How long does it take to become a podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tropicaldoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am asking because I am a 29 year old married woman, still taking my pre-reqs, and I would like to start a family before it is too late. Do podiatrists have to join fellowships? How long is the residency? How much is the salary at entry level? How hard it is to go private?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It takes only 4 years to become a podiatrist but it can take a lifetime to get into a residency program. Without surgical training you will likely struggle in practice and possibly never break even. It is extremely difficult to go into private practice without residency training. Being married you may have better options than podiatry school. How about running your own daycare center? It pays more to be a nail technician than podiatry AND you don't have to keep any charts! Medicaid pays about 50 cents a patient for nail care; yet the same patient will pay at least $20 and up to $75 to have their nails done at a nice salon. Best of luck with your future endeavors and congratulations on being married. I wouldn't wait too much longer to have a family. Don't waste your best years pursuing podiatry when you could enjoy your life with your spouse and children. Why struggle?

Reactions: 1 user
It takes only 4 years to become a podiatrist but it can take a lifetime to get into a residency program. Without surgical training you will likely struggle in practice and possibly never break even. It is extremely difficult to go into private practice without residency training. Being married you may have better options than podiatry school. How about running your own daycare center? It pays more to be a nail technician than podiatry AND you don't have to keep any charts! Medicaid pays about 50 cents a patient for nail care; yet the same patient will pay at least $20 and up to $75 to have their nails done at a nice salon. Best of luck with your future endeavors and congratulations on being married. I wouldn't wait too much longer to have a family. Don't waste your best years pursuing podiatry when you could enjoy your life with your spouse and children. Why struggle?
Don't listen to this person.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go for the nail salon (cosmetic!!! People pay anything) or an associate degree on painting car, by the time I finished school and residency I would have my own business for several years. Maybe couple of nail salon locations and car painting places. Dealing with car insurance is easier than health insurances. Plus I'll be owing less money. Education is a investment think well what you want to do
FYI I love being a podiatrist, I'm doing at least 2 surgeries a week and planning to open my own office in couple of weeks

Last edited:
I go with the nail salon also (cosmetic!!! People pay anything) or a associate degree on painting car, by the time I finished school and residency I could have my own business for several years. Maybe couple of nail salon locations and car painting places. Dealing with car insurance is easier than health insurances. Plus I'll be owing less money.

:highfive:

Man, there's been a lot of brainpower in this thread.

Reactions: 1 user