How long does it take to study one chapter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaadboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it takes to study one chapter of a course

Members don't see this ad.

Let me rephrase that.....how long does it take to go over exam material

Members don't see this ad :)
u guys are **** *****s

tumblr_inline_mfb4nkuubu1r7j4bg.gif

....vaguest question ever. I don't even know where to begin. Is this micro/immuno/histo/biochem/neuro/path?!

And chapters vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are study units provided for us on Step 1 or should I memorize the normal values?

Are study units provided for us on Step 1 or should I memorize the normal values?

First aid has a mnemonic, chill. (just waiting for OP to ask how many study units it takes to memorize the mnemonic)

Haha, to seriously answer the question though:

I usually take between 1 hour to 1.5 hours studying written notes--this includes my own annotations, drawings, pathways, charts, etc.

Sometimes, if I need some more clarifications then it takes me an additional half hour. Add in another 45 minutes if I am making flash cards.

This amount does not include time devoted to watching video lectures.

Either way, you should just concern yourself with staying focused. The more laser-focus you have the quicker things will go.

I don't read chapters/books/ syllabus. Running strictly off slides, I have 4 lectures a day an hour each. After the lecture it takes any where from 30 minutes - 1.5 hours to learn the material depending on the subject and difficulty of course. As a general estimate 45 minutes per lecture outside of class.

Good lord I feel like this incoming class of M1s is going to piss me off so freaking much in the next few years.

Like the salmon of Capistrano, it happens every summer. The pre-meds flock in with dumb questions about pre-studying and strategizing and how many read-throughs of Harrison's are adequate.

And then come fall, they realize that they are working as hard as they possibly can and are still in the bottom half of the class so they freak out.

It's hilarious.

Like the salmon of Capistrano, it happens every summer. The pre-meds flock in with dumb questions about pre-studying and strategizing and how many read-throughs of Harrison's are adequate.

And then come fall, they realize that they are working as hard as they possibly can and are still in the bottom half of the class so they freak out.

It's hilarious.

1000x this. One of them bitched me out the other day for pointing out the same thing. Gave me the giggles.

It's hilarious.

haha yep. 50% of all med students have to be in the bottom half:thumbup:

1000x this. One of them bitched me out the other day for pointing out the same thing. Gave me the giggles.

Meh,
If they don't want to heed my advice, that's their loss. Considering burnout is a reality in Medical School, I'd rather not worry about anything until classes start. I've suffered burn out before and I won't ever do that again... ****ing Anatomy.

From what I notice; it seems like it's the most laid back person that gets the greatest grades and they don't stress out/gun about it. Which makes it awesome when the person tries to gunning for top grades and can't compare. The current classmate/friend is top of our class and probably top of the entire state. And he's the opposite of a gunner and so laid back.

First year -

Me "Hey, what's up"

Him - "Oh, I'm studying anatomy by the pool. Actually, I'm drinking beer while waving at girls. I don't think I'm gonna pass Anatomy"

First Exam - kills it. :laugh:

First year -

Me "Hey, what's up"

Him - "Oh, I'm studying anatomy by the pool. Actually, I'm drinking beer while waving at girls. I don't think I'm gonna pass Anatomy"

How can you not know about this variant of gunner? ::sigh::

Meh,
If they don't want to heed my advice, that's their loss. Considering burnout is a reality in Medical School, I'd rather not worry about anything until classes start. I've suffered burn out before and I won't ever do that again... ****ing Anatomy.

From what I notice; it seems like it's the most laid back person that gets the greatest grades and they don't stress out/gun about it. Which makes it awesome when the person tries to gunning for top grades and can't compare. The current classmate/friend is top of our class and probably top of the entire state. And he's the opposite of a gunner and so laid back.

First year -

Me "Hey, what's up"

as he sits in a secluded corner of the library with his netters and rohen open, filling out little sticky notes on each page

How can you not know about this variant of gunner? ::sigh::

Because I've studied with him millions of times. He spent a significantly less amount of time studying. I know a gunner when I see one. This guy is the antithesis.

as he sits in a secluded corner of the library with his netters and rohen open, filling out little sticky notes on each page

He does that when he studies. But a gunner falls under the same classification of a helpless, annoying, conniving, socially awkward douchebag.