How important is class rank & prestige of school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bnichols0330

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a MS3 at a lower tier med school in the southeast & I want to do radiology. I'm not looking to go to a top notch program. In all honesty I'd like to stay in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, or Tennessee. My board scores are good, I have a little bit of research, and my GPA is ok. My question is how much does class rank play into the match? My class has exceptional scores for my school & I am in the bottom half of the class. I feel like my application will be competitive except for the question of why were you in the bottom half of the class at a lower tier med school?