How important is the writing sample?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunnyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that it isn't really all that important. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not as important, but I would still pay some attention to it. Some schools require a certain writing sample score -- for example, Colorado (from what I've heard) wants you to have at least the national average, otherwise you'd have to take some remedial English or writing course or something.

Sunnyy said:
I've been told that it isn't really all that important. Is this true?

I've been told by adcom folks that they only look at it if it is "unusually low". (They didn't say what letter that would be). Just follow the basic format suggested by Kaplan and others and you will be fine.

Basically, if you do what Law2Doc said (follow the Kaplan / TPR / etc format) you're going to get a fine score (around a 'P' or above). If you deviate from the format, you start headng into the L,M,N range which can be a problem. But don't waste time trying to go from a Q to an S. Use that time to study the scored sections!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hercules022 said:
Basically, if you do what Law2Doc said (follow the Kaplan / TPR / etc format) you're going to get a fine score (around a 'P' or above). If you deviate from the format, you start headng into the L,M,N range which can be a problem. But don't waste time trying to go from a Q to an S. Use that time to study the scored sections!

Go to the library and either borrow the Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT or just take notes on the writing sample setup. Learn the process.

Don't blow it off,but don't spend too much time on this either.

HunterGatherer said:
Go to the library and either borrow the Kaplan Comprehensive MCAT or just take notes on the writing sample setup. Learn the process.

Don't blow it off,but don't spend too much time on this either.

what the caveman said and listen to npr or read some current events, just in case.