How Late is too Late for SMP applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed all of my SMP applications however, I am still waiting on a last LOR from a professor who is away at a conference for the weekend, he will be uploading the letter to interfolio by the end of next week. Then of course I have to send said letter to all of the schools. I will be submitting all of the applications this Friday and then mailing the letter as soon as its available. I am worried that I am applying too late and am significantly hampering my chances. While I do have a strong MCAT (37) my GPA is a 3.17 and am worried that I have not applied early enough to overcome this barrier. Does anyone have any input on whether or not I shot myself in the foot for this cycle and have to wait another year?

PS my top choice is BU MAMS, followed by Cinci and EVMS.

Members don't see this ad.

With that MCAT I don't think you should worry, particularly with BU as your top choice. BU isn't all that selective.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the Reply, the reason I am choosing BU is because I plan on applying after I have a year of grades to boost my application and I can spend that second year working on my thesis/applications. Additionally they have the option for a concentration in clinical investigation which I find appealing.

Also, Dr. Midlife thanks so much for your dedication to this board. I was hopeless a year ago and the discovery of SMP programs through your posts gave me the confidence I needed to turn things around and succeed on the MCAT and get on the deans list for my two semesters of undergrad. Hopefully it pays off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the Reply, the reason I am choosing BU is because I plan on applying after I have a year of grades to boost my application and I can spend that second year working on my thesis/applications. Additionally they have the option for a concentration in clinical investigation which I find appealing.
Yeah, I'm not casting aspersions on the program, just saying it shouldn't be that hard to get accepted. BUMAMS gets people into med school. It's legit, period.
Also, Dr. Midlife thanks so much for your dedication to this board. I was hopeless a year ago and the discovery of SMP programs through your posts gave me the confidence I needed to turn things around and succeed on the MCAT and get on the deans list for my two semesters of undergrad. Hopefully it pays off!
Congrats, thanks for saying so, and I'm happy to be of service.

With that MCAT I don't think you should worry, particularly with BU as your top choice. BU isn't all that selective.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Dr. Midlife! Thanks for giving sound advice on my other post about SMPs. If I do end up applying to all these SMPs, I'm also worried that my chances are hampered just because my app won't be reviewed until the end of April when my first MCAT score is released. Do you have any insights on this? Also, what do you "exactly" mean by "BU isn't all that selective"? Any stats?

Hi Dr. Midlife! Thanks for giving sound advice on my other post about SMPs. If I do end up applying to all these SMPs, I'm also worried that my chances are hampered just because my app won't be reviewed until the end of April when my first MCAT score is released. Do you have any insights on this? Also, what do you "exactly" mean by "BU isn't all that selective"? Any stats?

All the info you need is here. You just have to read it. Please don't look for people to figure this out for you - that's a good way to make mistakes from bad guidance.

For reference, I invested about 1000 hours reading the advice of others before I started at EVMS. You should invest at least 10 before you ask more questions.

Best of luck to you.