How is the UIC Rockford campus? potential pharmacy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozeefus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got news today that I was accepted to the pharmacy program at Rockford and wait listed for the Chicago campus.

I'm disappointed that I did not get into my #1 choice and I am just curious about the campus. This is the first year they are opening the campus for pharmacy students and I would like to hear your honest opinions, as medical students.

The websites for the Rockford campus do not provide much info and many just lead to dead links

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I have toured the medical campus. It sits on a wooded hill. The College of Medicine addition is opening in August, with new classroom space for Pharmacy students, a new 100 seat classroom for Medical students, numerous small breakout rooms, a new library with a 25/7 information commons, a 50-seat computer lab open to all students, and a new student lounge area with lockers. There are also showers in case you'd like to ride your bike to school and clean up before sitting close to other people. Students are responsible for securing their own housing. Some students live in houses in the neighborhood (right behind the campus), others live in apartment complexes farther east of the campus. This is a city in which it is largely essential to have access to your own or a friend's car in order to get to grocery stores, shopping, entertainment. Public transportation (buses) run irregularly and there is no subway system. The area around the school is residential and pretty safe, especially considering the Chicago campus alternative. Cost of living is less than Chicago. While it is not Chicago, there is an outstanding YMCA, outdoor bike/running paths, numerous sports leagues (softball, basketball) that students participate in, 2 indoor ice arenas, couple semi-pro teams (eg. ice hockey), local theater, nationally-known Japanese garden, local state park (great hiking), plus Madison and Milwaukee and Chicago are all within driving distance. And you can drive to almost anywhere in town in 15-20 minutes. And find parking. It is considered a great place for families and kids, and there are community groups of young professionals that allow you to network and socialize with individuals closer to your own age.

Congrats!

I have toured the medical campus. It sits on a wooded hill. The College of Medicine addition is opening in August, with new classroom space for Pharmacy students, a new 100 seat classroom for Medical students, numerous small breakout rooms, a new library with a 25/7 information commons, a 50-seat computer lab open to all students, and a new student lounge area with lockers. There are also showers in case you'd like to ride your bike to school and clean up before sitting close to other people. Students are responsible for securing their own housing. Some students live in houses in the neighborhood (right behind the campus), others live in apartment complexes farther east of the campus. This is a city in which it is largely essential to have access to your own or a friend's car in order to get to grocery stores, shopping, entertainment. Public transportation (buses) run irregularly and there is no subway system. The area around the school is residential and pretty safe, especially considering the Chicago campus alternative. Cost of living is less than Chicago. While it is not Chicago, there is an outstanding YMCA, outdoor bike/running paths, numerous sports leagues (softball, basketball) that students participate in, 2 indoor ice arenas, couple semi-pro teams (eg. ice hockey), local theater, nationally-known Japanese garden, local state park (great hiking), plus Madison and Milwaukee and Chicago are all within driving distance. And you can drive to almost anywhere in town in 15-20 minutes. And find parking. It is considered a great place for families and kids, and there are community groups of young professionals that allow you to network and socialize with individuals closer to your own age.

University Of Illinois College Of Medicine At Rockford: PATHOLOGY
1601 Parkview Avenue
Rockford, IL 61107-1897
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...992,-89.054934&spn=0.003151,0.008256&t=h&z=18

How are the facilities? Have you been to UIC chicago and if so, how do the facilities compare?

What are the usual living spots for students? From Google maps, it seems the area is surrounded by residential housing rather than apartments. I really can't say though, since it's just google maps. I plan on visiting during the summer to check out the area

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the small houses by the school are rented by four med students each. Since they all attend the Urbana campus for year one, they get to know each other there before transferring to Rockford. I don't know that Pharmacy students will have a chance to meet before class begins, but it would be a good idea if they'd make that possible.

I have not seen the new addition to the Rockford campus since it was a hole in the ground. I've seen the Chicago campus where med students have their lectures and it's a bit more *cough*vintage*cough* than most of the Rockford campus which is not new (I'm guessing 40-ish years old). I don't know where Pharmacy students have class in Chicago, but I thought they had their own building.

I also got in Rockford campus instead of chicago.

I am having trouble to decide where to live or know how the town is like.

But I am glad that I met one of my class mates. :)

Congrats !

I also got in Rockford campus instead of chicago.

I am having trouble to decide where to live or know how the town is like.

But I am glad that I met one of my class mates. :)

Congrats !

:) Congrats to you as well. I plan on visiting the area once my last semester is over with. From my understanding, you definitely need a car and public transportation is unreliable. And everything is 15 minutes away from downtown.:laugh:

I am hoping that with 50 students, we get more options as far as our rotation sites go. I believe there are 3-4 hospitals nearby?