How is the job market for new dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the job market for new dentists? Is it as easy as the MD/DO job market. I am trying to get into medical school, but dental school is my plan B. I know many of you are going to jump on me for having dental school as my plan B. I feel like I can be happy as a dentist as well. I already have a career in the medical field as an RN; I just wanna move up the ladder and I feel medical or dental can be both good fit for me. Nurse Practitioner is not an option for me. Don't suggest it !

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you can't get into a DO school, you probably won't get into a dental school either. With that said, I'd recommend looking into being a nurse practitioner. Oh whoops, you didn't want me to say that? Sorry.

The job market is currently terrible. I am aware that a lot of new grads are applying to residency programs to hide. My residency director and my friend's both stated that they had the best candidates ever.

It is definitely harder to find a job than MD/DO. One position I looked into in WA had 55 people applying for one community dental position. This has never happened before. Usually, those positions are unpopular and community health struggle to recruit dentists.

Well, if you want to see if dentistry is a suitable career for you, consider shadowing some dentists beforehand. You may find that you prefer this career in any case, but it will be a big difference from RN/MD/DO. However, do not just do it because it sounded better as one of my classmates found that out the hard way - he quit after 2nd year of dent and 90K in debt. He was a premed who only got into dent and pharm. He made the mistake and now is doing pharm and re-applying to med.

How is the job market for new dentists? Is it as easy as the MD/DO job market. I am trying to get into medical school, but dental school is my plan B. I know many of you are going to jump on me for having dental school as my plan B. I feel like I can be happy as a dentist as well. I already have a career in the medical field as an RN; I just wanna move up the ladder and I feel medical or dental can be both good fit for me. Nurse Practitioner is not an option for me. Don't suggest it !

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you can't get into a DO school, you probably won't get into a dental school either. With that said, I'd recommend looking into being a nurse practitioner. Oh whoops, you didn't want me to say that? Sorry.

What do you mean? If I can't get into DO schools, I will not probably get into dental school. Are you talking about stats? My stats are 3.2cGPA and 3.5 BCMP and 27P MCAT, I have not take taken the DAT yet; however, I am shooting for a 20+. Will I be competitive if I got 20+ in the DAT with my current GPAs. By the way, I am an URM and I have heard being an URM helps sometimes.

from what I,ve heard, getting into A med or DO school is easier than getting into a dental school. Do you know how many medical schools and Do programs are there?
so, my point is don't change your mind just because the perception is that getting into dental school is easier than medical school. With your stats you can get into places like Mercer medical school in Georgia or some foreign ones.

The problem is, your profile screams PREMED! How do you wanna convince dental schools that you like dentistry more than anything else?

Besides, in the job market, those who really love dentistry are motivated, willing to work hard and will be creative in their field. How do you want to compete with them if you don't like what you are doing?

I have two cousins who went to med school because of the "prestige" and their parents. Guess what, they both dropped out. Can you suck it up for your whole life? Think about it

from what I,ve heard, getting into A med or DO school is easier than getting into a dental school. Do you know how many medical schools and Do programs are there?
so, my point is don't change your mind just because the perception is that getting into dental school is easier than medical school. With your stats you can get into places like Mercer medical school in Georgia or some foreign ones.

The problem is, your profile screams PREMED! How do you wanna convince dental schools that you like dentistry more than anything else?

Besides, in the job market, those who really love dentistry are motivated, willing to work hard and will be creative in their field. How do you want to compete with them if you don't like what you are doing?

I have two cousins who went to med school because of the "prestige" and their parents. Guess what, they both dropped out. Can you suck it up for your whole life? Think about it
I will shadow a gen dentist so i can get the "feel" of what dentists do. If I like it, dental school will remain my plan B. I will not go to foreign med school.Thanks for your help guys/girls.

What do you mean? If I can't get into DO schools, I will not probably get into dental school. Are you talking about stats? My stats are 3.2cGPA and 3.5 BCMP and 27P MCAT, I have not take taken the DAT yet; however, I am shooting for a 20+. Will I be competitive if I got 20+ in the DAT with my current GPAs. By the way, I am an URM and I have heard being an URM helps sometimes.
URM definitely helps. Especially when you play it up in your application.

You definitely need a solid DAT score to help with your subpar GPA.

A DO school will more than likely let you in if you apply to the right ones.

URM definitely helps. Especially when you play it up in your application.

You definitely need a solid DAT score to help with your subpar GPA.

A DO school will more than likely let you in if you apply to the right ones.
Will a 20 DAT suffice to compensate my subpar cGPA?

Will a 20 DAT suffice to compensate my subpar cGPA?

No one knows whether a 20 will be good enough or not. The truth is, if you want medicine, go to medical school... do what it takes. Dental schools are tough to get into, and getting harder. In my opinion it's more difficult to get into dental school than an osteopathic medical school. With that said, dental school wouldn't be a good "plan B" and moreover, dental school admissions committees aren't going to be too excited about your switch after not getting into medical school.