how important are calc grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just bombed my first calc 3 test (56).... is it worth it to work my butt off to maybe pull off a b- or should i just drop the class and retake it? for some ******ed reason i need this class for a molecular biology degree at my school (lehigh). since this falls under the math/science/physics gpa, will adcoms look at this grade as closely as a science? i have a 3.5 as we speak. thanks a lot guys. im really stressing out about this.

Members don't see this ad.

hang in there...seek a tutor fast!!!! dropping a class may not be worth it...how are you going to explain it to medical school? if you say it was hard...then they'll have doubts about your intelligence and brilliance...i suggest sticking with calc 3 and getting a tutor--it could be the greatest accomplishment in your life!!! besides calc 3 looks really good on a med school app

In short, it's worth this many units:
863edf68595c2f967da19e1bea7068ed.png

this is the solution to:
f7685fe66e83b01c4c17e56fe78787e9.png

Members don't see this ad :)
jebus said:
In short, it's worth this many units:
863edf68595c2f967da19e1bea7068ed.png

this is the solution to:
f7685fe66e83b01c4c17e56fe78787e9.png

lol

da MD said:
i just bombed my first calc 3 test (56).... is it worth it to work my butt off to maybe pull off a b- or should i just drop the class and retake it? for some ******ed reason i need this class for a molecular biology degree at my school (lehigh). since this falls under the math/science/physics gpa, will adcoms look at this grade as closely as a science? i have a 3.5 as we speak. thanks a lot guys. im really stressing out about this.

A poor grade in any class will bring your overall GPA down, so that has some measurable effect on applying. Since its part of your BCPM GPA, it will also bring it down. Assuming you are on roughly the same schedule as I am, it may be passed the drop deadline to drop without getting a W. A W is not something good to have either. Although GPA isn't everything, getting sub-par grades adds up in the end, so don't make a habit of it.

In regards to why you have to take calculus for molecular biology. Like most other sciences, knowledge of calculus is helpful in appreciating the finer details of why things happen. As the saying goes, Biology is Chemistry, Chemistry is Physics, and Physics is Calculus. I recommend taking a better attitude at dealing with classes like calc. Although I wouldn't pick calculus as one of my top 10 favorite courses, I thought it was quite enlightening in terms of physiology, chemistry, physics to name a few.

Hang in there, revise study methods and attitude. It can only get worse from here in terms of classes. Thats why I never liked undergrad so much..lol. But thats what electives and grad school is for...so you can focus on things that you like.

im sure its not as bad as a B- in organic chemistry or biology or something. calc sucks (or i suck at calc) and im glad i am never taking it ever again. if it wasnt for math id have a 3.92 :( :( :(

DrHuang said:

Any BCPM course is important, calc is usually the only M people have to show.

All I took was Calc 1 and I barely made it with a B.

I don't ever want to think of another math course like that again!

I'm also at Lehigh and in Calc 23 (engineering Calc 3) and a molecular bio major. Now they only require you to take Calc 1 and 2. I'm currently a freshman and got ap credit for calc 1 and got an A in Calc 22 (Calc 2). I bombed my first test with a 54 and I know that the final has the potential to drop you down a grade letter. Think I should drop with a W? I'm really on the fence about this.