How is disadvantaged status taken into account?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drross90210

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For applicants with strong justification for indicating "yes" for disadvantaged status, such as government assistance like SNAP/food stamps, how does this factor into the admissions committee's review? Will they be more inclined to invite the applicant for an interview?

Can applicants with disadvantaged status expand their school selection list? For example, I see on here on SDN that URMs are encouraged to apply more broadly. Is that also true for disadvantaged applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

For applicants with strong justification for indicating "yes" for disadvantaged status, such as government assistance like SNAP/food stamps, how does this factor into the admissions committee's review? Will they be more inclined to invite the applicant for an interview?

Can applicants with disadvantaged status expand their school selection list? For example, I see on here on SDN that URMs are encouraged to apply more broadly. Is that also true for disadvantaged applicants?
It depends on the mission of the individual school
Certain schools have quotas for # of URMs, disadvantaged, etc. Buy a copy of the MSAR and do your own research.

The reasons for this are many:
1) Patients identify and get along better with providers who look like themselves (this is not racist or judgmental, just a culture thing)
2) Varied experiences strengthen the medical school student body
3) Many people want to make the medical school playing field more equitable

Etc.

An applicant's background is one of the many data points that we look at. All else being equal, a first-gen college graduate who grew up with a family income of <$25k will have traveled much further than someone with double physician parents and a family income of >$400k. Medical school applicants mostly come from (very) privileged backgrounds. Growing up in a disadvantaged environment will be seen positively by the committee as it helps demonstrate resiliency while contributing to the diversity and learning of a class. It may also provide some context for relative deficiencies in an application. We like rooting for the underdogs. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users