how is University of Tennessee/Methodist Healthcare Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one has idea about this program? I got an invitation from this program, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

any one has idea about this program? Thanks

I am actually a transitional in Memphis now and will be starting my residency there next year. Several years back the UT memphis and Methodist programs merged. The UT program was poor, mainly due to underfunding and this left a black mark on our program now. The thought was Methodist has great training but was only a community program and that joining an academic institution would improve our image. However, it is taking time for our reputation to catch up with reality. To compound things, we ranked too few appicants last year and had to scramble several positions--for instance I know of a very good applicant who ranked us first but ended up matching elsewhere---therefore UT Memphis/Methodist apparently didnt have him on their list. With all of that said--I loved this program, I ranked it second and have been happy with my match. The negative of this program are primarily the fact that it is in Memphis which has a very bad reputation. I am from the area and actually really enjoy the city and location was actually a plus for me. I ranked it highly due to the teaching, pathology, cool residents, and reputation for producing graduates who are competent in VIR and have exposure to both academics and private practice. Also, excellent food and music

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at (then - 2002) both Methodist and UT Memphis.
Methodist seemed to be a great community based program with happy and well trained residents. At the time they did not have full PACS, but I imagine that that has totally changed. UT Memphis was offering an integrated IR track which I was interested in. I know they (UT-M) have a strong neurosurgery program, so that should bring in many great Neuroradiology cases.

I think you can't go wrong with that program, and now that the programs have merged that means the class size is larger which is a great benefit from a recalls and call stand point (See the sticky FAQs). Also, I think they have an affiliation with LeBonnheur (sp?) childrens hospital, so you will have a great peds experience. I can't comment on equipment or other subspecialty areas, because I just don't know how they are NOW, but I think its a solid program.

Ultimately I matched at a program higher on my rank list, but I would have been happy if I had matched there

Good luck!
Hans

PS Memphis has great BBQ and Blues!

thanks guys for your kind reply. Good luck all.

Is the intern yr included if you match at UT Methodist?

Glad to see some input on this program. I interviewed here in November and was very happy it. Seemed solid all around with happy residents and committed attendings.

While the number of residents has increased (due to the merger) they are currently not utilizing all of their spots due to economics in the hosptial. Funding for one of the Rads spots is going elsewhere in the hospital at the choice of the PD. In addition to perhaps making call easier it is also neccessary to look at where the residents are oncall. They take call at Methodist and at the County hospital (in addition to children's and the VA but these are rotation specific). From what I gathered call was pretty substantial and fairly busy. The county hosptial provides most of the trauma and there is a lot of it. Granted this time tapers in to PGY5. Overall, I got the impression that volume and call time here was average.

There is dedicated conference time in some cases 2x a day. Good teaching commitment from a community/academic hybrid program. Fellowship placement was excellent.

From what I hear the intern year is pretty nice.

comments/corrections welcomed (particularly before Feb 21st)