How late am I now? Need help with application date/ timelines!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to apply now on AADSAS and I have no idea how the timeline works. Could anyone help me go through these questions I have?

-If a school has a deadline by December 31st, when do I have to submit my application by? Is it on December 31st or a few weeks before?

-Do I need to ask my professors for LORs asap?

-What do we do with transcripts? How long does that take? Do I need to send in an official transcript somewhere? (I am putting in my own grades)

-What other timeline/ deadlines do I need to be aware of at this point if I am trying to apply asap?

Thank you guys, I really need these clarifications atm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.. I was planning to apply next cycle but I was wondering if I did now how late I would be/ other questions
Very late. Don't waste the money and it seems like you aren't fully prepared either based on what you said about LoR. You have to give them time to write it and then your DAT needs to be processed and all that can at minimum take a month. You'd be turning your app in mid october best case scenario and that's super late. Just wait next June.

Reactions: 1 user
By the time you got all aspects of your application together, were verified, and had your application sent out it would likely be October at best...I wouldn't try to apply this cycle. The deadlines schools give are just that - the very latest date they will even accept an application. The majority of applicants have sent their application in well before then, and rolling admissions realistically means most seats will be filled before you even get an interview.

I would strongly suggest getting your application together for next cycle and applying early then instead.

By the time you got all aspects of your application together, were verified, and had your application sent out it would likely be October at best...I wouldn't try to apply this cycle. The deadlines schools give are just that - the very latest date they will even accept an application. The majority of applicants have sent their application in well before then, and rolling admissions realistically means most seats will be filled before you even get an interview.

I would strongly suggest getting your application together for next cycle and applying early then instead.
Very late. Don't waste the money and it seems like you aren't fully prepared either based on what you said about LoR. You have to give them time to write it and then your DAT needs to be processed and all that can at minimum take a month. You'd be turning your app in mid october best case scenario and that's super late. Just wait next June.

Thanks for your replies

So technically I can submit by December 31st on the aadsas application? I read somewhere that the schools will get my application in 3-4 weeks after I submit it. So does that mean I must submit it 3-4 weeks before the deadline? Or they just mean IF I submit it dec 31st, they will get it around end of January and that is still considered in?

What does it mean to get everything verified?

I took my DAT and the official scores are uploaded on the Ada.org website. Is this what you mean?

Does it look bad to adcoms if I give it a shot this cycle and then again next cycle if I don't get in?

Hey,
I just read thru everything here. I know you are frustrated. I understand that everyone wants to get in asap, but applying this year will for sure get you nowhere. Just save your money for the next cycle.
I will answer your questions now.
1. Yes. You can submit by 12/31. Uhm you should not wait until 3-4 weeks before the deadline. But still, your chance of getting an interview would still be very low.
2. After sending your official transcripts, DAT scores, lors ect to the applying website, they will get verified by the website before they send your stuff out to your selected schools. It will take a few weeks. Sometimes when they find something wrong/missing, you have to fix it and they will start over the verifying process. I submitted my application early July, after 2 weeks they found a missing class I took at a college back in high school so i had to request a transcript from that college (took me 4 days) then they started verifying my application again. They finished by mid August. So no, it's not just your DATs, but everything you submit will get verified.
3. Idk if it looks bad. But if you apply again, you have to explain why you didnt get accepted and what have you done to improve yourself.

I could've applied in 2015, but I was just like you. So i waited until 2016 and now im in dental school.
My twin brother. He couldn't wait so he applied in august 2015, then stuff happened. (We had the same stats) he didn't get in. He applied again w me. Still didn't get in. So we retook his DAT and applied again july 2017. He is still waiting for an interview.

Just my story my life experience. May be you're luckier than my brother or may be not. Who knows? You know yourself best, but this is really really really really late already

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your replies

So technically I can submit by December 31st on the aadsas application? I read somewhere that the schools will get my application in 3-4 weeks after I submit it. So does that mean I must submit it 3-4 weeks before the deadline? Or they just mean IF I submit it dec 31st, they will get it around end of January and that is still considered in?

What does it mean to get everything verified?

I took my DAT and the official scores are uploaded on the Ada.org website. Is this what you mean?

Does it look bad to adcoms if I give it a shot this cycle and then again next cycle if I don't get in?
Deadlines mean jack****. Just wait until next cycle you're really hoping here. This is the best advice you're gonna get.

If you're a 4.0 25AA, then maybe if you rush. Otherwise save your money

I applied on 11/14 and got into 3 schools, but that was the 2008/2009 cycle ... I was planning on applying the next cycle, but I aced the DAT and thought what the heck, might as well try. At this point, most schools do their interviews earlier, and so at best you'd be hoping for would be on some of the last rounds of interviews. You can try applying, the worst they'd say is no, and you'd be out the application fees if you've got the extra cash to spend. If you've got an extra 500 bucks in your bank account you wouldn't mind blowing, then it might save a year of your academic career.

For LOR's, you've got to at least give the writers two weeks, anything less would be pretty rude.

I agree with many others here. I would not risk it or waste money. Just be ready for next years cycle, and apply in June.

I applied on 11/14 and got into 3 schools, but that was the 2008/2009 cycle ... I was planning on applying the next cycle, but I aced the DAT and thought what the heck, might as well try. At this point, most schools do their interviews earlier, and so at best you'd be hoping for would be on some of the last rounds of interviews. You can try applying, the worst they'd say is no, and you'd be out the application fees if you've got the extra cash to spend. If you've got an extra 500 bucks in your bank account you wouldn't mind blowing, then it might save a year of your academic career.

For LOR's, you've got to at least give the writers two weeks, anything less would be pretty rude.
It's waaaaay more than 500 bucks amigo. This ain't 2008 lol.

What are they charging you guys per school? For me it was like 75 for AADSAS and 40-50 DAT for each school, plus secondaries
It's like $240ish for the first school and $99 for each subsequent one on AADSAS. That and an average secondary fee of ~$70 (for the schools I chose) added up quickly! :/

It's like $240ish for the first school and $99 for each subsequent one on AADSAS. That and an average secondary fee of ~$70 (for the schools I chose) added up quickly! :/
Hmm.. that is bringing back some memories, I applied to 23 schools, haha, I think it was nearly 2k by the end of it. It's a total scam how much they gouge you, haha.

Last edited:
I am trying to apply now on AADSAS and I have no idea how the timeline works. Could anyone help me go through these questions I have?

-If a school has a deadline by December 31st, when do I have to submit my application by? Is it on December 31st or a few weeks before?

-Do I need to ask my professors for LORs asap?

-What do we do with transcripts? How long does that take? Do I need to send in an official transcript somewhere? (I am putting in my own grades)

-What other timeline/ deadlines do I need to be aware of at this point if I am trying to apply asap?

Thank you guys, I really need these clarifications atm

The majority of people will tell you to wait a year but if you're seriously competitive for schools that "score" students regardless of when they apply and are still sending out interview invites, I say go from it. Save yourself that gap year.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm.. that is bringing back some memories, I applied to 23 schools, haha, I think it was nearly 2k by the end of it. It's a total scam how much they gouge you, haha.
I applied to only 12 schools last cycle and it was around $2k for aadsas + secondary fees.

Deadlines mean jack****. Just wait until next cycle you're really hoping here. This is the best advice you're gonna get.
I could not disagree more. While the chances of getting in are decreased by applying later, it is not an automatic denial. I applied to PENN 30 minutes before the deadline and interviewed there. Why would a school have a deadline but deny people that apply close to that deadline?

Reactions: 3 users