How important is DO exposure to get into a DO program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I've tried to get into MD schools for two years in a row with no luck (on two waitlists this year, who knows)

I am going to try the DO route this year - but I want to have a strong strong app

my gpa is 3.3, bcmp is 3.7 and mcat is 35 (11 11 13) I have a lot of hospital volunteering, as well as clinical exp and research exp...

most of my medical exposure has been through traditional allopathic

is this a detriment to my DO app? Should I try to get DO exposure?? I work full time but if its important I can try and get some at least

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I've tried to get into MD schools for two years in a row with no luck (on two waitlists this year, who knows)

I am going to try the DO route this year - but I want to have a strong strong app

my gpa is 3.3, bcmp is 3.7 and mcat is 35 (11 11 13) I have a lot of hospital volunteering, as well as clinical exp and research exp...

is this a detriment to my DO app? Should I try to get DO exposure?? I work full time but if its important I can try and get some at least

thanks

A lot of schools require you to shadow a DO and get a LOR. Did you apply broadly the past two times? Your bcmp and MCAT are good, you should ask schools what was wrong with your app.

You will need to shadow a DO to get a DO LOR which most schools require. You should also research the differences and be able to say why you want to be an osteopathic physician. In almost all of my interviews I was asked why I want to be a physician and why DO so you need to have an answer for that and if you have examples from your shadowing work that's even better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I 2nd FutureDoc in that they are going to ask. And knowing that you are on your 3rd application cycle and just now are thinking about DO you have to overcome the image that you don't want to be a DO, but they are your last option (even though they are).

I see DOs doing the same things as MDs and they work side-by-side.

The DOs I've come across never gave me the impression that there were major differences between the two.

I know, suck it up buttercup and dealwithit.jpg but for some reason the DO specific letter requirement at some of the institutions grinds my gears for some odd reason and I'm well-versed in hoop-jumping.

It's entirely appropriate to say that you don't see a difference whatsoever, that's why you're applying. Worked for me.

It's entirely appropriate to say that you don't see a difference whatsoever, that's why you're applying. Worked for me.

I agree with the above, but your answer can be viewed very differently by different schools/interviewers.

Some traditional DO's pride themselves in knowing OMM and believe osteopathic medicine is completely different and superior. They want to continue this tradition and bring in students that believe in OMM. This is why many schools still want a DO letter in my opinion.

Younger DO's realize that 99% of all DO's practice the same way as MD's. I'm not sure about the exact percentage of DO's that use OMM, but it isn't high. I have numerous DO friends and none practice OMM.

i got into a DO program (PCOM) without shadowing any DOs, they asked why I only had MD shadow experience and i said i am keeping all of my options open, and that the shadow program through my undergrad post bacc program of orthos were all MDs, so no biggie basically. they were fine with it. I believe they say its a "requirement" to have a LOR from a DO, and with your scores, i think theyd overlook it. But if you have time, why not play it safe and get some hours in with a DO.

I think it is worth it to shadow a DO. With your stats, you should have your choice of schools if you shadow a DO. If you don't, you already cut out half of them as most schools require a DO LoR, and it will be easy to stumble during an interview when asked "Why D.O.?".

Is it impossible to get in without shadowing one? Nah. You should get in somewhere, as is, if you apply broadly. But better to shadow someone for a day or two and have your choice of schools.

My personal thought on the matter is this requirement is outdated and unnecessary. DO == MD. But I do think shadowing (MD || DO) should be required.

Hey guys

thanks

At TCOM D.O. exposure is not important at all