how late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chic4rm714

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

for schools with rolling admissions, they always recommend applying early.
but things come up, and not everyone is able to submit applications on the first day of the application cycle.
so, just trying to get an idea...for those of you who submitted applications (for past and present cycles) later in the admissions cycle, AND got accepted:

when did you apply?
how long did it take for schools to respond?
in your serious opinion, how "awesome" of a candidate were you?

Thanks, in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey chic4rm714!

Yes, it IS highly recommended to apply early especially if you're applying to a school with rolling apps. I applied to NSUOCO, UIWSO, and UHCO this year. My first choice was NSUOCO, and their deadline was February 1st. I submitted my application around 11 pm on January 31st. Also, UHCO's deadline was February 15th, and UIWSO's is May 1st. So yes, I was a late applicant!

We all have our reasons for not turning in our applications on the first day or so. For me, I was a little intimidated to apply this year. I kinda felt my stats were subpar (which I'll discuss in a little bit), and I'm also a third year undergrad student (although I'll be done with my Bachelor's this May). I was always under the impression that third year applicants had to be absolutely phenomenal in order to be accepted. Admittedly, if my parents didn't push me to apply this year, I wouldn't have. :X

Fortunately, OptomCAS was able to calculate my GPA (props to express mail!) and send out my application to my schools around February 4th. However, once you submit your application, the schools which you designate can see your application online. NSUOCO got back with me promptly and sent an email for an interview invite on February 5th. The 2 other schools sent me an email invite the week after. By the time I had my interview, 18 out of the 28 spots at NSUOCO were filled. I heard my acceptance the Monday after I had my interview :soexcited:

Honestly, I don't think I was a stellar applicant, nor would I say I'm a 'bad' applicant. But I do think I had some factors that helped my case. I got a 310 TS/320 AA on the OAT, and I have a 3.54 GPA. I also probably shadowed different optometrists for about 40 hours, and I haven't had experience as an optometric tech (though I am looking for that kinda job). I think a couple of things that helped my case were my community service/volunteering experience and the fact that I kept in close touch with the school (NSUOCO) since my freshman year. I would just email them once in a while to ask about classes, optometrists that graduated from NSUOCO who are now in my area, etc.

Will you be applying this upcoming cycle (2011 entering class)? You still have quite a bit of time! However, I would recommend filling out your OptomCAS app ASAP; inputting your grades can take quite a while! You may also want to get your rec letter writers ready. Other than that, keep shadowing, get good grades and OAT (if you haven't yet), and GOOD LUCK! :D