How important is ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PatriciaNg

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me how the ranking of the medical school you go to affect your future?
 
I think everyone knows that the worse the ranking the better your chances of getting a good residency. Apply to a bunch of high ranking schools like Harvard though incase you don't get into the low ranking school of your choice.🙄
 
Originally posted by dynx
I think everyone knows that the worse the ranking the better your chances of getting a good residency. Apply to a bunch of high ranking schools like Harvard though incase you don't get into the low ranking school of your choice.🙄

2 things:

1. I think you mean "the better the ranking..."

2. That aside, I'm not sure I totally agree. It's true only up to a point. Most people would tell you that you have a better chance of getting in to a presigious residency coming from Harvard than from U. North Dakota. (Not that ND isn't a good school in its own ways...)

But beyond certain limits, I don't think the theory holds. There are a lot of other factors that play into it: basic science (MSI and MSII) grades, USMLE step 1 score (big!), clinical rotation grades, LOR's from rotation attendings (big!), away rotations, and so on. Yes, the school matters, but it's certainly not enough. I'm not sure it's a good reason to pick a school; people match into competitive residencies from lesser known schools all the time.

-Naphtali
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought the sarcasm was obvious but I see that I was wrong. In the future I will label it as such:
""Sarcastic remark" <--------*all readers please note that the indicated phrase and/or sentence and/or paragraph is sarcastic*
🙄