how important is class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue_feiyan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked several times, but I was just wondering how important class rank is for ob/gyn? Our class is extremely competitive and being at the bottom of the class does not neccesarily mean you did poorly. I know they say as long as you can show your top choices of residencies that you are a team player and can interact well, that you have a really good shot. But you can't rotate everywhere you apply.

But realistically, what if you are nowhere near the top or even the middle of the class? I did pretty ok (about the range of matched OB applicants) on the boards (Step 1 at least) considering my rank in the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually not that important. Especially if it only includes grades from year 1,2 of med school. I know several people who shined in their clinical years but ranked in the bottom 1/3 of clasees that manged to get accepted to residencies in good programs. Having good letters of recommendation can help this deficiency.