How is everyone paying for the excessive application fees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

With unmarked bills, in a suitcase, left at the corner of State and Main St.

any other suggestions?

You could try playing poker online. I play $1/$2 LHE at PS and if I play around 4 hours, I usually leave the tables with $150+.

Easy money. Just remember to have a set $$$ to spend and don't try to get rich overnight... have a limit on everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents fronted the money initially. My grandmother recently passed. She left me 5,000 dollars amongst other things. I'm going to use that for the process. I don't recommend my way of paying for it. I will always remember how she helped me get in though!

How are you people planning to pay for application fees? I unfortunately don't have money to pay for application fees, and expensive as that is, application fees are pocket change compared to the cost of tuition.I only have enough to apply to a few schools.

Why oh why was I born so handsome but not rich? Unlike what they say, it's not true that to be handsome is to have a first-class ticket on the journey of life and I blame my parents for it. I will try to borrow money but it seems difficult since I don't have a job currently, I spend all my time volunteering at the clinic and pleasing everyone with my endowments. I want to apply very widely to maximize my chances of getting into med school. So what's a handsome guy like me supposed to do about the money situation?

Yeah man, my primary cost me 1090.00 (I applied to 32 schools). I put that straight on my 2nd credit card. My first one's maxed out, and I'm thinking about getting a 3rd card to pay for secondaries, and probably a 4th to pay for interviews. I'm in the same boat, my parents are not poor, but not rich enough to just hand me thousands of dollars to pay for this, and I really did not want to ask them to help me pay since they give me about $600 every month to help pay for rent/utilities all that.

I'm working 2 jobs also and that's barely letting me pay off a little bit of my credit card debt. Between food prices (I actually have trouble affording milk now, lol) and gas (no need to say more here), I have no idea how they expect us to pay these application fees. It's actually a little disappointing for me to recieve GW's secondary app information and see that their fee is $125. I really can't afford this but I have no choice. I'm not about to let up a life-long dream on account of an application fee. Most of us are going to be taking out loans anyway, so might as well start right now.

Another good way to make a quick buck if you are in a large research area is to participate as a subject for studies. I do MRI studies at Duke and they tend to pay around twenty dollars an hour or more. (you just have to be ok with sitting in the MRI for a while, which I am; definitely not for claustrophobic people) I know that the Fuqua business school at Duke will also pay people to take surveys, so you can look into that as well if there is a business school or something near you.

But yeh, I'd try and get a job if you want some more steady money.

Yeah, I heard of one paid study at my nearby medical school where you ingest some food type, get hooked up to electrodes, and basically don't move very much for the next day or so while the food is being digested so that your body's reaction & digestion of the food can be measured. Just live in that bubble that's monitored very closely for heat differences and such.

I've seen a bunch of "compensation provided" medical studies being done through the med school, the last one was take some weird combo of drugs that have been FDA approved, including one for AIDS patients with infections.. maybe it's just me, that seems a bit outside my comfort zone given the study's likely being done to check for some adverse reaction (I'd guess).

How about temp agencies? labor by the hour? I'm thinking of looking at schools that I can drive to within a day (maybe within 700 miles of home?) and am getting nervous in a hopeful sense about those plane tix.

Got a school loan and used it for study abroad, random expenses, and primaries... out of money now so parents are going to be fronting me the money for secondaries until my next school loan is given in Aug... after that I will just put stuff on credit cards or my parents with help out- not sure yet.

go collect tin cans and plastic bottles. Hm.. have fun. If you want to cheat the system, you have to bring loads of bottles and pour water over them because they pay you by the weight of it.

I'm draining my savings account (and looking for a job).