How long does it take...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To become a pharmacist? I'm currently a high school student. How many years does it take to become one? What does being a pharmacist entail? Hours? Income?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school you go to and if you get your bachelor's first. The minimum amount of time you will spend in school is 5 to 6 years depending on if you go to an accelerated program or normal 4 year. There are 0-6 programs that are different than just going to undergrad and applying to pharmacy schools. As for what the job of a pharmacist entails, that's not so easy a question to answer since there is an immense number of different areas of practice one can go into. For the average community practice setting (Walgreens, CVS) a pharmacist right now is making between $105K to $120K depending on the area. Try searching the forums to find out all the different areas that pharmacists practice in and see which one interests you. Then, go about locating one that will allow you to shadow them to see if that is the area of practice you want to go into.

To become a pharmacist? I'm currently a high school student. How many years does it take to become one? What does being a pharmacist entail? Hours? Income?

Have you read the pharmacy FAQ stickied at the top of the forum?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059

Read this, and then if you have more questions, peruse the Pharmacy forum and do some searching.

I read in another thread of yours that you listed the income as being $80K - 100K, but I know from experience that most new grads entering retail are being offered over $100K/year ($120K in Northern VA). And that's just retail.

Pharmacy is a very versatile and dynamic profession. Good luck with your search!