1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How important is "the feeling?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by tdittyx2x3, Nov 30, 2008.

1. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I interviewed at six schools, and the only one I really got "the feeling" from is $130,000 more expensive (after all interests accrued) than my next favorite school I've been accepted at.

I'm going to revisit the school again to see if that "feeling" persists, but even if it does, how will I know if its worth $130,000? The logical part of my mind is saying I will get essentially the same education at either school, I'll probably be happy wherever I end up, and one of them is considerably cheaper. Seems easy. Yet the other side is saying, "But you loved and felt comfortable at X school. You'll have the money in ten years anyway, go where you'll be happiest."

How important do SDN'ers think "the feeling" is to deciding on a school compared to other factors? Who out there is making the logical decision and is anyone out there going for broke, quite literally?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ILikeFood

ILikeFood NSU Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

No school is worth $130,000 more. If you insist on spending the $130,000, spend it on six months in Paris, sitting in a luxury apartment eating filet mignon and drinking Bollinger. Have some perspective. Jesus.

3. ILikeFood

10+ Year Member

Seriously, if you want to burn money, go to your next favorite school, max out your loans, and spend your vacations traveling the world.

4. m015094

10+ Year Member

I think we'd like specifics. What school give the $130K difference? Me...yes, I'd personally pay out the extra cash for the school that is tops on my lists compared to the bottom. But second? I don't know....you can do a whole lot with $130K. Is that money worth you regretting the decision for the rest of your life though?

5. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Wow, that's nuts!! I really don't envy your position. However, if I were you, I'd spend the next ___ months until the final deposit was due trying to gather as much intel as possible about the second choice school. Maybe they have some perks that you're not aware of. Don't try to convince yourself it's something it isn't, though. You'd know you were lying and would kick yourself, later. Instead, see if the difference between the two may be overblown in your head.

After that, I'd probably send in my deposit to the cheap school and plan two weeks in Europe with my wife during each year of med school and residency! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yea I know maybe its crazy to even consider the more expensive school, which is WVSOM by the way. The least expensive is LECOM-Erie.

The difference in price is truly ridiculous when you carry the interest out four years. That difference in price is particular to my individual financial situation by the way.. so no one should use it as a reference.

The story:

Went through my interview day at Erie kind of unexcited. There was a foot of snow on my car in the morning. One building, no campus. Thrilling. Beverage rules.. kinda weird. Dress code.. I guess I could deal with that as its a professional school. Lecture halls, pretty standard with an equally attractive attendance policy :thumbdown:. Felt a little babied during the presentations. Anatomy lab, smallest and worst I had seen out of six interviews. I was daydreaming about WVSOM at one point.

Then I went to the mock PBL session at the end. Ever since, I've been heavily pondering PBL. I had learned about it and heard schools presentations about PBL, but I never really took it seriously. After becoming more informed (thank you SDN), I left Erie very excited about it as a great fit with me - a separate discussion.

Full circle: WVSOM and Erie are the only two schools I got into with PBL. I had a great experience at WVSOM. In fact, it was the only school that I left feeling particularly excited - and I even thought it was my worst interview. I left thinking the classic "I know I could learn really well here. This place would turn me into a doctor."

:cool:.

Options:
    1. Choose LECOM. Only $45,000 in debt. Reward myself with a trip somewhere glorious that isn't Paris / buy a 911 Carrera. Enjoy PBL. Close to home. Miss out on dissections.

2. Choose WVSOM. Go $178,000 into debt. Probably love every second of it.

3. Apply to OUCOM and LECOM-Bradenton for PBL. Medium expensive, prob too late though.

And just to make things interesting.. I had a VERY fortunate day yesterday and was accepted into three schools. CCOM, VCOM, and PCOM. None of which are PBL. So the last option...

4. Forget PBL, go to PCOM for the very nice price tag of $89,000. This doesn't make things easier. I KNOW I KNOW, "good problems to have." I get it.

Any opinions on how I should dissect this one, please feel free. I have two weeks to decide who to accept, and while I know I'm very lucky, this isn't easy. It helps me to at least write my thoughts out so thanks for reading. -Deet

#6 tdittyx2x3, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. michwolverine

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Is that $130,000 more for just tuition and living expenses or is that $130,000 plus the additional interest you would have to pay from borrowing that much more?

8. michwolverine

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sorry, cross-post. I think you should go where you do have the "feeling." Don't go to LECOM just to save money. And remember, the PBL track at LECOM is not going to have cadavers to dissect starting with the next class. So factor that in as you are "dissecting" your choices. But that is a heck of a financial differential...

9. singinfifi

singinfifi Professional Insomniac
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I loved WVSOM. Infact, I was all set to go there (despite all my other acceptances, and had even paid my deposit) until I interviewed at NSU and fell in love.

In my opinion, the "feeling" is really important. Mostly because i'm the type that would have spent my next 4 years wondering. I'm really freakin tired right now, or I'd ellaborate more...maybe tomorrow :)

10. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ouch, thats a tough situation. Luckily, the school I got "the feelng" at happens to be the cheapest. Now they just need to give me an acceptance... *sigh*

Good luck with your decision! I say if you feel you can be happy at LECOM then its not even a contest. The difference between 180K and 45K is friken ridiculous.

11. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is my vote. Not sure what your 'feeling' was at PCOM but its a great program, not as expensive, and close to your home! Just my take. Im not convinced that PBL gives you enough of an advantage to be worth it! (ex: is +$90,000 worth it - HELL no!). Im going to be making similar tough decisions in about two weeks so I know how you feel...the price tags unfortunately tend to make a school a little less appealing (ie CCOM...sigh)

good luck, let us know which program you choose!

12. Bacchus

Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    People would kill to go to PCOM. People would kill. You don't need to attend lecture at PCOM so you won't be stuck in lecture. You will have to watch the lectures eventually, of course.

For $89,000 you'd be making a SUPERB investment.

13. ILikeFood

10+ Year Member

I can't fight this feeling anymore
    I've forgotten what I've started fighting for

14. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ryserr.. you an All Blacks fan? That's a money lookin avatar there guy. I lived in New Zealand for 6 months. Two things those Kiwi's love: A LOT of good beer and an All Blacks victory.

15. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Wait, what school are you going to next year? ;)

I would love to live in NZ! I'm trying to get there this summer. I have no idea what i'll do or where ill stay, or how ill live. But my dream is just to spend that last summer before school in NZ or some other rugby infested country :D.

Yes, I do love me some all blacks. I'm especially obsessed with watching Rokocoko and Jonah Lomu highlights.

16. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Helllo Bacchus (I need a pronunciation by the way, its killing me)- I thought you might chime in. Your PCOM-ness is seemingly everywhere haha.

I thought PCOM was very aesthetic, professional, and modern looking. It truly is a great school and has the reputation to boot. But then I think, I could go to Erie and get PBL for half the price. I need to really investigate PCOM, prob go back and visit, and have it sell itself to me in order to go there. Obviously if you think you can persuade me, your welcome to try. I'd like to hear a sales pitch from the man himself.

17. rugger14

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I too am deciding between PCOM and LECOM. PCOM is pretty loved here on sdn, but too make things hard I already live 2 min away from LECOM. Bacchus, you have some work to do!

18. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Every school will be fine. A 130k is a LOT of money though. That is a hefty chunk of a nice house somewhere. I've heard of quite a few people being wowed by wvsom and then being let down later on. It is a great school with a good reputation, but I have a hard time seeing how it is so great to justify that kind of cash. If we were talking 50k more then sure...go with your fave. I also haven't heard as great of things about WVSOM's PBL versus LECOM. LECOM seems to have PBL down to a science now where it still gives off that experiment vibe at WVSOM.

19. tideleonheart

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll lose that mystical, magical feeling when you start pounding out 168 drugs for a test. I'd save your $130,000 and go somewhere else. Any medical school in the country will give you a quality education. That said, any medical school in the country will also have whiners and complainers about administration, the curriculum, etc. You have to make the best of where ever you are.

20. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd say go with PCOM or CCOM. Both those schools have an excellent reputation and will be beneficial in terms of residency options. PBL may seem great on the surface but there's definitely a drawback to having to spend hours flipping through books on your own trying to decide what is important and what isn't. Lectures may be boring to sit through, but at least you are presented with a comprehesive set of materials. I would avoid schools that had mandatory attendance, however, if you're not an auditory learner.

Saving 6 figures of debt is important in the long run since there is at least a 50-60% chance you will end up in primary care. I'm not too familar with WVSOM, but I think you would be better off blowing the money on a top tier school such as PCOM or CCOM.

21. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My connection flight was in Phili today and I got held up for nearly 3 hours on the runway. Yes, I did think about getting off the plane to go visit PCOM real quick.

I think its gonna come down to LECOM vs. PCOM in the ultimate showdown. Here's my reasoning.

I equate LECOM and WVSOM due to the PBL. LECOM beats WVSOM due to the unnecessarily high price.

I equate PCOM and CCOM too.. both more reputable with big networks for connections, outside a major city, system-based learning. PCOM wins here because I just liked it better, its closer to home, closer to everyone I know, and its cheaper.

VCOM.. sweet block schedule, breaks are given very evenly throughout the years. Had a pretty good experience here, but the lack of campus combined with the very new school factor and the fact that I'd have to take 6 credits of science classes in the spring (I already graduated and am thoroughly enjoying my temporary freedom) may have shot this one down for me. Plus I don't know if I can do the Hokie's thing.. they are all about the association with VTech, yet I can't think of a reason I would go to the UG campus besides the gym.

Check my thinking?

22. ILikeFood

10+ Year Member

I can't fight PCOM's feeling anymore
    I've forgotten what I've started fighting for

23. Spooner13

Spooner13 Spooner13
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This sounds like a very difficult decision. I'm sure you've already considered this, but I think the clinical years are very important. See which school will offer you the best clinical opportunities.

24. aterry

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just thought I would let you know about the National Health Service Corps if you don't know about it. They offer scholarships for while you are in school or loan repayment programs. You have to work in underserved areas after residency. These can be in rural or urban areas. That could help money be less of a decision factor for you.

25. PeteyHC

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am trying to make the same difficult decision between UNECOM and LECOM-Erie. I just can't get the price differential out of my head, but still I am probably going to choose UNECOM over LECOM for a few reasons.

1. I am New England born and raised, most of my family and friends are in the area, so I like the idea of being 2 hrs from Boston, and 4 hrs from home (my parents live in CT).

2. I know for sure that I'd have a better chance of getting residencies in the Northeast if I went to UNECOM over LECOM.

3. I got that "good feeling" from UNECOM that I really didn't get from LECOM (didn't have much of an interaction with students, so didn't get a good sense of what the student body is like). Also UNECOM has more of a campus, learning environment feel to it, where as LECOM with its 1 building didn't.

This may not make any sense, and I'd love to have people debate it for me. I feel like the difference in price, LECOM at $110,000 over four yrs. and UNECOM $170,000 over four yrs., shouldn't be the deciding factor in picking my school. Please SDN people, you are welcome to call me nuts and discuss/share your thoughts. Choosing which medical school to attend isn't a bad decision to have to make, but it certaintly isn't easy.

26. rugger14

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

tditty..I feel your pain. I'm deciding between LECOM and PCOM too and it is driving me insane. (I am from Erie and live 3 min from the school) I'm doing LDP either way..but for you I think you need to maybe think about how strongly you want PBL. If it is the main factor for you, then obviously PCOM wouldn't be an option. For me clinical rotations is the most important factor, which doesn't make my decision any easier either haha.

27. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN'ers. I've consulted "the resource" - ie: mom.

SURE LAUGH IT UP- but this lady is first of all awesome and secondly, shes a genius. Graduated college at 19!

She agrees with those go big or go homers out there. If you truly fell in love with a school, you've researched it and the original puppy love isn't whats driving your decision, then money shouldn't be a factor.

Mama Deet has spoken, but this time I think I'll ponder it more before deciding. We still have another week or so.

28. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Update: Reality has set in. Puppy love was driving the decision. Withdrew from WVSOM, my so called favorite, on the basis of price difference alone.

I have gravitated towards PCOM now aside from the fact that its four hours further away from home compared to Erie.

Anyone else with the PCOM-LECOM decision have updates on where they chose and why?

29. HALIVE

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try to find something more substantial than the "feeling" or number of hours from home. When you interviewed, I'm sure they provided you with enough information to help you decide. Search deeper, it might come to you...LOL

30. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks to some solid advice here, I now agree that "the feeling" is not worth as much as other factors. Like I said, reality has set in a bit.

But I think how far a school is from home can be pretty substantial for some students. Without going into an overshare, its actually pretty important to me and I doubt I'm alone.

31. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I was looking at that much in $$$... I'd take the cheaper on in a heartbeat. You won't hardly notice how much you liked the other school better - you'll be too darn busy.

32. OP
    OP
    tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LECOM is the cheaper school by about $45,000 (after interest) and its closer to home. However, PCOM appeared to be an overall stronger school, better clinical opportunities, better reputation, great city, etc.

Right now I'm wondering whether the school I go to will have any affect on my career at all - some say it won't. My apologies if this decision seems so easy to others, this is actually tough for me.

33. spazzz

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    this really isn't a decision. PCOM over LECOM any day of the week. PBL is overrated and just because you may like the idea of it now doesn't mean you'll love it when you get there. didactics are didactics whereever you go, you still need to be prepared for the boards, residency, opportunities, etc. PCOM will always have an edge over LECOM, even if it is because it's so old.

34. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I didn't even bother going to my interview at WVSOM after I got my acceptance to LECOM-erie (LDP track though, PBL scares me). I couldn't justify the huge added expense in just tuition alone no matter how much I'd like the school.

35. rightfooted

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    engineeredout, did you decide between Lecom and NYCOM?

36. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I wasn't accepted to NYCOM... yet ;)

But to answer your question, I'm not going to NYCOM even if I did get in. Three main reasons:

#1) Hella expensive, as bad as WVSOM when you factor in their tuition increases
    #2) Lived on LI my whole life and went to college here, I WANT TO GET OUT.
    #3) Living expenses on LI = :scared:
    #3.5) I did really like LECOM

Don't get me wrong, NYCOM was great. They have great facilities and there was nothing about the school that made me go "oh HELL NO :nono:", I'd just rather go to LECOM and get out of long island.