How is the app pool this time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the application pool looking like for this year for path residency? Is it still getting more competitive, or was last year's hike due to cutting it from 5 to 4 years?

Members don't see this ad.

It is going to be brutal this year. I don't think it has to do with the 5 to 4 year think, but is probably just more of a cyclic thing. In fact, I think the slight bump this year will pale into comparison compared to the exponential leap next year.

My school has only put about 4 people in path in the last 3 years, but next year there are 7 of us (out of class of 185) that are going into path. Two are MD/PhDs, who I think are also good as far as boards and class rank go (one is "junior" AOA), plus two other are "juniro" AOA and have board scores over 260 (one of which had the highest Step 1 score at my school (265)). The guy that had the 265 also was class president sophmore and junior years. The other two are strong students also. Myself, well, although not as impressive as some of these cats, I think I am good all-around. So that means four of the eight "junior" AOAs (top 3% of the class) are shooting for pathology. The other four AOAs are going into plastics, radiology and ortho. Two of us want to go into forenics, three into academics and two into the community.

I think the days of FMGs filling 30-40% of path postions are done for now.

Usually, only about 2 or 3 go into path every year in my school and each class is about 180 people...and this year, ther'es a record 6 people going into it. So I guess thats a 100% jump from last year :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
pathstudent and others:

Why are people choosing to go into path? I agree with you that it is probably cyclical, I am sure that the laying to rest of fears of a bad job market help, and I too doubt that the 5-to-4 years has a major impact. I can't help but wonder if the recent pop culture appeal of pathology is causing this stir... (MY own dad who 4 years ago could not stand the thought of me going into a non-patient related field --"why would you want to do something like that"-- now promises his friends he'll have me give them tours of the morgue!)

A family member actually had a little old lady waiting at her PMD's office say to her "these here aren't real doctors, those pathologists on tv are the real doctors." You can probably find old threads of mine on SDN showing my worry more than 3 years ago about whether the public would ever view pathologists in the same light as "people docs"... and whether or not that would bother me if I went into pathology. Now most patients I meet think its the cat's meow field and I have many folks ACTUALLY say to me (pleasantly) "well maybe you'll work on me when I'm dead." I find there is no point in trying to explain biopsies...

SO when I hear your numerically well-endowed friends are considering forensics, I have to wonder... It is certainly not a traditionally competitive field, particularly because the low salary (often not much more than 80K after residency) and government position are distasteful to many. Nor does it offer a terrific lifestyle (lots of call, many night and weekend cases for obvious reasons.) My only explanation is perceived glamour, much like what ER did for its namesake specialty.

Thoughts?

Mindy

First, they are not my "friends". They are classmates.

Second, only two talk about forensics. Two to three of them are interested in going into investigative (research) programs.

Yeah, in my school, out of a class of 203 we had 8 students go into path this year. Last year it was 10. Usually we have 1 or 2. And just like has been mentioned here, some of the brightest and best in my class chose to go into path. It's a good thing I got in while I still could!

If I may throw in my 2.5 cents...

I think the recent increase in Pathology is due to more than just "love" of the field and flexibility in doing research. You would have to presume that alot of the "new" followers are in it for the life style, insurance, and other related benefits. Is it a mere coincidence the "life style" specialties are seeing a boom whereas the others are taking a hit?

Speaking for the IMG contention, the majority of the IMG "space-fillers" (as it was termed earlier) are foreign trained-non US citizen IMG's with a great number from India and China. From my encounters, many US citizen IMG's still want the pt contact and do not prefer Path. The other subtype however like it especially if language poses a barrier and pt contact would be problematic for them.

Regardless, I am going to throw my hat in the ring and see what happens... Best of luck us the "baby-matchers" :)

GD

I know there's no way to tell specifically, but generally how long do these cycles last? When was the last time that Pathology was really popular and therefore a competitive residency?