? Disagree?
iii) What's the tone of the author?
3) Never lean back - This is just something personal that I've noticed. Whenever I lean back on my chair, I never find myself focusing on the computer screen. Get close up! Keep 100% of your attention on the passage!
4) Always know that you can IMPROVE! Never think that just because you scored X in the last tests that you will always be stuck with that score! (Unless you have a 15... But why are you here in the first place? :shrug:)
5) Never skip through passages. Doing this will take away valuable time. Also, I found that sometimes the really hard passages will have extremely easy questions, or vice versa.

Again, these things you should have already known. However, I'll now get into the things that I think really helped me improve my score dramatically:

1) For each paragraph, jot down 3-5 words that really highlight the passage (NOTE: With eventual practice, you can substitute 1-3 letters or even symbols for a word and still know what it means).
2) After jotting these letters/words down, always look back at the end of each paragraph and read your notes. Do you understand what the author is saying? His/her tone? Is he bringing this idea up in the paragraph to agree with it? Disagree with it? (There a lot more questions, and as intimidating as this may seem, these questions will race through your mind once you get the hang of it)
3) After your 2nd paragraph, you want to connect your notes from the 1st with the 2nd. Is there a similarity between these? Do the same with the 3rd, except compare that with the 1st and 2nd. Keep doing this until you finish the whole thing
4) When you're done, take a 5 second break for your mind. Then, look at the passage as a whole through your notes, and you should see a string, the main idea, that the author presents to you.

NOTES:
1) Yes, this will consume a lot of your time at first. However, I found myself doing this in 2.5-3 minutes per passage, and quickly answering the questions!
2) This works with any verbal sources, whether that be EK, TPR, AAMC, etc.

Overall, I really hope this helps some of you guys. I started with a 5 on the first EK practice test (We all know how great those are :eyebrow:), and have now consistently scored 10 in my past 3 EK tests! For AAMC FL, I have also scored 10 on the last one I took, and considering that it was just 1 month ago that I received the 6 and just 2 weeks ago that I started this method, I'd say it's a success :clap:.

Feel free to post here and ask questions, and I'll be sure to help you out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I should also mention what I did before:
Essentially I just read the passage and went straight to the questions. While I think this may work for some people, I found myself confused and not sure what the author's main idea, tone, etc. were, which held me up on the questions, forcing me to read the passage again = vicious cycle.

Reactions: 1 user