How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLH1317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok My science GPA is 3.0, and my accumulative GPA is 3.3. I have excellent extracurricular activities, I work a full time job. However I have to retake my MCAT in August because I got a 15 the last time I took them. Therefore I will be receiving my results in September. The big question is: Is September too late for me to be applying? .........Please Help.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think you should apply this year. Your GPA is weak and it's unlikely your MCAT will go up into the 30+ range.

You'll want to take several undergraduate Science courses, get As in them and score 30+ on the MCAT (no section below 9). If you're graduating soon, my advice is take undergrad Science courses at a local University and get As in them.

If you take a couple courses this Summer and at least three in the Fall and Spring, you might be ready to apply next year (if your MCATs are up). There are also options relating to Osteopathic medicine, which is not as selective. You need a recommendation from an Osteopathic Physician, though.

Don't waste your time and money applying this year.

September is a bit late for anyone to apply, especially with a gpa less than 3.6. I would consider applying next year when you know your MCAT score and have the opportunity to apply as early as possible.