How to prepare for pharmacy school interview in 2ish weeks when the only reason I got an interview is due to being a PA reject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlygirl1738

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Reaction score
So I had posted once before about this, I'm 23 y/o and applied 1st time for PA school last cycle (last april not this recent one) and got rejected everywhere. (applied to 7schools?) I randomly get an email one day from a school I got my BS science from where I also applied to their PA program saying I could transfer my CASPA application easily if I filled out a form and am interested in pharmacy, not too long after that I get an interview invitation which is on may 18th. I always saw myself as a PA, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm tired of being underpaid and want to purse my studies in a higher profession/more earning potential. Time is ticking and I am not advancing nor finding a decent ish job with my degree only. I am not opposed to pharmacy and considered it before, but PA took me away by shorter school time, flexibility in work environment, etc. Again I am at a point where I've already had 2 gap years and am ready for school. also given I am interested in pharmacy it's just not my wow dream job but work is work at the end of the day. maybe I do prefer less patient contact as the more I work in patient care roles the more I realize it's not all butterflies but I'm also not making 6 figures to make up for it. Anyways, how can I prepare for this interview mainly with the question "why do you want to be a pharmacist?" they know I am a transfer applicant and I don't want to come off as fake like I've wanted to be one since middle/high school. how can I actually seem interested and not only there because they messaged me? I don't want it to be awkward because again I'm sure they know I originally applied to CASPA. However, they have to know I'm still interested in pursuing this program and can see myself as a pharmacist. I am more introverted so again maybe less patient contact is my thing as I get older and realize my introvertness wasn't a phase and I am bound to be this way for life haha. any advice is appreciated thank you.
I think pharmacy is an interesting profession since you get to learn all about diseases and medications and their interactions/use/side effects/ etc and this part of the medical field does intrigue me since the pharma industry is booming. to be an expert in this field requires a lot of knowledge and hard work, and I know I'm capable of achieving something this great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would answer honestly that you are only there because they invited you to apply.

Also, I would suggest seriously reevaluating the decision to apply. But whatever you decide, good luck!

I would answer honestly that you are only there because they invited you to apply.

Also, I would suggest seriously reevaluating the decision to apply. But whatever you decide, good luck!
If you read my post you will see that is not the answer I want to give, nor does it show I care to be there or want to pursue pharmacy. Just because it wasn't my first choice, doesn't mean I never would do it or have no interest. I didn't have the capacity to apply to PA and pharmacy school simultaneously. one thing at a time and they just happened to reach out at a time where I was lost on what to do without waiting another gap year.

As much as it was appealing to be a PA and have 2 yrs of school, I can't afford to miss out on another year minimum when I could be pursuing something I also like with a (I would say higher title?)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you read my post you will see that is not the answer I want to give, nor does it show I care to be there or want to pursue pharmacy. Just because it wasn't my first choice, doesn't mean I never would do it or have no interest. I didn't have the capacity to apply to PA and pharmacy school simultaneously. one thing at a time and they just happened to reach out at a time where I was lost on what to do without waiting another gap year.

As much as it was appealing to be a PA and have 2 yrs of school, I can't afford to miss out on another year minimum when I could be pursuing something I also like with a (I would say higher title?)
I did read your post. And I still suggest giving an honest answer. I try to practice radical honesty and highly recommend it to others. You might be surprised how far honesty takes you.

And I am not suggesting you be rude about it. Tell them what you posted above about thinking pharmacy is a good fit blah blah blah. But don’t make up a story about why you applied, just be straight.

Reactions: 4 users
Let me get this straight: Pharmacy schools are still interviewing people? Are the questions like: Can you confirm you have a pulse? Is there any reason you can't borrow $200,000 to pay us?

Reactions: 1 users
From an interviewer's point of view:
_ I don't care about your other career choice or how many interviews you have. I just want to know how genuinely you are committed to my program & to be a pharmacist. Also, some program will do blind interview, in which the interviewers know nothing about candidates background.
_ There are only 2 questions asking "why pharmacy?" & "why this program?" but there 10 other questions for us to gauge who you are. It is not hard for us to spot scripted answers. So just be true to yourself. Generally we are more interested in candidates who potentially can contribute something to our program. Just show us what you can bring to the table.
Good luck !

OKAY, so you are absolutely ignoring the 14 responses you got on your previous post. Remember, the one about lots of RED FLAGS?
I say go for it, tell them you don't want to wait another year, you are aging out real fast, and you want "the higher title".
I really don't think there is anything you can say that would keep you out of that school.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, I hate people like you. You asked for advice, we all told you not to do it, and you're going to do it anyway. Why even ask then? You already made up your mind. You just wasted all of our time. Good luck is all I have to say. Enjoy your 200k in student loans for a job that you'll hate.

I have a friend who made an impulse decision to get a giant tattoo on her entire back of a Phoenix rising or some dumb ****. She asked all of her friends if it was a good idea and we all told her no. She went ahead and got it anyway and now she completely covers up her back all the time cause she's embarrassed at her stupid decision. She can't wear a bathing suit at the beach, she can't wear a dress, she even had to wear a shirt to cover herself under her wedding dress. She tells us all the time that she should have listened to our advice and regrets doing it. You are the same as this friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I did read your post. And I still suggest giving an honest answer. I try to practice radical honesty and highly recommend it to others. You might be surprised how far honesty takes you.

And I am not suggesting you be rude about it. Tell them what you posted above about thinking pharmacy is a good fit blah blah blah. But don’t make up a story about why you applied, just be straight.
Yes but being that blunt as in I'm just here because I'm forced to be isn't a good look however I will mention this is an alternative route I'm willing to take and am interested in.
OP, I hate people like you. You asked for advice, we all told you not to do it, and you're going to do it anyway. Why even ask then? You already made up your mind. You just wasted all of our time. Good luck is all I have to say. Enjoy your 200k in student loans for a job that you'll hate.
I have nothing to lose from attending this interview. I haven’t been accepted yet. Real question is would they be able to save my spot if I wanted to start the next next fall? That was an option originally to transfer my app for 2024 fall but I wanted to start sooner. Not sure how that would have worked. Anyways why does everyone hate their job so much? Real question.

Yes but being that blunt as in I'm just here because I'm forced to be isn't a good look however I will mention this is an alternative route I'm willing to take and am interested in.

I have nothing to lose from attending this interview. I haven’t been accepted yet. Real question is would they be able to save my spot if I wanted to start the next next fall? That was an option originally to transfer my app for 2024 fall but I wanted to start sooner. Not sure how that would have worked. Anyways why does everyone hate their job so much? Real question.

No one is "saving your spot". Pharmacy schools cannot fill their seats and they are desperate to get naive students like you to give them $200,000. The interview is BS and I'm surprised they're still wasting people's time with it. You are already accepted they just want your money.

Since you've done zero research about this profession, let me show you how to find out why you'll end up with a job you'll hate. Go to your local CVS or Walgreens around noon or 5pm and ask to speak to the pharmacist. You'll see how happy they are to come up to you and answer your questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Since you've done zero research about this profession, let me show you how to find out why you'll end up with a job you'll hate. Go to your local CVS or Walgreens around noon or 5pm and ask to speak to the pharmacist. You'll see how happy they are to come up to you and answer your questions.
Why? Sounds like OP won’t listen anyways.

OP, you mentioned that you’re tired of being underpaid. Are you ready to be underpaid, overstretched and student loan’ed out? Even if you walk out of pharmacy school with no loans, it’s STILL not worth the stress for the money we get paid.

If you want actual decent quality of life and decent pay, please look into a computer science type degree. You know, a field with ACTUAL job prospects, good pay and decent quality of life.

Remember the old saying: if it’s easy to get, maybe that’s because no one wants it.

That is pharmacy school.

You are doing this for all the wrong reasons. You’re worried about another gap year? Think about how many years being a pharmacist ROBS from your LIFE. Take a gap year, do some research on pharmacy and other career paths that pay well. I can GUARANTEE you the pharmacy spot will be there next year if you’re adamant on going.

Work as a pharmacy tech for a month, see what your future will look like. You’ll thank us later.

OP, you mentioned that you’re tired of being underpaid. Are you ready to be underpaid, overstretched and student loan’ed out? Even if you walk out of pharmacy school with no loans, it’s STILL not worth the stress for the money we get paid.

If you want actual decent quality of life and decent pay, please look into a computer science type degree. You know, a field with ACTUAL job prospects, good pay and decent quality of life.

Remember the old saying: if it’s easy to get, maybe that’s because no one wants it.

That is pharmacy school.

You are doing this for all the wrong reasons. You’re worried about another gap year? Think about how many years being a pharmacist ROBS from your LIFE. Take a gap year, do some research on pharmacy and other career paths that pay well. I can GUARANTEE you the pharmacy spot will be there next year if you’re adamant on going.

Work as a pharmacy tech for a month, see what your future will look like. You’ll thank us later.
I appreciate your point of view and advice. But if it’s so bad of a job why don’t you leave it? Or did you already? Is there any hope in this profession at all… it’s very discouraging. Funny because I always thought standing on your feet for hours in a cubicle was depressing. But I figured I hate working anyways idk. I just want to get the ball rolling and it’s in a field I’m still interested in. Am I stupid for pursuing this?

That is pharmacy school.

The only other path I’m looking at is imaging technician… would this be better prospects? It’s decent enough money with room for advancement in mris etc. But that’s my back up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your point of view and advice. But if it’s so bad of a job why don’t you leave it? Or did you already? Is there any hope in this profession at all… it’s very discouraging.
Coming from someone who did leave: you're rushing into this and sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that it's what you actually want. I think you'll regret going into pharmacy. At the very least, you should work as a tech for a while and get to know some pharmacists in real life.

You've mentioned it being a field you're interested in: what about it do you find interesting?

I appreciate your point of view and advice. But if it’s so bad of a job why don’t you leave it? Or did you already? Is there any hope in this profession at all… it’s very discouraging. Funny because I always thought standing on your feet for hours in a cubicle was depressing. But I figured I hate working anyways idk. I just want to get the ball rolling and it’s in a field I’m still interested in. Am I stupid for pursuing this?

The only other path I’m looking at is imaging technician… would this be better prospects? It’s decent enough money with room for advancement in mris etc. But that’s my back up.
I’m fortunate enough I work a desk job for a PBM from home. I have the golden job. While I am working on a way out, I have a job that’s up there on the totem pole. My goal is to get into computer science field. I enjoy the flexibility and the pay. I got into pharmacy thinking I’d enjoy the people but I’m at the point where I get enough social interaction outside of work. I just want a good paying, flexible job. Getting here wasn’t easy and most of my classmates are still in retail hell.

Honestly, I think there are lots of options. Pharmacy is just a lot of headwinds to get a good job. I’m not sure about imaging tech but I think @RXDOC1986 mentionned dental hygienist are still in high deman, get paid well and you make your own hours. Seems to be a long term thing too.

I would do some soul searching as so why you wanted to do PA in the first place. If I were in your spot I’d use the next year to get explore many different professions before deciding.

Only retail pharmacy is bad (but it is still better than bedside nursing). Non-retail pharmacy is actually quite good. Yes, I have 150k+ in student loan but it doesn't bother me. I still live comfortably within my means.

200k & 3-4 years of your life is a big invesment. Make sure you know what you get yourself into and set your expectations appropriately.

The pharmacists who like their unicorn jobs will never leave until they find a better unicorn job. If they do leave, then someone will already be lined up to take their current position before the job is even posted. The employer will post the position for legal reasons (makes it look like they're not discriminating and everyone has a fair shot) and hundreds of applications will waste their time applying. We've all gone through this process. A new pharmacist basically has no chance of getting one of these unicorn jobs.

There are 15k new PharmDs per year. You will just be another number in the most saturated health field. This ship sailed about 15 years ago.

You'll likely end up in a retail job that you hate just like the majority of new grads for the past 10+ years. You can try your luck but I predict you'll be back here in a couple years asking if you should continue pharmacy school or change majors.

Yes, this is a much better option than pharmacy. We don't know why, but prepharms have this "pharmacy or nothing" mentality as if pharmacy is the only option in the world.

Most of us are pharmacists. We can't say for certain that you'll be miserable in this profession, but the odds are not in your favor. If you think you can prove us wrong, do it.

If your loans are 200k and you can live like a student to put 50k towards it then every year it'll take you 4 years to just break even after pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Most of us are phamracists. We can't say for certain that you'll be miserable in this profession, but the odds are not in your favor. If you think you can prove us wrong, do it.

If your loans are 200k and you can live like a student to put 50k towards it then every year it'll take you 4 years to just break even after pharmacy school.
Do you enjoy your job? and if you make about 130k yearly that's still around 50-60k to live off yearly correct? that doesn't sound too bad.

Most of us are phamracists. We can't say for certain that you'll be miserable in this profession, but the odds are not in your favor. If you think you can prove us wrong, do it.

Just because I never dreamed of being a pharmacist doesn't mean I wouldn't excel nor enjoy it. Many times you hear of people career switching and being happier. and that's an even bigger step knowing you have a career already.

Just because I never dreamed of being a pharmacist doesn't mean I wouldn't excel nor enjoy it. Many times you hear of people career switching and being happier. and that's an even bigger step knowing you have a career already.

You've done zero research and haven't even worked as a technician 🤦

Do you enjoy your job? and if you make about 130k yearly that's still around 50-60k to live off yearly correct? that doesn't sound too bad.
Too many assumptions here. 130k isn't guaranteed. I don't know how it is now but a couple years ago new grads were only getting 32 hours, some areas paying as low as $45-50/hr so that's more like 83k before taxes. Retail stores have been cutting hours each year. I assume you want health insurance and to contribute to 401k too so your take home will be less than what you think after taxes and deductions.

Knowing you have a career already, huh? It wasn't long ago when new grad pharmacists couldn't get a job.

I think you are underestimating the drag of student loans. Here are some quick and dirty numbers.

You are likely to take home 3k a paycheck as a pharmacist or 6k a month.

Screenshot_20230502_121617_Chrome.jpg

If you have 2300 in loans a month that will leave you 3700 to live on, or 44k a year....for 10 years, to break even on your "investment"

This is a best case scenario And you have priced yourself for perfection to essentially become an indentured servant. What if:

-No full time hours? Crappy pay? They cut all your techs and leave you alone? Sucks to suck

-Want to do a more relaxed but lower paying job? Nope, you got bills to pay.

-You get held back a year or fail a class? Add another 2 years.

You know what my friends in retail tell me? They make 65 an hour but they feel bad because the new grads are being hired in the low 50s, with no full time hours.

Can you luck an msl job and make 250k+ plus a year? Or get a super duper cush job? Maybe. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Only retail pharmacy is bad (but it is still better than bedside nursing). Non-retail pharmacy is actually quite good. Yes, I have 150k+ in student loan but it doesn't bother me. I still live comfortably within my means.

200k & 3-4 years of your life is a big invesment. Make sure you know what you get yourself into and set your expectations appropriately.

I would say bedside nursing is way better than retail pharmacy. Nurses can get a degree at a community college and state university for cheap. They have strong unions. They can go on strike and everyone would support them. Can you imagine a pharmacist going on strike outside of CVS? They would be laughed out of the parking lot. Nurses get raises and bonuses like clockwork. Many pharmacists don't even get a raise or bonus anymore so their salary just gets eaten by inflation each year.

RNs can do travel nursing and get paid to travel around the country and get free rent. They are respected by the community unlike pharmacists. Their jobs are always in demand. There are some RNs who make more than pharmacists. You have some retail pharmacists in this forum who admit to coming early and staying late off the clock to catch up. No nurse will work for free like that, they get overtime.

You've done zero research and haven't even worked as a technician 🤦
I can imagine what it's like, I've worked retail and with patients before, aside from putting together the refills/prescriptions what huge aspect am I missing out on? that I can't learn down the road?

You actually remind me of my friend in college. Pharmacy was never his choice. He was dreaming to become a dentist. Unfortunately, all dental schools rejected him. However he got accepted to the one & only pharmacy school that he applied to as a back up. He deferred that Pharmacy admission for a year so that he could try for dental schools again in the next cycle. Well, dental schools didn't work out as he had hoped and he ended up becoming a pharmacist hehe. The last time we spoke (before covid) he was a happy pharmacy manager at a small hospital in southern California.

Interestingly, when I asked him for his insights about pharmacy (back in 2010 when he was a new grad pharmacist) he actually discouraged me from pursuing pharmacy (the same discouragement you get on this forum). Well, I took his advice and decided to become a pharmacist anyway hehe. Yes, I graduated with 200k student loan. Yes I enjoy my current job. So yes, 200k & 4 years of my life is totally worth it for a pharmacist license.

You actually remind me of my friend in college. Pharmacy was never his choice. He was dreaming to become a dentist. Unfortunately, all dental schools rejected him. However he got accepted to the one & only pharmacy school that he applied to as a back up. He deferred that Pharmacy admission for a year so that he could try for dental schools again in the next cycle. Well, dental schools didn't work out as he had hoped and he ended up becoming a pharmacist hehe. The last time we spoke (before covid) he was a happy pharmacy manager at a small hospital in southern California.

Interestingly, when I asked him for his insights about pharmacy (back in 2010 when he was a new grad pharmacist) he actually discouraged me from pursuing pharmacy (the same discouragement you get on this forum). Well, I took his advice and decided to become a pharmacist anyway hehe. Yes, I graduated with 200k student loan. Yes I enjoy my current job. So yes, 200k & 4 years of my life is totally worth it for a pharmacist license.
Some positivity, thank you.

How hard was pharmacy school?

I can imagine what it's like, I've worked retail and with patients before, aside from putting together the refills/prescriptions what huge aspect am I missing out on? that I can't learn down the road?

You haven't stepped a foot inside a pharmacy. You should work as a tech and then decide.

I would say bedside nursing is way better than retail pharmacy. Nurses can get a degree at a community college and state university for cheap. They have strong unions. They can go on strike and everyone would support them. Can you imagine a pharmacist going on strike outside of CVS? They would be laughed out of the parking lot. Nurses get raises and bonuses like clockwork. Many pharmacists don't even get a raise or bonus anymore so their salary just gets eaten by inflation each year.

RNs can do travel nursing and get paid to travel around the country and get free rent. They are respected by the community unlike pharmacists. Their jobs are always in demand. There are some RNs who make more than pharmacists. You have some retail pharmacists in this forum who admit to coming early and staying late off the clock to catch up. No nurse will work for free like that, they get overtime.
I worked full time for almost 2 years as a bedside RN in a 47 beds nursing unit (400 beds major medical center). I also worked full time for almost 4 years in retail pharmacy (2 years as a pharmacy manager). That is how I come up with that conclusion. You have worked zero hour as a bedside RN. So of course your perspective is different from mine.

I am also a union pharmacists; so yes I get raise twice a year like nurses. Also not all nurses are union workers (there was no nursing union at that medical center where I worked!!). It just depends on where you work.

True, many retail pharmacists have to work off the clock with no pay. However, it is a known fact that retail pharmacy is bad. Decent employers will pay pharmacists for overtime just like nursing.

I worked full time for almost 2 years as a bedside RN in a 47 beds nursing unit (400 beds major medical center). I also worked full time for almost 4 years in retail pharmacy (2 years as a pharmacy manager). That is how I come up with that conclusion. You have worked zero hour as a bedside RN. So of course your perspective is different from mine.

I am also a union pharmacists; so yes I get raise twice a year like nurses. Also not all nurses are union workers (there was no nursing union at that medical center where I worked!!). It just depends on where you work.

True, many retail pharmacists have to work off the clock with no pay. However, it is a known fact that retail pharmacy is bad. Decent employers will pay pharmacists for overtime just like nursing.

Sounds like you have a unicorn job. OP is not likely to get one.

Oh boy, you are in for quite a shock.

How hard was pharmacy school?
Pharmacy school was of course not easy, but it was not that hard hehe. Didactic part was demanding as expected for graduate level. Clinical rotation was actually easier than my nursing school. Well, I probably has bias since I already had experience as a RN, so things were much easier for me in pharmacy clinical rotations.

Sounds like you have a unicorn job. OP is not likely to get one.
My current job is indeed rare in the pharmacy world but it is still not the best one in my organization. Also my employer has more than 200+ pharmacists on its payroll so I am not the only one who enjoy those union benefits.

Well, future is mystery, OP may just become an awesome pharmacist land a unicorn job somewhere.

My current job is indeed rare in the pharmacy world but it is still not the best one in my organization. Also my employer has more than 200+ pharmacists on its payroll so I am not the only one who enjoy those union benefits.

Well, future is mystery, OP may just become an awesome pharmacist land a unicorn job somewhere.

So if one of those 200 positions opens up, OP can compete with 15k new PharmDs each year plus the hundreds of thousands that already exist. That's encouraging.

So if one of those 200 positions opens up, OP can compete with 15k new PharmDs each year plus the hundreds of thousands that already exist. That's encouraging.
Well, we don't hire new grads so that is 15k off the list. For the other hundreds of thousand RPh, the majority of them don't even know that we even exist. So the real applications is probably ~20. True, OP probably won't get the job with the first or even the 10th try. However, as long as OP keep making themselves a better candidate year after year, their time will come.

Pays less, but much less education. My facility is staffed mostly by temps as they can’t get enough full time staff. Career progression is largely from on the job training: CT tech pays more than X-ray tech, MRI tech pays more than CT tech. Ultra sound techs tend to make the most money as there’s more skill associated with the job. You can make over 100k after several years of progression.

I have been a pharmacist for 37+ years. A Pharm.D. (rare 40 yrs ago) and Residency- BCNSP. I have had many high-paying and unique jobs.
Like Regional Director for a Home Infusion Company, at 29 yo.
As Clinical Oncology Pharmacist for a GYN-Oncology practice of 10 M.D.s, where I would direct all chemotherapy at our 3 infusion centers and at two hospitals where our patients would go to. The hospital would call me for all the Chemotherapy Orders and any other medication order (including TPNs).
I was Pediatric ICU/Transplant clinical Pharmacist at a large pediatric teaching hospital (the most stressful/delicate job out there)
Pharmacy has been very good to me, making top money for 4 decades. Affording a VERY comfortable lifestyle. Put two kids through college (no loans) 4 cars, a very large house. Retirement 401K, more than I can ever spend. I love my profession, always enjoyed what I do.
How is that for positivity! I CAN be super positive.
The perception of our profession, is so far from the present day reality. I am not the OLD, "get off my lawn" burned out pharmacist. The bleak outlook for pharmacy is a reality.
I look around our large Regional Hospital, I can line up 50 young pharmacists that would tell you how great a job they have. But it's not the norm.
We are just trying to help.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that both people mentioned in that anecdote have atypical careers.

But hey, you came for advice and ignored it all. You're obviously going to do what you want and that's cool. I hope you stick around to let us know how things work out.

On a lighter note, worked at the VA Hospital as IV Technician, my 4th year in pharmacy school (1985). There was a bunch of older pharmacists, set up with decent pay, great hours, great benefits and a nice pension. The word was, you have to kill somebody to be fired from the VA! (true)
They always said; "it's a horrible profession, get out while you still can!" while they had an easy job, over staffed.
I would say "now you are telling me, I have 9 months left to graduation, a wife, and student loans" what am I going to do?
I would go home depressed every night!
The manager offered me a job, to stay on, but at a GS-9 level, the pay was $29,000/year (yes, the golden age of pharmacy) - there were career techs there at a GS -11, making more than me as new R.Ph.!!!! I should have stayed.

I have to repost this from a few years back since this seems to be what the vast majority of students go through. Replace residency with maybe industry/fellowship, PBM, or some other cushy work from home job.

Pre-pharmacy

Pharmacist: Don't go into pharmacy.

Student: But pharmacy is my dream!

Pharmacist: Ok, fine. Make sure you choose the cheapest school. Borrow as little as possible. Work while you're in school.

Student: But I want to stay in Southern California! I will apply for hospital jobs.

P2

Student: I just completed my community IPPE. I hate retail!

Pharmacist: Better start bolstering that GPA now. You'll need it for residency.

Student: I better quit my internship and focus on grades!

P4

Student: I didn't match with a residency program!

Pharmacist: Beggars can't be choosers. 70% of the jobs are in retail and you've got a lot of loans there to pay off.

New grad with an offer

New grad: Yay! I got an offer!

Pharmacist: For how much per hour, and how many hours do you get?

New grad: $45 an hour. No guarantee of how many hours. My DM told me usually 32, although some people have been getting as little as 8 per week.

Pharmacist: You can move to a less saturated city.

New grad: Who would ever want to live in [insert flyover city]?!

1 year later

Experienced pharmacist: For $45/hour you really shouldn't be putting in 3 hours of unpaid overtime each shift. You're burning yourself out, and you're putting patient safety at risk by cutting corners like that. How do you manage to give all these flu shots?

New grad: But I want to impress my DM with my hard work! I am hoping to get more hours and hopefully a staff position. I have LOANS!

Experienced pharmacist: This is what happens when you don't listen. You choose to go into a saturated field and pick one of the most expensive schools possible without ever having worked in a pharmacy. You realize that you hate retail only after you're halfway done with school so you gun for a residency which you did not land. Most of the jobs are in retail but even though you hate it, you are desperate to get more hours because you are drowning in $200k+ student loans. You try to impress your DM by cutting corners and putting in more unpaid hours but you are only setting a new normal and making it worse for everyone else. We keep trying to give you real world advice but you keep ignoring it and digging yourself into a deeper hole. I wish you the best of luck trying to climb out of that $200k hole when jobs and opportunities are limited.

tl;dr We keep giving advice to students to reduce their student loan burdens and stand up for themselves and the profession but they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper.

Reactions: 3 users
I have to repost this from a few years back since this seems to be what the vast majority of students go through. Replace residency with maybe industry/fellowship, PBM, or some other cushy work from home job.

Pre-pharmacy

Pharmacist: Don't go into pharmacy.

Student: But pharmacy is my dream!

Pharmacist: Ok, fine. Make sure you choose the cheapest school. Borrow as little as possible. Work while you're in school.

Student: But I want to stay in Southern California! I will apply for hospital jobs.

P2

Student: I just completed my community IPPE. I hate retail!

Pharmacist: Better start bolstering that GPA now. You'll need it for residency.

Student: I better quit my internship and focus on grades!

P4

Student: I didn't match with a residency program!

Pharmacist: Beggars can't be choosers. 70% of the jobs are in retail and you've got a lot of loans there to pay off.

New grad with an offer

New grad: Yay! I got an offer!

Pharmacist: For how much per hour, and how many hours do you get?

New grad: $45 an hour. No guarantee of how many hours. My DM told me usually 32, although some people have been getting as little as 8 per week.

Pharmacist: You can move to a less saturated city.

New grad: Who would ever want to live in [insert flyover city]?!

1 year later

Experienced pharmacist: For $45/hour you really shouldn't be putting in 3 hours of unpaid overtime each shift. You're burning yourself out, and you're putting patient safety at risk by cutting corners like that. How do you manage to give all these flu shots?

New grad: But I want to impress my DM with my hard work! I am hoping to get more hours and hopefully a staff position. I have LOANS!

Experienced pharmacist: This is what happens when you don't listen. You choose to go into a saturated field and pick one of the most expensive schools possible without ever having worked in a pharmacy. You realize that you hate retail only after you're halfway done with school so you gun for a residency which you did not land. Most of the jobs are in retail but even though you hate it, you are desperate to get more hours because you are drowning in $200k+ student loans. You try to impress your DM by cutting corners and putting in more unpaid hours but you are only setting a new normal and making it worse for everyone else. We keep trying to give you real world advice but you keep ignoring it and digging yourself into a deeper hole. I wish you the best of luck trying to climb out of that $200k hole when jobs and opportunities are limited.

tl;dr We keep giving advice to students to reduce their student loan burdens and stand up for themselves and the profession but they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper.
So what are you suggesting I do?

Take some time and see other prospective careers. Open your horizon. Go talk to your local pharmacist, better yet work there. But become a pharmacist is never the answer.

There are plenty of other professions out there, I.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay well, are in high demand, allow for a much better work life balance, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

I generally don’t recommend healthcare overall due to the awful treatment of our worker especially during the pandemic by the general public and non-clinical administration. No one is forcing you at gunpoint to choose either PA or pharmacy.

If you’re looking for quality of life, pay, or professional fulfillment then you will most likely get little or none if you choose pharmacy.

Last edited:
There are pros & cons in every career. As long as you work hard & smart, you'll be fine.

There are some obviously better career choices m, I.e. software engineering where employees get to work from home and get paid far more than most others.

Pharmacy has mostly cons when it comes to pay (net after student loan debt payments), work-life balance, work conditions, liability, and professional fulfillment.

There are some obviously better career choices m, I.e. software engineering where employees get to work from home and get paid far more than most others.

Pharmacy has mostly cons when it comes to pay (net after student loan debt payments), work-life balance, work conditions, liability, and professional fulfillment.
I don’t find working for someone else to be professionally fulfilling, no matter the career, but otherwise yes you’re spot on.