How important is a deployment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ion56

Reaction score
Currently a line medic in the Army National Guard. My contract ends right when my unit is slated for deployment to the middle east. I have the option to reup which would grant me veteran status and to an extent patient care experience if I go.

I was hoping a deployment would add some spice when I apply, since my GPA is mediocre. In all honesty, I'm getting older and family dynamics caused me to rethink my position. For some background: I'm a non-trad and did my undergrad in finance. Still have a ton of prereqs to catch up on and deploying would put that on hold. The other option would be to switch units and remain stateside to continue my prereqs, or even switch branches.

Would a deployment "make or break" an application, if a good amount of the applicant's healthcare experience comes from the military? Would my service be looked down upon by adcoms if I never deployed? If anyone could offer some insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How mediocre are we talking?

Also if you still have a ton of pre reqs left, your GPA isn't very meaningful at this point anyway unless you took a ton of BCPM classes during your finance undergrad......

military experience is a definite plus for medical school apps, BUUUUUUT don't go on a deployment just to impress them, the effort-reward ratio is not good.

Get whatever job is most comfortable in allowing you to work on academics and getting clin experience. Military experience/a deployment is not a free pass for getting in, you still need to show sufficient academic capability to convince adcoms that you can handle the rigor of medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know man… I have a legit infantry deployment to Iraq circa mid 2000’s and I only have 3 MD II’s…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The deployment will not be the deciding factor in whether you get into a medical school or not. At most, it is a talking piece about your military service that ADCOMs may or may not focus on. The reality is that veterans comprise a tiny portion of the medical school applicant population. While veteran status and experience are likely looked upon favorably, it is not a free ticket, and the rest of your applicant (GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.) are more important as a sum than a single military experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Around a 3.5 GPA, and yes not many BCPM classes. And as Moab_Base touched upon we're not actively on a combat mission anywhere in that region so it's nowhere as "legit" compared to the 2000s.

Thanks for the input everyone and appreciate the clarification.

Currently a line medic in the Army National Guard. My contract ends right when my unit is slated for deployment to the middle east. I have the option to reup which would grant me veteran status and to an extent patient care experience if I go.

I was hoping a deployment would add some spice when I apply, since my GPA is mediocre. In all honesty, I'm getting older and family dynamics caused me to rethink my position. For some background: I'm a non-trad and did my undergrad in finance. Still have a ton of prereqs to catch up on and deploying would put that on hold. The other option would be to switch units and remain stateside to continue my prereqs, or even switch branches.

Would a deployment "make or break" an application, if a good amount of the applicant's healthcare experience comes from the military? Would my service be looked down upon by adcoms if I never deployed? If anyone could offer some insight, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'd say not really, 4 MD II atm

How mediocre are we talking?

Also if you still have a ton of pre reqs left, your GPA isn't very meaningful at this point anyway unless you took a ton of BCPM classes during your finance undergrad......

military experience is a definite plus for medical school apps, BUUUUUUT don't go on a deployment just to impress them, the effort-reward ratio is not good.

Get whatever job is most comfortable in allowing you to work on academics and getting clin experience. Military experience/a deployment is not a free pass for getting in, you still need to show sufficient academic capability to convince adcoms that you can handle the rigor of medical school.

By deployment you mean....? 'Cause for me as a former active duty veteran I think deployment means Iraq or Afghanistan or some other hostile country, but I know reserve or national guard have different terminology. I spent a year in South Korea and that was a fun time overseas, not a deployment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
By deployment you mean....? 'Cause for me as a former active duty veteran I think deployment means Iraq or Afghanistan or some other hostile country, but I know reserve or national guard have different terminology. I spent a year in South Korea and that was a fun time overseas, not a deployment.
It's to a designated combat zone and currently "hostile" (however, much less than in the 2000s/2010s). I don't want to be too specific due to OPSEC though it's not Kuwait/Jordan/SA. Terminology should be similar; I wouldn't count Korea as a deployment either, but rather being stationed OCONUS/PCS.

It's to a designated combat zone and currently "hostile" (however, much less than in the 2000s/2010s). I don't want to be too specific due to OPSEC though it's not Kuwait/Jordan/SA. Terminology should be similar; I wouldn't count Korea as a deployment either, but rather being stationed OCONUS/PCS.
Then my answer is it could be valuable but if the only reason you're doing it is for medical school then don't and rehab any potential application in other ways.

Then my answer is it could be valuable but if the only reason you're doing it is for medical school then don't and rehab any potential application in other ways.
Noted! I was just wondering how a deployment is viewed from an admissions standpoint. While school is a factor, it wouldn't be my reason. I trained with my platoon so much I feel like I owe it to them to be there when they need me.