How important is debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPWK2024

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as the cycle is winding down it’s time for some hard decisions. Fortunately I have the ability to choose between some great school, but debt is a very real thing that’s hindering me from deciding upon a school.

I currently have an A to one my top state schools, where I would only have to pay tuition as I would be able to stay with a relative for free. That would knock down my yearly cost to about 45K a year. Leaving medical school and undergrad with only ~200k of debt is a great thing. The match list here is amazing as well, and I would have no trouble matching in my state. However, I don’t know how happy I would be here. I lived in that area for most of my life, and I would like to branch out and experience something new.

On the other hand, I’m WLed at a T25 school. Since I wouldn’t expect any scholarship off the WL, I would probably have to pay 90K a year. All in all, I would owe about 400K after graduating, essentially doubling my debt load. However, the students here seemed much happier, and the match list is a powerhouse as expected for a school of its caliber. One negative is that it’s 500 miles from my family and SO, which would make it harder to see them.

Should I go with what makes me happy for 4 years, essentially doubling my debt load, or “suck it up” and be financially smart and do the right thing for my wallet. Would appreciate any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, as the cycle is winding down it’s time for some hard decisions. Fortunately I have the ability to choose between some great school, but debt is a very real thing that’s hindering me from deciding upon a school.

I currently have an A to one my top state schools, where I would only have to pay tuition as I would be able to stay with a relative for free. That would knock down my yearly cost to about 45K a year. Leaving medical school and undergrad with only ~200k of debt is a great thing. The match list here is amazing as well, and I would have no trouble matching in my state. However, I don’t know how happy I would be here. I lived in that area for most of my life, and I would like to branch out and experience something new.

On the other hand, I’m WLed at a T25 school. Since I wouldn’t expect any scholarship off the WL, I would probably have to pay 90K a year. All in all, I would owe about 400K after graduating, essentially doubling my debt load. However, the students here seemed much happier, and the match list is a powerhouse as expected for a school of its caliber. One negative is that it’s 500 miles from my family and SO, which would make it harder to see them.

Should I go with what makes me happy for 4 years, essentially doubling my debt load, or “suck it up” and be financially smart and do the right thing for my wallet. Would appreciate any insight!
I think it's a personal decision that strangers on the Internet really cannot make for you. $200K in extra debt is nothing to sneeze at, but you are going to be able to easily pay it back over time as a MD; only you can decide if whatever additional prestige, matching opportunities, etc. from the T25 is worth it. From a purely financial perspective it makes no sense, but it's not a purely financial question. One bit of good news -- unless or until you are called off the WL, you don't have to make any decision at all!! Good luck!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

A few thoughts:
- Until you get off that waitlist, you do not have a "hard decision" to make. Higher ranked schools tend to be more generous with scholarships, so the actual cost may be similar or even lower.
- Don't overestimate the differences in "happiness" between schools, and recognize that what you see on a given interview day is not representative of the school. You may have seen students on their exam date, or perhaps saw the debby-downers in the class, etc. Medical school is medical school. A student who's miserable at school A would likely be similarly miserable at school B. There certainly are factors that will influence quality of life though: mandatory lectures, P/F preclinical grading, proximity to friends/family, urban vs rural setting, etc. but my observation is that premeds tend to overestimate the effect these will have, and even give importance to features that should be irrelevant (e.g student to cadaver ratio, newness of facilities).
- Do not underestimate the importance of debt and financial freedom. This theoretical extra $200k in debt, once interest is factored in, will delay your retirement by a few to several years at a minimum (depending on loan forgiveness), and may necessitate living like a student and/or continuing to work like a resident after finishing residency/fellowship. By taking on additional debt, you are sacrificing future time with your family and loved ones, and limiting your ability to give them (and yourself) nice things.
- On the flip side though, do not assume that you can live with your relative for free for the full four years. They may (God forbid) lose their home, relations may sour, etc. Depending on how far they are from the school, you may also want to find a place closer to the hospital especially for your clinical rotations.
- You can always branch outside your state for residency, fellowship, and/or your first job. Based on the information you provided, if no scholarship is given to the T25 and if the difference is truly $200k, then staying at your state school makes the most sense in my humble opinion. Just my thoughts

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s a decision you have to make yourself while considering your own circumstances. Usually SDN advises to take the money, but that doesn’t apply to everyone. It’s a really personal decision, good luck!

btw students almost always seem happy during interview days

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate all of your inputs, especially about students seeming happier on interview day. Thank you all!!

You could put $50k a year x 4 hours and put it in a retirement calculator and see what you are losing.

You are at least 7 years of training. Who know how much you will make then. Remember that living in a particular place will cost you income. You also have no marketable skills till you get a medical license.

The ROI on a “better school” usually isn’t there.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
You could put $50k a year x 4 hours and put it in a retirement calculator and see what you are losing.

You are at least 7 years of training. Who know how much you will make then. Remember that living in a particular place will cost you income. You also have no marketable skills till you get a medical license.

The ROI on a “better school” usually isn’t there.
So as long as I essentially put in the work, all in all, it's usually advisable to go to the cheaper school since that interest/loan amount is massive?

So as long as I essentially put in the work, all in all, it's usually advisable to go to the cheaper school since that interest/loan amount is massive?
Depends on the loan amount and what you value. Be honest with your priorities, and make sure that any assumptions made are reasonable and based in substance rather than emotions. As others have said, only you can decide what's right for you. Decisions that are made thoughtfully and realistically are less prone to regret down the line.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on the loan amount and what you value. Be honest with your priorities, and make sure that any assumptions made are reasonable and based in substance rather than emotions. As others have said, only you can decide what's right for you. Decisions that are made thoughtfully and realistically are less prone to regret down the line.
I’m more financially oriented- I want to start a family and my life after so you’re right I’ll probably do the financially smarter and realistic option.

Reactions: 1 users
GREAT advice from my wise colleagues posted above! One poster said. ..."$200K in extra debt is nothing to sneeze at, but you are going to be able to easily pay it back over time as a MD"
$200k is never easy to pay back. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, read his book on basic money management. Debt is tyranny , meaning, you get up in the morning and work to pay someone else before you make dime one. Avoiding debt is your best advice. Debt can be unavoidable, but get rid of it as soon as you can and you will have way more money in your pocket at the end of the month.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Agree with the poster above, debt is nothing to sneeze at. $400k in principal at 6% interest yields $24k in interest payments per year alone. Assuming 3 years of training, your debt would bloom to over $480k. Bear in mind this is back of napkin math and makes some pretty generous assumptions about interest rates, and leaves out interest accrual during medical school and loan origination fees.

check out the white coat investor, tons of financial advice for folks in medical fields.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
GREAT advice from my wise colleagues posted above! One poster said. ..."$200K in extra debt is nothing to sneeze at, but you are going to be able to easily pay it back over time as a MD"
$200k is never easy to pay back. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, read his book on basic money management. Debt is tyranny , meaning, you get up in the morning and work to pay someone else before you make dime one. Avoiding debt is your best advice. Debt can be unavoidable, but get rid of it as soon as you can and you will have way money in your pocket at the end of the month.
I agree and respectfully disagree. Debt for debt's sake is never a good idea, but people also tend to become intimidated by large notional numbers. $200K plus accrued interest is a large number. So is an annual salary of $200k, $350K, $500K, etc.

Over the course of a lifetime of MD earnings, an extra $200K in debt can indeed be easily be paid back. Compare that number to the net present value of a lifetime of MD earnings, and you will see it pales in comparison.

I'm not opining on whether or not it's a smart financial decision (because, as I said above, it is personal to each of us), but a future doctor who feels he is receiving value is not making a stupid decision by incurring additional debt. This is probably why many wealthy physicians live in multi-million dollar homes that they pay for every month, easily, on their incomes, rather than in more modest houses that they could pay for with cash, while others live more modestly following the Ramsey philosophy.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
I agree and respectfully disagree. Debt for debt's sake is never a good idea, but people also tend to become intimidated by large notional numbers. $200K plus accrued interest is a large number. So is an annual salary of $200k, $350K, $500K, etc.

Over the course of a lifetime of MD earnings, an extra $200K in debt can indeed be easily be paid back. Compare that number to the net present value of a lifetime of MD earnings, and you will see it pales in comparison.

I'm not opining on whether or not it's a smart financial decision (because, as I said above, it is personal to each of us), but a future doctor who feels he is receiving value is not making a stupid decision by incurring additional debt. This is probably why many wealthy physicians live in multi-million dollar homes that they pay for every month, easily, on their incomes, rather than in more modest houses that they could pay for with cash, while others live more modestly following the Ramsey philosophy.

One thing you should keep in mind is debt payment use after tax dollars while your salary is described as pretax. Less federal, state, and local taxes, premiums for disability/malpractice insurance, and factoring in higher CoA of living in/near a city, you will actually have a lot less in disposable income. When you factor those things in you will come to see that those interest payments take a big chunk out of how much of your principal you are able to payback.

Spend some time talking to doctors and their advice generally is to minimize debt as much as possible. They also don’t recommend counting on having a high salary...

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Let's look at the factors you've listed: price, matching, personal comfort, and distance. Out of those, price and distance are pretty objective measures. On the other hand, personal comfort is something you can be fairly flexible on (even change your mind on), and match lists are very subjective in their own rights. Yes, price isn't everything. But it's a pretty damn important part. In your case, we're not talking about a few thousand every year (which add up too!), but a few hundred thousands of difference.

I find most premeds do not know the true value of money. It's not their fault, of course. But for financial advice on this forum, look to working professionals who work full-time to afford families, homes, cars, insurance, and retirement. They'll tell you how much they'd love even "a few" thousand bucks in the pocket.

Reactions: 5 users

One thing I have learned from my wise clinician colleagues here is that while pre-meds are always dazzled by the Really Top Schools because they mean better residencies or entry into the more competitive fields, it really doesn't matter in terms of clinical salaries once you get out of residency.

So my DO grads who went into, say, GS (yes it's harder to get into that for them, but it won't matter for an MD grad) are making the same as their MD counterparts.

Hence, go for the least amount of tuition and debt.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Right now, my wife's group has a drastic decrease in volume. One of the suggestions was for each partner to take a mandatory week of unpaid vacation. One partner in a 2 physician family adamantly stated she could not afford to take an unpaid week vacation. Seriously? Any financially responsible person should strive to have 6 months of expenses in savings. Having a million dollar mortgage makes poor financial sense. If I give the govt 2 dollars in taxes, and they give me one back in deductable mortgage interest, when can I retire? Better to buy your modest home , pay it off, put the 2 dollars in your pocket, and upgrade to a home when you borrow an amount you can pay off in 5 to 10 yrs tops.
At 200k a yr salary, over 30 yrs, would gross 6 mil in earnings BEFORE taxes for our physician debt example. If 200k was invested at 5% avg return would grow to over $864,000 after 30 yrs. Debt can be unavoidable during school and early career, but should be taken with caution, and retired as quickly as possible. Note the large number of Docs who came out of retirement after the crash of 2008. Struggling to manage money matters crosses all socioeconomic lines. We have family with Masters and PhDs and have had to bail them out over the years. I advocate going to the cheapest school unless you can quantitate how much the difference in tuituon will change your life with respect to career goals or from a monetary standpoint.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Right now, my wife's group has a drastic decrease in volume. One of the suggestions was for each partner to take a mandatory week of unpaid vacation. One partner in a 2 physician family adamantly stated she could not afford to take an unpaid week vacation. Seriously? Any financially responsible person should strive to have 6 months of expenses in savings. Having a million dollar mortgage makes poor financial sense. If I give the govt 2 dollars in taxes, and they give me one back in deductable mortgage interest, when can I retire? Better to buy your modest home , pay it off, put the 2 dollars in your pocket, and upgrade to a home when you borrow an amount you can pay off in 5 to 10 yrs tops.
At 200k a yr salary, over 30 yrs, would gross 6 mil in earnings BEFORE taxes for our physician debt example. If 200k was invested at 5% avg return would grow to over $864,000 after 30 yrs. Debt can be unavoidable during school and early career, but should be taken with caution, and retired as quickly as possible. Note the large number of Docs who came out of retirement after the crash of 2008. Struggling to manage money matters crosses all socioeconomic lines. We have family with Masters and PhDs and have had to bail them out over the years. I advocate going to the cheapest school unless you can quantitate how much the difference in tuituon will change your life with respect to career goals or from a monetary standpoint.
This is excellent, conservative advice. I only want to point out one flaw in the analysis -- You have correctly calculated how $200K would conservatively grow over 30 years if it weren't borrowed, but assumed that a physician's salary wouldn't grow by at least the same amount (or at all!) over 30 years, as though physicians make the same amount today as they did in 1990.

Inflation actually makes long term debt more manageable over time, since the principal amount of debt is static while the income used to service that debt pretty much always grows (sometimes very substantially) over time. Assuming that the $200K salary increases 5%/yr, it would grow to $823,000/yr. in 2050. How overwhelming is an extra $200K in debt then? Of course, it would be paid off by then, but the principle (pun intended :)) remains the same.

Again, I'm not saying this is right for everyone -- I'm just saying that nothing matters except cost is also not correct in all circumstances. If this were true, you'd in effect be saying that anyone who makes any choice other than their lowest cost option is always making a mistake, whether they are borrowing the difference or their family is diverting money from investments to pay for it.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
This is excellent, conservative advice. I only want to point out one flaw in the analysis -- You have correctly calculated how $200K would conservatively grow over 30 years if it weren't borrowed, but assumed that a physician's salary wouldn't grow by at least the same amount over 30 years, as though physicians make the same amount today as they did in 1990.

Inflation actually makes long term debt more manageable over time, since the principal amount of debt is static while the income used to service that debt pretty much always grows (sometimes very substantially) over time. Assuming that the $200K salary increases 5%/yr, it would grow to $823,000/yr. in 2050. How overwhelming is an extra $200K in debt then? Of course, it would be paid off by then, but the principle (pun intended :)) remains the same.

Again, I'm not saying this is right for everyone -- I'm just saying that nothing matters except cost is also not correct in all circumstances. If this were true, you'd in effect be saying that anyone who makes any choice other than their lowest cost option is making a mistake, whether they are borrowing the difference or their family is diverting money from investments to pay for it.

Your principal remains the same, but that is irrelevant since the interest is compounding, therefore, the amount you have to pay is growing. Faster than inflation I might add. How much your salary might grow is also irrelevant. The issue is not that a physician won't be able to afford the extra debt. The issue is how someone could have easily avoided the extra debt and what they could be doing with the money instead. Instead of making extra loan payments, you could put that towards A LOT of more important things. The degree to which important as well. A small amount in yearly COA difference will grow to a decent amount. Even if you can pay it off in a year or two of attending, that amount could have easily been applied to a home down payment, a sweet new ride, or junior's college fund.

I agree cost is but one factor in deciding between schools. My main problem is that people too often don't recognize it as one of, if not the, most important factors, and they undervalue it against other factors, usually ones they can end up adapting to. They don't understand that compound interest will grow a small difference into a big one. They underestimate how much Uncle Sam is going to shortchange their doctor's salary. They don't understand that they will be on the hook for everything like rent, food, utilities, and how having a family will magnify that exponentially. They underestimate how much they need to save for retirement and emergencies. Yes, they will pay the debt off eventually. Yes, they live comfortably all the while (possibly artificially, though that's another topic). But the extra amount they pay can go a long way in other things, things that matter more than 4 years of, say, nice weather. Thus "personal" decision too often becomes the objectively worse decision.

I very strongly feel people need to be more intimidated by "large notional numbers." The amount of money you spend is very real. What is notional is the belief that "I'm gonna pay off my loans ASAP" of "that is a small amount to compared to my doctor salary" because you have no control over what you're going to be doing 7+ years from now. You may decide instead of making extra payments, you'll put down a larger amount of a bigger house or fancier car; we are never as disciplined as we think. Or you might need to pay for emergency medical bills. What if you don't match? What if you get married and have a kid before/during residency? The point is you don't know or control decisions you'll make in the future, but you can definitely control the decisions you make now. For these reasons, one needs to be very cautious when writing checks that their future self has to cash out.

Edit:
Let's do some math~
You are choosing between School A and B, with B being "only" $5,000/year more expensive. After 3 years of residency and 1 year of attending, School A will become approx. $32,152.93 cheaper. With just that difference, you could walk into a dealership and buy straight-up a brand new car, or you could put it down on a $535,882 home (first time buyers averaged 6% down in 2019, according to NAR). Or you could go to School B and enjoy 4 years of nice weather or have the comfort of a "good" match list or the facilities are nicer.

If you weigh the other factors of a certain school to outweigh the difference in COA and you understand how much money you're leaving off the table, then that is a good personal decision. But I'm willing to bet a lot of people are lacking in the former requirement. IMO, the only factor that trumps cost every time is personal health i.e. proximity to family/friends/SO if you'd be legitimately miserable/homesick/depressed without them.

Fall M1Spring M1Fall M2Spring M2Fall M3Spring M3Fall M4Spring M4PGY1PGY2PGY3PGY4/Employment1 year of attending
Tuition2,500.002,500.002,500.002,500.002,500.002,500.002,500.002,500.000.000.000.000.000.00
4.236% Origination105.90105.90105.90105.90105.90105.90105.90105.900.000.000.000.000.00
7.079% Interest0.0092.24187.74286.62389.00495.00604.76718.40836.061,731.311,853.871,985.112,125.63
Total2,605.905,304.048,097.6710,990.1913,985.0917,085.9920,296.6523,620.9524,457.0126,188.3228,042.1930,027.3032,152.93
Assumptions:
-COA and interest charged at the beginning of each term in a 2 term academic year
-Extra cost taken out as Grad PLUS (7.079%, 4.236% origination) since you'll likely phase out of Direct Unsub when the incremental cost is added
-Terms stay the same throughout 4 years
-You defer payments until attending

• Love

What do you gain by going to the more expensive school? Is it going to be income? Probably not. It usually isn’t the school the determines speciality choice. You will have people at eithe medical school going to pretty much every speciality. Sometimes pedigree is important, but usually not nearly as most pre-meds think. And usually those jobs pay.

I know lots of physicians that have been attending for 5 or 8 years and still have a mountain of student loans because they haven’t sacrificed other goals to address it. My wife and I have had a family income from $40k to $330k and it would be probably 1.5 really hard years to pay off an extra $200k while not investing in retirement, and we have no consumer debt.

You add on the risk that physician compensation going down in the next decade (I‘m not predicting, but it is possible) or that you are in the minority of medical students that can’t get a medical license, and the cheaper school is usually makes the most sense.

I've heard from people that once you're in 6 figure debt, couple 10Ks don't make a huge difference, in their opinion so it definitely varies by person

This is excellent, conservative advice. I only want to point out one flaw in the analysis -- You have correctly calculated how $200K would conservatively grow over 30 years if it weren't borrowed, but assumed that a physician's salary wouldn't grow by at least the same amount (or at all!) over 30 years, as though physicians make the same amount today as they did in 1990.

Again, I'm not saying this is right for everyone -- I'm just saying that nothing matters except cost is also not correct in all circumstances. If this were true, you'd in effect be saying that anyone who makes any choice other than their lowest cost option is always making a mistake, whether they are borrowing the difference or their family is diverting money from investments to pay for it.
I'm not saying this is right for everyone -- I'm just saying that nothing matters except cost is also not correct in all circumstances

We are in complete agreement. Everything has a cost, and it is up to the individual to decide if it is something they can afford.

Last edited:
  • Love
It really depends on your circumstances, what you wanna do, and where you want to be in 10-20 years. I'll try to break it down a bit but know that even after you read all this, you're not going to have an answer one way or another.

The first factor is whether you're risk averse or not. If you're risk averse and taking that extra debt would put a lot of stress on you, then you need to carefully weigh your options. If you're less averse and can take on the debt and think about it later, then you have more flexibility.

Next depends on what you want to do. If you're going into a competitive specialty, going to a top school might not only help you get there but will tend to open more doors for you in terms of opportunities along the way. For instance, research opportunities abound at the top academic places. There is a reason they are the top academic places. And most competitive specialties will require research in some form or another. Going to that top program will also help you in terms of matching, as the top programs in competitive specialties notoriously care about pedigree. Just take a look at the incoming intern classes. You'll find that the vast majority will be coming from schools of a certain tier. Even the most competitive internal medicine programs have a majority of people from top schools. Pedigree always matters - and it tends to matter more than people let on, as long as you're still in the academic world (which is where you will spend the entirety of your formal training). However, if you make it into one of those competitive specialties, then this whole issue of debt becomes a lot less relevant, as you'll be making enough money to pay it back relatively quickly. But then again, one should not make decisions this early based on which field one thinks one wants to end up in because that can all change pretty fast, either during the preclinical years when you realize that you're much more interested in something else or afterwards, when you can better appraise your application and assess whether you'd be competitive for that specialty.

The last factor is where you want to end up in 10-20 years. In academia, the career advancement scale is like a ladder. You keep climbing the rungs of the ladder until you get to the top and then you can hang out there for the rest of your career. The top being a tenured professorship somewhere, ideally at a good research institution. And the ladder analogy is perfect because it matters where you start on the ladder. Anyone can start at the bottom and make it to the top. But that doesn't mean it's going to be easy. It's much easier starting on a higher rung. Going to a top school is the equivalent of starting on a higher rung. You have all the advantages. The ladder, unbeknownst to you at the time, started back in high school. Your resources back then determined in part what college you went to. What college you go to determined in part what medical school you'll go to. And what medical school you'll go to will determine in part which residency program you go to. The idea is to always be climbing up. But if you're not interested in this at all and want to go into private practice or other non-academic practice, then this last factor does not matter to you at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Do the cheaper option, study hard and go to some ivory tower for residency/fellowship if it's that important to you.