How important is science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funkdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:

Ok here is my deal I am 24 and am in my junior year, I have not yet taken the MCAT's (I will do that this August). When I first started going to community college way back when I was 18 I didn't really have my head screwed on straight (that is an understatement). I did poor for a few semester (like 2.7 in general studies) and then I completely bombed a semester. Thats right I went for the record straight F's. To make things even worse I flunked joke classes like film appreciation and intro to theatre. It wasn't even like I was taking tough classes!

I then took a year and a half off from school. In this time I cleared my head and did some serious soul searching. I decided I was gonna kick arse in school for that point on. Since I have been back to school my academic performance has been exceptional. My gpa went from a 1.73 to a 3.34 (the 3.34 is MY calculation of all classes I have taken, my school does not count classes that you recieved an F and then made up later on). I have taken HEAVY course loads every semester since then including over the summer. Every science class I have taken since then I have earned an A in (not even and A- and this includes OChem 1). The only pre requisite science class I took over was Bio 1, ( I recieved a D the first time). I have taken all pre requisite science classes except the two I am taking this semester (physics 2, and OChem 2). To top all of this off I work FULL TIME, and I manage to stay in decent shape (I can max bench press 405lbs. and run a mile in under 6:30 seconds). I am also not to worried about the MCAT, every test I take I
ace.
I have a few questions:

1. Is math included into the science gpa? Because if it is I only have like a 2.7 or so, but if it isn't I have like a 3.1 something gpa?

2. How big of a factor is my early college performance going to be? Do you think that this will be a dealbreaker for me?

3. What kind of letters of rec do I need? My mom is an N.P. and I can shadow her boss (a Rheumatologist) if this is something that would be a +. Also should I do any volunteer work (I have VERY little free time).

4. My major is a non science major (Accounting) is this going to hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Funkdoctor said:
Background:

Ok here is my deal I am 24 and am in my junior year, I have not yet taken the MCAT's (I will do that this August). When I first started going to community college way back when I was 18 I didn't really have my head screwed on straight (that is an understatement). I did poor for a few semester (like 2.7 in general studies) and then I completely bombed a semester. Thats right I went for the record straight F's. To make things even worse I flunked joke classes like film appreciation and intro to theatre. It wasn't even like I was taking tough classes!

I then took a year and a half off from school. In this time I cleared my head and did some serious soul searching. I decided I was gonna kick arse in school for that point on. Since I have been back to school my academic performance has been exceptional. My gpa went from a 1.73 to a 3.34 (the 3.34 is MY calculation of all classes I have taken, my school does not count classes that you recieved an F and then made up later on). I have taken HEAVY course loads every semester since then including over the summer. Every science class I have taken since then I have earned an A in (not even and A- and this includes OChem 1). The only pre requisite science class I took over was Bio 1, ( I recieved a D the first time). I have taken all pre requisite science classes except the two I am taking this semester (physics 2, and OChem 2). To top all of this off I work FULL TIME, and I manage to stay in decent shape (I can max bench press 405lbs. and run a mile in under 6:30 seconds). I am also not to worried about the MCAT, every test I take I
ace.
them's some strong words. fightin words....
Funkdoctor said:
I have a few questions:

1. Is math included into the science gpa? Because if it is I only have like a 2.7 or so, but if it isn't I have like a 3.1 something gpa?
yes, math is counted
Funkdoctor said:
2. How big of a factor is my early college performance going to be? Do you think that this will be a dealbreaker for me?
not at all. if you explain this to the adcom and show them how you have changed and what you did during your time off, i think it'll be good to go. I'm not saying acceptance, but definately an application review
Funkdoctor said:
3. What kind of letters of rec do I need? My mom is an N.P. and I can shadow her boss (a Rheumatologist) if this is something that would be a +. Also should I do any volunteer work (I have VERY little free time).
I would definately shadow a doc. You need the most healthcare exposure that you can and shadowing a doc is a great way to do it. You don't have to volunteer in the healthcare field. maybe some community service to make ya look good.
Funkdoctor said:
4. My major is a non science major (Accounting) is this going to hurt me?

The non science major won't be a big deal. as long as u show them that the healthcare is what you want to do it ur life. plenty of people are like you. non-traditional applicants and everyone has a different story. there are no "deal-breakers" except maybe a drug conviction or a felony of something. but yeah, anyhow. gluck. just be persistent.

Virilep, thank you for responding, I appreciate it. It is always reassuring to hear that someone else thinks I have a shot. That is all the fire I need to fuel me. Sometimes I think to myself wtf am I doing going from 5:00am to 11:00 or 12:00pm everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends, but when I think of what the rewards could be I get a second wind.

Any other advice from anyone would also be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
First I need to say that if you are applying this year, I cannot emphasize strongly enough taking the MCAT in April, especially since you ace all your tests anyway ;) . You really should take a practice test or two, the MCAT is unlike any other test out there.

Some schools that have minimum GPA cutoffs will reject someone with a low science GPA right away, but most would probably be very impressed with your huge improvement if they take the time to look at your application.

You should definitely shadow and gain some medical experience as soon as you can; otherwise what will you write about in your personal statement as your motivation for medicine?

P.S. Also, just my opinion, but with the amount of arrogance you show in your post, you would probably make an excellent surgeon. :)

Funkdoctor said:
To top all of this off I work FULL TIME, and I manage to stay in decent shape (I can max bench press 405lbs. and run a mile in under 6:30 seconds).

This is obviously the point that must be stressed in your application. You GREEK GOD you~! :laugh:

I think you should consider Funkology for a speciality.

You're going to do fine. Rock the MCAT, though.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Your replies help me stay optimistic!

Tacrum43, I am sorry I came off as arogant. I am really not arogant but I can see how one can interpert my post as arogant. I do try to stay positive though. As far as the MCAT goes, I am a little worried about the verbal section so I guess I should start to study now!

MCAT's is not a word. You take one test, the MCAT. Good luck.