How important are my grades after submitting AMCAS app?

eartharte

Jan 2, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
After submitting the application, how important are my grades for the remainder of my undergrad career? Will med schools see the rest of my grades before making a decision? And if so, when?

Obviously I will still try to get all A's, but with the current COVID situation, I'm wondering as to how much pressure I should be putting on myself still.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Until you have secured an acceptance, grades still matter. If you haven't received an interview at schools by the end of the Fall semester, having strong Fall grades might be enough to swing an interview. If you are unsuccessful and have to reapply, you would absolutely want to make sure your final years' grades are as strong as possible. Once you do secure an acceptance, then just be sure not to fail any courses and you should be fine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Until you have secured an acceptance, grades still matter. If you haven't received an interview at schools by the end of the Fall semester, having strong Fall grades might be enough to swing an interview. If you are unsuccessful and have to reapply, you would absolutely want to make sure your final years' grades are as strong as possible. Once you do secure an acceptance, then just be sure not to fail any courses and you should be fine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Just to add, all acceptances are conditional and can be rescinded. Most acceptance agreements have something along the lines "maintain academic standards" which usually means C or better. Now some schools require C+ for prereqs so they could make the argument you need that. Additionally some schools will "review" of you GPA drops significantly (say 3.8 to a 3.2) as might in senior-itis. So, in short, keep up at least reasonably good work

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.