How is decision made by admission committees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothbread

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have done two interviews at Midwestern Arizona and Detroit Mercy! My interviews went great, and I noticed that my interviewers were writing notes as I was talking about thoughts and experiences. So my questions are:
1-Do the admission committees numerically grade applicants based on their interview performance?
2-Do admission committees use these numbers to rank us applicants?
3-Do they send out “accptances” to the highest scoring applicants when December 1st arrives?

What do you all think? Thank you so much for your answers :) !

Members don't see this ad.

I asked about this from one dental school and they said interviw is a factor similar to other ones so i guess we are getting ranked before interviw and interview gonna push us up or down, its exactly like the last week of premier league ( if u watch soccer :D).Of course this is different from university to university and of course there is some red flags behaviors during interview that can effect your app a lot but in general i guess this is the way that they do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked about this from one dental school and they said interviw is a factor similar to other ones so i guess we are getting ranked before interviw and interview gonna push us up or down, its exactly like the last week of premier league ( if u watch soccer :D).Of course this is different from university to university and of course there is some red flags behaviors during interview that can effect your app a lot but in general i guess this is the way that they do it.
I LOVE YOUR ANALOGY (Liverpool go!!!). In midwestern AZ, the director said some people get admitted because of their high stats even if they did not perform well on their interviews. So I think each school has its own “formula” or “equation” to rank applicants. Just like premier league, some people will get “disqualified” from the leaderboard if they don’t score enough points! What school did you ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE YOUR ANALOGY (Liverpool go!!!). In midwestern AZ, the director said some people get admitted because of their high stats even if they did not perform well on their interviews. So I think each school has its own “formula” or “equation” to rank applicants. Just like premier league, some people will get “disqualified” from the leaderboard if they don’t score enough points! What school did you ask?
Omg! You'll Never Walk Alone! The school that I asked was UTSA. We both got this, hopefully see each other in same class next year! ( Ive also interviwed at MW-Az)

• Care
Hello! I have done two interviews at Midwestern Arizona and Detroit Mercy! My interviews went great, and I noticed that my interviewers were writing notes as I was talking about thoughts and experiences. So my questions are:
1-Do the admission committees numerically grade applicants based on their interview performance?
2-Do admission committees use these numbers to rank us applicants?
3-Do they send out “accptances” to the highest scoring applicants when December 1st arrives?

What do you all think? Thank you so much for your answers :) !
This is a question every applicant would love to have answered. The answer is simply......you will NEVER know. Whatever is meant to be will be, that’s my two cents.

I know people that got accepted to certain schools with a 19 AA performing alright on an interview while a 21 AA performed well on an interview while they didn’t get off the waitlist. Don’t think too hard about these questions because I promise, you will NEVER have a definite answer.

Applicants can also think they had an amazing interview, but trust me, it’s definitely looked upon differently from an interviewers perspective as many mindsets for applicants are triggered towards thinking they performed well on an interview (that is not “flopping” on a question or getting nervous). It’s the best in all applicants and you’re only human if this happens.

This definitely happens a lot....Applicants “assume” they gave a great answer to the interviewer towards a question asked BUT sometimes that answer is not what the interviewer was looking for. In general...interviews rely heavily on who’s interviewing you.

1)Depends on the school.....etc. + you’ll never know

2)Possibly..... you’ll never know

3) No BUT I truly believe if you have an outstanding interview, it’s a straight gateway to first round acceptances

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Omg! You'll Never Walk Alone! The school that I asked was UTSA. We both got this, hopefully see each other in same class next year! ( Ive also interviwed at MW-Az)
Thats awesome! When did you interview at AZ? I had it done on september 30th!

This is a question every applicant would love to have answered. The answer is simply......you will NEVER know. Whatever is meant to be will be, that’s my two cents.

I know people that got accepted to certain schools with a 19 AA performing alright on an interview while a 21 AA performed well on an interview while they didn’t get off the waitlist. Don’t think too hard about these questions because I promise, you will NEVER have a definite answer.

Applicants can also think they had an amazing interview, but trust me, it’s definitely looked upon differently from an interviewers perspective as many mindsets for applicants are triggered towards thinking they performed well on an interview (that is not “flopping” on a question or getting nervous). It’s the best in all applicants and you’re only human if this happens.

This definitely happens a lot....Applicants “assume” they gave a great answer to the interviewer towards a question asked BUT sometimes that answer is not what the interviewer was looking for. In general...interviews rely heavily on who’s interviewing you.

1)Depends on the school.....etc. + you’ll never know

2)Possibly..... you’ll never know

3) No BUT I truly believe if you have an outstanding interview, it’s a straight gateway to first round acceptances
I love your explanation and thank you for taking your time writing the details! In my interviews, the way I answered their questions was from my personal, emotional experience from my life. I did not give the interviewers the answers they were “strictly” looking for even though I could. I truly showed them my purpose and who I am as a person because I feel like I explain myself much better when I’m “natural.” I even felt very very emotional when I was talking about situations happened to me in life. As I was talking, I had my “stop” moments because I felt emotional. I told them stories that I could never ever tell anybody about them. I apologized and kept talking about myself, and how I overcame these situations. At the end I just said I never thought I’d ever reach this far in the application process, and the faculty smiled “You would not be here if not for my qualifications.” And I simply said “thank you.”
My question is should I feel bad for not giving the faculty members the answers they were looking for? Should I avoid this kind of conversation for my next interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
I love your explanation and thank you for taking your time writing the details! In my interviews, the way I answered their questions was from my personal, emotional experience from my life. I did not give the interviewers the answers they were “strictly” looking for even though I could. I truly showed them my purpose and who I am as a person because I feel like I explain myself much better when I’m “natural.” I even felt very very emotional when I was talking about situations happened to me in life. As I was talking, I had my “stop” moments because I felt emotional. I told them stories that I could never ever tell anybody about them. I apologized and kept talking about myself, and how I overcame these situations. At the end I just said I never thought I’d ever reach this far in the application process, and the faculty smiled “You would not be here if not for my qualifications.” And I simply said “thank you.”
My question is should I feel bad for not giving the faculty members the answers they were looking for? Should I avoid this kind of conversation for my next interviews?

how do you know what answers they were looking for?

They’re interviewing you because you qualified. They want applicants that are confident in themselves as well, so saying “I didn’t think I’d make it this far” shows you sort of lacked confidence in yourself. Now I can’t really tell you how the interviewers interpreted what you said to them. Just believe in yourself and you did the best you could. Don’t look back at what you did wrong because it could ALWAYS be better.

Just remember, every school is looking for a different set of students. Many schools focus on....
1) Why do I need you at my school?
2) why do I need you to be a dentist?
3) Do you really want to come to this school as a first choice?
4) Do you really want to be a dentist and you didn’t just wake up thinking “hey I want to be a dentist just because I want to”