how long can you wait to pay deposit once you get an admission letter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k3nshin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a time limit?? as in say college A offers you admission, do they give you a timeframe when you have to pay the deposit to confirm your admission or else you lose your chance??

This is a general question not in particular to any college, but any specific input is also appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Yes,I think they do mention a time frame within which you are supposed to confirm your admission.Sorry cant give anything specific.

In Colorado they gave us about a week, wehad an option to send a check later as long as we confirmed by e-mail, because regular mail takes longer then a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU was about 2 weeks I believe for the early interviewees. I would assume it would have been shorter for the later ones towards the end of interview cycle.

In the event i have "confirmed admission" by paying a deposit, I can still switch college later if I get admission elsewhere in a place of preference at the cost of losing the deposit right? Is there a legal binding to the confirmation??

Wanted to know especially for boston/ucla/upenn/usc/mich/minn

In the event i have "confirmed admission" by paying a deposit, I can still switch college later if I get admission elsewhere in a place of preference at the cost of losing the deposit right? Is there a legal binding to the confirmation??

Wanted to know especially for boston/ucla/upenn/usc/mich/minn

The deposit is normally adjusted towards the tuition fee of the first year.In case you decide to switch,they will happily keep your deposit and give that seat to someone else.No legal binding as far as I know.