laborist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keithslc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what the typical salary and hours of a laborist are. Also what peoples opinion's regarding how laborist might hinder or improve an ob-gyn practice. It is my understanding that a signifigant part of an ob-gyn revenue is derived from deliveries, since this would be mostly taken away would that leave time for the non laborist ob-gyn doctor to make more money by other means possibly? Or would that equate to a non-laborist Ob-gyn making less by this reduction in deliveries. I can only find one quote of a laborist salary by google and it doesnt show hours worked. Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard some of the residents at the program where I was rotating talking about those positions. This is of course antedotal, but she said the salary was around 200K for eight 24 hour shifts per month. Also, the laborist doesn't necessarily deliver patients...hence eliminating the revenue concearn...these are people hired by private hospitals to sort of function as a glorified resident...admitting the patient, managing them while they are in labor, handling the triage and no-doc patients, and delivering patients when their doctor can't make it to the hospital. I think it is a perk for the private OB's because it is less work for them and their patients have a physician in house 24hours a day, just like at a teaching hospital.