How important is getting research experience before applying to Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonLee

JonLee
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how favorable is it in everyone's opinions to have research experience under my belt before applying to dental school.

Does anyone think it is detrimental to one's resume not having any?
And do you all think it is more beneficial to research a topic related to biology rather than a research focused on an issue in psychology and such?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how favorable is it in everyone's opinions to have research experience under my belt before applying to dental school.

And do you all think it is more beneficial to research a topic related to biology rather than a research focused on an issue in psychology and such?

Why not use the search button? This topic has been beaten to death.

Conclusion: Research is not important for d-school admission. You can and will get admitted w/o doing an hours worth of research.

Obviously it can't hurt but its absolutely not a "make or break" component of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is overrated. Almost everyone has some form of research on their app so it's not a special thing to separate oneself from the rest like it was some years ago. And most of the ones with research experience are like whatever since they are near the bottom of the totem pole on the author list. Unless you're the main author or co-author or 2nd author or engage in research with a famous renown researcher or was part of a research team that cured cancer, then it's no big deal.

Personally, I have ZERO research experience and I received 7 interviews, 3 of which I already interviewed and scored 2 offers. Among the 4 remaining, I declined 2 interviews and will attend the other two later this month. Some of these 7 schools are research based programs so there you go, proof is in the pudding.

At the end of the day, what really matters are your DAT and GPAs in this specific order. Everything else is extra icing on the cake.

You do not need research to get interviewed, or to get accepted at dental school, nor will you need it to specialize. You may need it if you want to go into academia after you graduate. The only instance I know that you will need research is if you want to be a researcher. Hopefully this will knock down the myth that research is important. Does AADSAS still have a separate section for research? (if so then they are just adding fuel to this fire)

Research is overrated. Almost everyone has some form of research on their app so it's not a special thing to separate oneself from the rest like it was some years ago. And most of the ones with research experience are like whatever since they are near the bottom of the totem pole on the author list. Unless you're the main author or co-author or 2nd author or engage in research with a famous renown researcher or was part of a research team that cured cancer, then it's no big deal.

Personally, I have ZERO research experience and I received 7 interviews, 3 of which I already interviewed and scored 2 offers. Among the 4 remaining, I declined 2 interviews and will attend the other two later this month. Some of these 7 schools are research based programs so there you go, proof is in the pudding.

At the end of the day, what really matters are your DAT and GPAs in this specific order. Everything else is extra icing on the cake.

I wouldn't go far to say that everyone has a form of research on their app. The majority that apply don't have research. I also wouldn't say your situation is definitive proof that research doesn't matter. You might have a 4.0 GPA and 26 DAT for all we know. For someone with a 3.4 GPA and a 20 DAT, I would say go do some research if you have time. It definitely wouldn't hurt and make you look a little better then someone who has the same stats and no icing. Do everything you can to make yourself the best applicant possible.

Hopefully this will knock down the myth that research is important. Does AADSAS still have a separate section for research? (if so then they are just adding fuel to this fire)

Research isn't important but it does make you look more favorable compared to someone who's done nothing (all stats the same considered). And yes, I believe AADSAS still has a section for research.

Can't believe everyone here is so anti-research. It's not like it's detrimental to your health. It gives you a chance to learn something different.

Research isn't important but it does make you look more favorable compared to someone who's done nothing (all stats the same considered). And yes, I believe AADSAS still has a section for research.

Can't believe everyone here is so anti-research. It's not like it's detrimental to your health. It gives you a chance to learn something different.[/QUOTE]

I am not really anti-research, just that most undergrads that do "research" are just loading gels or watching chromatography run by, this isnt really experience, unless your first or second author of a study than I dont know how much experience you actually are getting. I would rather go volunteer at inner city shelter, or something that takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you see in the perspective of others, experiences like this allow self-growth and are great for self-introspection, and make for a great conversation during an interview.

Only do research if you are genuinely interested in research. It will look good on your app if you’re someone who actually matters within the research project your a part of.

To me it's just another talking point. Research heavy schools like Pitt & Penn didn't even ask me about it, and Maryland asked me one simple question about it. If you really enjoy your research and could get published from it, maybe it is for you.

I agree with Sileci 0???? Research is overrated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Can't believe everyone here is so anti-research. It's not like it's detrimental to your health. It gives you a chance to learn something different.

the people so against it generally dont have it (or really disliked it) and need some sort of confirmation that they arent behind to feel better about themselves =)

Reactions: 1 user
the people so against it generally dont have it (or really disliked it) and need some sort of confirmation that they arent behind to feel better about themselves =)

Agreed here. This is pretty much the case here as evident by several of the about posts.

Anyways, I interviewed at 8 schools and I think 5 or 6 of them commented on my research experiences. I had 4 years of research going into it I ending up getting into 7 of the schools.

Research is not absolutely necessary but it will definitely help you if you have it. Especially with research heavy schools. Its a great thing to have on your app.
Also, research will help you down the road when your trying to get into residencies. Certainly for more competitive ones like OMFS where research and publications are looked very favorably upon.

In sum, do you wanna do, I don't give a damn.

Members don't see this ad :)

Im about to generalize big time:
there is almost no relationship between undergrad research and getting into dental school..... I got accepted into U of Mich (one of the biggest research related dental schools) and I flat out told them during one of the interviews I had no interest in research, strictly clinician

The people so for research generally have a lot of it and need some sort of confirmation that all the time they spent on it wasn't a waste of time to feel better about themselves =).

Reactions: 1 user
The people so for research generally have a lot of it and need some sort of confirmation that all the time they spent on it wasn't a waste of time to feel better about themselves =).

again, you're wrong. people super interested in research either go to grad school or med school. but it's the internet so i guess you feel better now

again, you're wrong. people super interested in research either go to grad school or med school. but it's the internet so i guess you feel better now

Lol. Your assumption about people who like research is based on nothing just like my assumption about them. Just showing you how baseless your assumption was about people who don't do research.

Don't worry man. All the time you spent in those labs definitely got you into those reputable dental schools. Too bad other applicants who didn't do research got into them too :). It's OK though. It's not a waste of time because you didn't do research solely just to get into dental school. You did it because your genuinely interested in it I hope.

Guys, there's no points arguing about this. No one's going to win. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer volunteering at a homeless shelter. Others like to slice up rat brains and look at data. Whatever you do in your free time is up to you. What's important is that you do something to make you well rounded. Otherwise, admission committees are going to think you sit around eating Cheetos all day while watching Jersey Shore.

It can't hurt. Honestly, two of the main reasons I'm currently doing research was to see if academic research is something I might like and to network a bit with some of my professors. I've found research isn't something I plan to pursue, but I've gotten the chance to get to know some really interesting people (professors, grad students, and fellow undergrads). I feel like it's been a net positive for me, even if it won't make a huge difference on my apps. Though, I might get some nice recommendations out of it.

If you want to do research in something you enjoy like psychology, then why not? If you have the time and motivation.

I have done some social science research.... do you think it is worth putting on my app? How do you think adcoms will view this?

I think what the majority of people miss when they consider the importance of research is what they are actually learning by performing research.

We are surrounded by research. In our future we will be consumers of research. We need to be able to distinguish between good and bad research and know what qualifies research as either.

Research is important, regardless of the field in which it is performed.

So, while people often gain admittance without experience, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not learning what research has to offer.

I think what the majority of people miss when they consider the importance of research is what they are actually learning by performing research.

Indeed. I don't know or care if research made me a better applicant for dental school...but I do believe that it has made me a better thinker, or at the very least someone who better understands the scientific process. I really appreciate the journals and papers I have to read as a student as a consequence of the research I've participated in. We are entering a science-based profession, and I can't see how having this background would ever be a detriment, that's for sure.

If you want to do it solely in order to better your application then go ahead. (It may or may not help.) But there's other stuff you can do as well. I just knew that I wouldn't be interested in doing 5 million hours of community service at a soup kitchen. Just stay busy and you're going to be a good applicant as long as you numbers match up. Life's not entirely about the app process though, is it?

To the 2 most recent posters, the question being asked by OP is whether not having research is detrimental to his dental school applications. No one is doubting the importance of research to society or your own intellectual development.

My input would be that it is favorable-- despite it not giving you a decided advantage in gaining an acceptance.

Before applying to and entering dental school I definitely see it as an excellent experience to have under your belt.

I think there are other good experiences you may want to have under your belt as well.

We are surrounded by research. In our future we will be consumers of research. We need to be able to distinguish between good and bad research and know what qualifies research as either.

Research is important, regardless of the field in which it is performed.

So, while people often gain admittance without experience, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not learning what research has to offer.

:rolleyes: I dont see research as a cornerstone of one's dental education unless they intend to go via the DDS/PhD route. Just like I dont see the merit of physics for predents.

lol. i'm doing dds/phd :]. only do research if you enjoy it--otherwise, you can do better things with your time. Having research, however, is not detrimental to your application. It can only help.

:rolleyes: I dont see research as a cornerstone of one's dental education unless they intend to go via the DDS/PhD route. Just like I dont see the merit of physics for predents.

Not a cornerstone at all, but a skill.

It is the ability to not necessarily perform but to consume research that will prove useful in the class and in practice.

Physics - bah.

As so many other people have said, research is by no means necessary for you to be admitted to dental schools. In my opinion though, if you feel comfortable that you can participate in research without it affecting your GPA/DAT studying, it is one of many great EC's to have on your application especially for some of the more research heavy schools (UCSF, UCLA, Harvard, Penn, Columbia, Michigan, etc.). Aside from all the science behind research, it also teaches you real-life critical thinking skills as well as teamwork.

Not a cornerstone at all, but a skill.

It is the ability to not necessarily perform but to consume research that will prove useful in the class and in practice.

Physics - bah.

if that was accurate then research would be a d-school requirement. :p

i am currently finishing up my undergraduate schooling. i have been involved in undergraduate research for 2 years now, with a microbiologist, working in a biotechnology lab in my university. i am currently working on research about the oral microbial structure, and how it can play a role in oral health. for my previous research i won first place in an undergraduate symposium, and for my current research i was just awarded a 2000 grant. i love research, and i do plan to do some in dental school. my professor and I, are working on getting my current research published by next year. my question is, even if it doesn't get published, does doing dental related research, plus my awards and grants give me a bit of leverage in my application?

I would say do research. I did. I gained 8 interviews, 6 acceptances, 0 rejections so far.

My tip is to find a summer research program that pays you well and use this money to fund your dental application because it will get very expensive.