How long does it take places to process rec letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bartelby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several of the schools I have applied to still have "letters not received" as the reason my application is incomplete, even though interfolio says the letters were shipped anywhere from 1-2 weeks ago depending on the school. I am not too worried about it as I am guessing schools just take a while to acknowledge that they have received letters, but for anyone else out there about how long has it taken schools to say letters have been received? Also, I have been marking "committee packet" from my school as the letter type even though it is a bunch of individual letters through interfolio (including a prehealth advisor letter). Could this be causing a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Several of the schools I have applied to still have "letters not received" as the reason my application is incomplete, even though interfolio says the letters were shipped anywhere from 1-2 weeks ago depending on the school. I am not too worried about it as I am guessing schools just take a while to acknowledge that they have received letters, but for anyone else out there about how long has it taken schools to say letters have been received? Also, I have been marking "committee packet" from my school as the letter type even though it is a bunch of individual letters through interfolio (including a prehealth advisor letter). Could this be causing a problem?

I'm hoping you included your AAMC ID with your packet otherwise it might take longer to process. Also, while they may have technically received your letters, it takes some time for the letters to be tied with the rest of your application. I just e-mailed the school and told them that Interfolio said my letters where received and asked if I screwed anything up. It takes time for the changes to actually propagate through the system and show up on your status page. With schools averaging 3000+ applications, letters are going to get lost very easily.

So call/e-mail them, play dumb, and they might process your letters right then and there. ;)

I've seen it take as little as two days, to a week. Boston takes the longest (a couple of weeks), because they said they're using a new system. Or perhaps by now it's up and running. Some schools only download LORs once a week.

If you're concerned, I would call each school about a week and a half after your submit your secondary (if you submitted online). One school I talked to did have my composite letter, but just had mis-entered it. The others all had my LORs, but said that it would be awhile until they were logged in and show up as received on my status page.

As for the interfolio issue - I have no idea. Good luck.

For me, NYU and USC both completed my application about a week after I sent in my LORs.

However, I sent in my LORs to Cornell nearly 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't acknowledged their receipt.

I suspect that, at least on the part of USC (South Carolina, not California), there is a smaller number of applicants, so it's easier to process them right away. NYU might be the same way right now, since I didn't even take 24 hours to turn that secondary around. I remember reading a lot of threads last year about AECOM being slow to process applications (especially cashing the check), so I'm not expecting too much from them, but I'll call Wednesday to check on my status anyway.