How is life at USC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a new member here. I was wondering if anyone in this forum attend USC school of pharmacy. I am going there this fall, and was wondering what the first semester will be like.

I am very excited to go to USC! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacuetics I - covers oral forumulation, usually pill and capsule formulation. Includes a group project and a mini oral exam.

Biosystem- Physiology and Anatomy of various organ system. In the first semister they will cover embryology, neurology, GI system, respiratory, and muscular system. There are pop quizzes in this class, which they say is extra credit, however some of us do not feel like they are really extra credit. There will be a pop quizz the very first day of class at the beginning of class.

Pharmcare- covers basic disease management such as diabetes and osteoporosis management, and etc...

Genetic- covers basic genetic application to drug delivery such as gene therapy and antisense.

Externship - go a few days to ur site (hospital or retail), usually 1 to 6, depending on the site u go to. Work for them for free. You will be tested on ur top 100 drugs in this class.

Leadership- self explanatory

Communication- self explanatory

There is notepool (written word for word of each lecture) and of course test packets (collection of old exams) for u to buy. There will be many organizations wanting u to join such as NCPA, APSA, and etc..

Class is from 8 to 12 usually, meaning get there on time or else u will miss those extra credit quizzes. Trust me, u will need them.
U need a gpa = 3.00 to graduate.

ENJOY FIRST YEAR, SECOND YEAR IS HELL!!!!

Congrats pharmacy111~! I'll be one of your many classmates this fall. I'm very excited for the first semester as well. Hope to see you on April 7th :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gdk420
Leadership- self explanatory

Communication- self explanatory

Didn't the curriculum change last year so that courses such as communication, microbiology, biochemistry, etc. are required as prerequisites instead of pharm school courses? I wasn't aware that we had to take leadership and communication classes... Thanks for all the info, it was really helpful.

Thanks for the info gdk420!

Sukie, yes definitely on 4/7!!

Are you taking that optional tour?

I am not sure, but I think what they did with leadership and communication was cram it all into one big class with externship and called it something else. You would have to ask Triangulation on that. However, during my year, even though we were required to take some communication class (aka speech) it was still part of the curriculum. Classes like microbiology, even though they disappeared from the curriculum, some of the concepts from the course will be intergrated into other courses such as ur antimicrobial therapuetics class, so even though the class itself disappear, the concepts in that class such as gram negative and gram positive bacteria will appear in other related classes.

Leadership, externship, and pharmaceutical care class is called "Pharmacy Care" as a 5 unit class. The pharmaceutical care part of it is held with 2nd year students.

Originally posted by pharmacy111
Are you taking that optional tour?

Yes I'll be touring that day. I've only been inside the PSC building for the interview. I want to check out the library, Seaver, and the other facilities. See you there!

As far as speech and communications go, are we given many oral presentations/assignments for the first and second years?

Thanks for all of your help gdk and lyzziebeth~!

Hey Trojons!! my AIM is pharmacy1111 that's four ones!!!:)

Hello, just a quick dumb question. What kind of coat do pharmacist in clinical setting wear?? long ones like MD or jacket like one that you see pharm tech wear in Wallgreens. Just curious

I was just elected my class vice-president so life is pretty good (except for that biosys exam tomorrow, but i don't have compounding lab tomorrow, so i have all day to cram, so i life is still good.)

Who went to the welcoming reception today? What did you guys think? Good food huh?

Just wondering..... why do they have a welcoming reception already?? what about the people who are waiting to hear decisions from the last interview session that was on March 20?? Or are all decisions made already? Just thought that was a little odd.

There will be another welcoming reception in July for those who interviewed at a later date. =)

Like you said homey, it's a chance for the frats (except mine which I'll have to bring up w/Val) to get an early start on the incoming class.

Originally posted by BMBiology
Who went to the welcoming reception today? What did you guys think? Good food huh?

Yeah, good food. Where were you?

I was expecting more people, but I guess it's hard for out-of-towners to make it on a Wednesday night.

Yeah, I was there for a while. I was wearing a white USC pharmacy sweater and I was walking around video taping the event. =)