How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkosp2451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I will be finishing up my DIY post-bacc in the spring/early summer 2014. I am planning on taking MCATs at the end of the summer (late august), and originally planning to use up the next year to prepare LORs, do a little bit more research and polish my application. However, I'm thinking that if I do well on my MCATs (assuming I wouldnt get the scores back until mid/end of sept), I may apply for the next cycle. If I have everything else prepared by that point, do you think september is too late to send applications? Ideally, I would love to finish applications by June/July. However, I also don't want to send in applications without an MCAT score - I believe this is extremely risky.

Here's a little synopsis of me:
Undergrad GPA approximately 2.5, undergrad sGPA approximately 2.1
Post-bacc (Bio/Physics/Orgo/Chem, in addition to genetics/biochem/microbio and some general stats/intro psych/intro soc) - cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.9
EC's - EMT for 2 years with both work/volunteer experience

I know that undergrad GPA is what's gonna keep me back, but hopefully the grade replacement makes up for it. Will I be screwing myself over applying in september? I know that's very late, so is it even worth it?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The DO app cycle is much longer than that for MD schools. If you can complete your secondaries even as late as November, you'll still be in the running.

Hi Everyone,

I will be finishing up my DIY post-bacc in the spring/early summer 2014. I am planning on taking MCATs at the end of the summer (late august), and originally planning to use up the next year to prepare LORs, do a little bit more research and polish my application. However, I'm thinking that if I do well on my MCATs (assuming I wouldnt get the scores back until mid/end of sept), I may apply for the next cycle. If I have everything else prepared by that point, do you think september is too late to send applications? Ideally, I would love to finish applications by June/July. However, I also don't want to send in applications without an MCAT score - I believe this is extremely risky.

Post-bacc (Bio/Physics/Orgo/Chem, in addition to genetics/biochem/microbio and some general stats/intro psych/intro soc) - cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.9
EC's - Critical care EMT for 2 years with both work/volunteer experience, work as a EKG tech at a hospital (approx 6-8 months, currently still employed), shadowed 3 MD's and in the process of beginning to shadow a DO, mental health internship, 2 overseas medical trips to underpriviledged countries, community service organization, president for 2 years of volunteer ambulance company

I know that undergrad GPA is what's gonna keep me back, but hopefully the grade replacement makes up for it. Will I be screwing myself over applying in september? I know that's very late, so is it even worth it?

Thank you!!

The DO app cycle is much longer than that for MD schools. If you can complete your secondaries even as late as November, you'll still be in the running.

Goro, you are always so helpful with my questions! Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculate your combined gpa w/ the postbac and take into account retakes. If they are both sub-3.0 still..i would take more courses and wait if I were you. If not, apply!

Calculate your combined gpa w/ the postbac and take into account retakes. If they are both sub-3.0 still..i would take more courses and wait if I were you. If not, apply!
I agree, although personally I would pull the gpa's to at least a 3.3

Hi Everyone,

EC's - Critical care EMT for 2 years with both work/volunteer experience, work as a EKG tech at a hospital (approx 6-8 months, currently still employed), shadowed 3 MD's and in the process of beginning to shadow a DO, mental health internship, 2 overseas medical trips to underpriviledged countries, community service organization, president for 2 years of volunteer ambulance company

Thank you!!

My undergrad stats are way better, but otherwise I was very similar as far as timing (Aug. MCAT). I was accepted over a month ago to my first school. Just have your secondaries prewritten and you'll get in (assuming competitive MCAT).

My undergrad stats are way better, but otherwise I was very similar as far as timing (Aug. MCAT). I was accepted over a month ago to my first school. Just have your secondaries prewritten and you'll get in (assuming competitive MCAT).

Good to hear. Did you submit your primary in June or July to get verified? If so did you have it sent to all schools you planned on applying to or did you wait until you got your MCAT score?

Good to hear. Did you submit your primary in June or July to get verified? If so did you have it sent to all schools you planned on applying to or did you wait until you got your MCAT score?

Submitted my primary at the end of June. Had it sent to all schools right away, otherwise you have to pay a extra fee to add schools.

Submitted my primary at the end of June. Had it sent to all schools right away, otherwise you have to pay a extra fee to add schools.

Okay. I have thought about doing that. Was it risky not knowing what your MCAT is or where you just pretty confident that you would have a competitive score? Also, did you receive any secondaries before your score was in? Thanks for the advice.

Okay. I have thought about doing that. Was it risky not knowing what your MCAT is or where you just pretty confident that you would have a competitive score? Also, did you receive any secondaries before your score was in? Thanks for the advice.

I was retaking so I did receive a few secondaries, but no interview invites until my score was released. I regret applying to so many schools as I wasn't anticipating such a high MCAT score.

Thanks for the advice! Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I think I may be confused as to how this works. I thought that with DO, they calculate your GPA with grade replacement, although they are able to see your original grades of course. Is there another GPA calculation method they use? Sorry for all the questions, I'm relatively new to this!