How Important Is The Name of The School?

Started by IMG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IMG

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to all:

I am presently a student at UAG. My supplemental source of financial support has been cut and because of this I need to transfer to another school that has lower tuition and living cost. I have found two such schools, Universidad Iberoamericana in the Dominican Republic and the Universidad XOCHICALCO in Tijuana, Mexico. My question is this: How important is the name of the foreign school you graduate from in the long run? I have a friend who is a 3rd year resident in plastic surgery and is a foreign grad who has told me when you are a foreign grad you are put into one category: Foreign Graduate, and the name of the school doesn't matter as much as scores, who you know, ect. Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks,
IMG
 
I don't really think the name of the foreign school really matters unless you want a residency at a hospital that has a lot of doctors from St George's, in which case, being from SGU will help. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

------------------
 
Hi IMG...

This is off the topic but you didn't include your email in your profile.

You've mentioned a friend who is an IMG and a 3rd year resident in Plastics. Since I am also extremely interested in this field, was wondering if your friend would consider giving me some advice.

Would you be so kind as to ask him whether I may write to him with some *short* questions/advice and then email me with his address?

Its a lot to ask I realize, but you don't get if you don't ask, right?
smile.gif


TIA...