How long should the lock down last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting studies immunologically but hard to say what they mean clinically. Does having heterologous immunity to covid make you immune? Give you a less severe course? Make you more reactive with a more ARDSy picture? Hard to say.
I agree, it's "Hard to say." Although, if I had to battle a new virus with either "heterologous immunity" or "nothing," I'd take my chances on fighting armed with the "maybe something" versus "nothing," at least until we know for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Just trying to give people the benefit of the doubt (we should all be more charitable in that respect).
You're probably right. I could do better in that respect. It's often too easy to fall back on meeting snark with snark.

Reactions: 1 user
A study that passes peer review is better than one that doesn't. A study that hasn't yet had the chance to pass peer review is better than speculation by people (including myself) on the internet. But it won't matter if this passes peer review, because you or someone else with have a quick way to reject it out of hand, like any study that doesn't confirm what they already believe. You guys have all these quick rejection statements ready to go.

"It hasn't passed peer review!"

Study passes peer review...

"It's only an observational study!"

New study with a stronger design...

"It's not enough patients!"

Larger study...

"It's not randomized double blind placebo controlled!"

Next one is randomized, double blinded and placebo controlled...

"It has too many confounders!"

New study with less confounders...

"Well, that's just BS!"

You guys have gotten so good at spitting these responses out, without even reading, analyzing or opening your mind to any piece of information that doesn't fit the conclusion you've already drawn.

Who is "you guys" referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it's "Hard to say." Although, if I had to battle a new virus with either "heterologous immunity" or "nothing," I'd take my chances on fighting armed with the "maybe something" versus "nothing," at least until we know for sure.

Do we know what this means in regards to vaccine development?

What about the studies I've posted on here before peer review, that have now passes peer review? Those are pointless, too? Have you gone back and checked which got published and didn't?

Well, they passed peer review. These have not yet. So how are we to know what will happen? Many studies have been retracted regarding this illness.

Man, all I can say - even if hospitalizations don’t lead to death rates as high as before due to treatment, this is still *immensely* expensive.

Young people should be distancing because they are ultimately going to pay for these hospitalizations in either their own premiums or in the national debt someday down the road ....

Reactions: 3 users
I think it’s important to remember that at the height of the NY epidemic in March we were only testing admitted patients who were seriously ill with COVID. That means that since we were only admitting roughly 10% of patients the true case numbers were at least 10x higher than were reported. So when we had 8,000 cases per day we likely had at least 80,000 cases per day in reality. This really helps explain why we’re not seeing massive numbers of deaths since it’s not anywhere as bad as it was back in NYC in March.

It’s funny how the media continues to harp on fear mongering headlines of “cases are still exploding” while deaths are not increasing.

Does anyone remember the absolutely WRONG prediction models that state policy officials were choosing to remain in lockdown for?

Example:

“Minnesota public health officials revealed some details Friday about their modeling projections for the coronavirus pandemic here, predicting that 22,000 Minnesotans would die despite social distancing measures that have been put in place.”

“The fourth scenario, which most closely reflects the extended stay-home order that Gov. Tim Walz has implemented, suggests a July 13 hospitalization peak requiring 3,700 intensive care beds.”

This is absolutely nuts on how wrong they were.

Minnesota locked down based on a model that predicted more daily deaths today in the state than there currently are IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

No one in the media has revisited or questioned it, though they cited it heavily back then.

Reactions: 1 users
I blame the economic damage heavily on the media scaring the crap out of people. Badly implemented lockdowns massively worsened the problem.
Due to media induced hysteria and subsequent citizen-absorbed panic, my town locked down needlessly in April/May when NY/NJ were getting slammed and we had no hint of any significant COVID-19 problem. Then, with the town at the brink of irreversible economic depression, the lockdown had to be lifted prior to our tourist season. Now, COVID cases are up 800% during our tourist season and any chance of a meaningful lockdown for this area has passed, due to sucking up the "OMG/ITALY/NY/NJ!" hysteria in April.

Last edited:
Due to media induced hysteria and subsequent citizen-absorbed panic, my town locked down needlessly in April/May when NY/NJ were getting slammed and we had no hint of any significant COVID-19 problem. Then, with the town at the brink of irreversible economic depression, the lockdown had to be lifted prior to our tourist season. Now, COVID cases are up 800% during our tourist season and any chance of a meaningful lockdown for this area has passed, due to sucking up the "OMG/ITALY/NY/NJ!" hysteria in April.

I tend to agree "lockdowns" might not have been necessary for states and regions with sparse caseloads.

A lot of folks early on were of the opinion if it seemed like you did too much, you did it right – they may yet be right, but I don't discount the economic harms of non-targeted lockdowns. For example, the Victoria region of Australia has rising case counts – so they're locking down Melbourne, but not the rest of the region. That's how it ought to have been done.

Houston needs whatever is equally effective as a lockdown, though:

1594052510632.png

Reactions: 2 users
I tend to agree "lockdowns" might not have been necessary for states and regions with sparse caseloads.

A lot of folks early on were of the opinion if it seemed like you did too much, you did it right – they may yet be right, but I don't discount the economic harms of non-targeted lockdowns. For example, the Victoria region of Australia has rising case counts – so they're locking down Melbourne, but not the rest of the region. That's how it ought to have been done.

Houston needs whatever is equally effective as a lockdown, though:

View attachment 311983
Hopefully when this pandemic is over, we'll never see one nearly this bad in our lifetimes. But if we do, one takeaway for me (other than the impossibility of predicting viral spread) will be, "You're only going to get one lock-down, so don't blow it." Don't lock-down because someone somewhere else needs to. Because once you push your population to the financial brink, they're not going to give you another shot at it. So use it wisely, when it'll have the most impact, not too early and not too late, or, don't do a lock-down at all. I'll leave "whether to lock-down at all" as a question for another day.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

The counterpoint to this is back then we functionally had no testing capacity. So the (reasonable) fear was that a huge wave could hit with limited warning like in NYC. In most locations, this turned out to be totally unnecessary, but we had no way of knowing this. This is largely due to government Fups in testing rollout.

In reality, now that we have capacity we need to be doing targeted lockdowns in hotspots. The problem is the politicization of the issue has made that politically impossible in many locations.

Reactions: 4 users
COVID-19 deaths per million, to date (Worldometer)

NY 1,720
NJ 1,658
CT 1,216
MA 1,187
RI 906
DC 795
LA 709
MI 623
PA 532
DE 526

(U.S. avg 401)

IN 401
MS 373
CO 295
NH 280
GA 269
MN 268
OH 251
AZ 249
NM 245
IA 229
VA 217
AL 217
WA 178
FL 176
MO 175
NV 174
CA 161
SC 159
NE 147
WI 137
NC 136
KY 131
SD 110
ND 105
OK 101
KS 97
TN 95
AR 95
TX 92
VT 90
ME 81
UT 57
WV 53
ID 52
OR 51
WY 35
MT 22
AK 22
HI 13

Last edited:
In reality, now that we have capacity we need to be doing targeted lockdowns in hotspots. The problem is the politicization of the issue has made that politically impossible in many locations.
I'm not so sure its the politicization that's preventing people from buying in to 2nd, 3rd or 4th lock-downs, although it doesn't help. What I'm hearing is people have run out of money and don't think the benefits of another lock-down outweigh the downside for them and their families. Another lock-down equals bankruptcy. They're simply unable. They're saying, "I'll gladly take the 0.02% chance of dying, if it means I avoid bankruptcy and losing everything." (Most models are predicting another 25,000 American die, I used 80,000 / 328,000,000 population = 0.02%). Most people can't work through a lock-down and still make 5-6 times what the average American makes while not locked down, like you and I can.

U.S. Daily COVID-19 Deaths (Worldometer):

4/20: 2,255
5/20: 1,369
6/20: 645
6/28: 596
7/5: 511

WM.GIF

U.S. Daily COVID-19 Deaths (Worldometer):

4/20: 2,255
5/20: 1,369
6/20: 645
6/28: 596
7/5: 511

View attachment 311997

Exactly. Our graph mirrors the graphs of every other Western country, including ones that shut down more things, ones that shut down less. I've posted data repeatedly about Sweden, and non-lockdown U.S. states, but it's always ignored, or drowned out be a sea of anecdotal evidence.

Exactly. Our graph mirrors the graphs of every other Western country, including ones that shut down more things, ones that shut down less. I've posted data repeatedly about Sweden, and non-lockdown U.S. states, but it's always ignored, or drowned out be a sea of anecdotal evidence.

COVID is a government created crisis not an epidemic.

IL, MA, MI, NJ, NY, PA governors forced nursing homes to accept sick, resulting in mass death.

In the rest of the US, without these insane policies, EVEN WITH RISING CASES, COVID barely crosses CDC epidemic threshold of 7.2% of weekly deaths.

Simpson's paradox has nothing to do with the total U.S. COVID-death numbers. It might apply to your conclusions about those numbers, but not the numbers themselves. No one is saying the overall average or trend, applies to all locations of all sizes at all points in time.

Last edited:
This is great, I want to share it with someone.
Can you provide the link?
I did. Click the blue Worldometer link in my post, go to the last graph at the bottom, then click the "7-day average" button below the graph. I generally include the source for everything I post, with a blue hyperlink, like that.

Or, give them this link: How long should the lock down last?

Last edited:
Birdstrike, would you say based on your interpretation of the data that places like TX are getting ICU capacity stretched because they never really hit their peak earlier? And a place like NYC is now safe to reopen completely because they have some sort of reservoir of T-cell immunity?

By safe I mean zero probability of a massive second death wave (obviously there are always going to be some susceptible individuals and some risk of small spikes).

Simpson's paradox has nothing to do with the total U.S. COVID-death numbers. It might apply to your conclusions about those numbers, but not the numbers themselves. No one is saying the overall average or trend, applies to all locations of all sizes at all points in time.

I must be somehow misreading your posted mortality statistics as part of a narrative the pandemic is rather a panic-demic, and in fact COVID is waning and no longer a serious problem.

I must be somehow misreading your posted mortality statistics as part of a narrative the pandemic is rather a panic-demic, and in fact COVID is waning and no longer a serious problem.
Correct.

Birdstrike, would you say based on your interpretation of the data that places like TX are getting ICU capacity stretched because they never really hit their peak earlier?
It's my understanding that certain cities in TX are seeing their ICU capacity stretched. I'm not aware all counties in Texas are seeing their ICU capacity stretched. Are they? As far as the TX cities and counties that are seeing their ICU capacity stretched, yes, they're hitting their peak later, from what I can tell. That's my guess, for what it's worth.

And a place like NYC is now safe to reopen completely because they have some sort of reservoir of T-cell immunity?
This is a good question. I don't know, but we're going to find out. My guess would be that as NYC reopens, they'll likely see an increase in cases but nowhere near as high a peak as in April, due to developing (partial, not complete) immunity in the population. But there's no guarantee as to how much immunity exists. It's possible they could spike back up to where they were in April. Personally, I doubt it. My guess is that at least some of the people that had the virus have some level of immunity. But I could be wrong. Otherwise, if no one gets any immunity, we'd all get getting the virus again and again, each wave killing 0.5% of the population, until we've all had it 200 times and we're all dead. That's how the math works, if no one gets any immunity from past infection, with 0.5% case fatality rate, isn't it?

The concept that we could be facing that, endless pandemic with no ability to gain immunity through infection seems absurd to me, but anyone that suggests ,"We don't know past infection gives any immunity," is endorsing that possibility: Repeated pandemic cycles, each killing 0.5% of the population until we're all dead. (It would take 200 cycles). That seems exceedingly unlikely, but we'll know soon enough if NYC is "safe to open." I suspect the residents of the city are going to demand to resume living their lives at some point and we'll find out.

That’s my best guess. But I don’t know for sure. I’m trying to figure this all out as I go, like everyone else.

Last edited:
Florida testing results include a MASSIVE number of RETESTS. Their own daily reports note this. Most employers require 2 or more negative tests before they come back to work. Each positive test is counted as a BRAND NEW CASE. In some areas retests could compound exponentially weekly.

These counts include the number of people for whom the department received PCR or antigen lab results by day. People tested on multiple days will be included for each day a new result was received. A person is only counted once for each day they are tested.

• Haha
  • Wow
Don't look now, but the 7 day average for deaths are trending upward in Florida and Texas...

So now we have the answer for the "WhAr ThE DeAd PeOpLe, mUh FrEeDuM" crowd.

Attachments

• Florda deaths 7620.JPG
    Florda deaths 7620.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Texas deaths 7620.JPG
    Texas deaths 7620.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 86
Don't look now, but the 7 day average for deaths are trending upward in Florida and Texas...

So now we have the answer for the "WhAr ThE DeAd PeOpLe, mUh FrEeDuM" crowd.

What's your solution

What's your solution
Ignoring it doesn't seem to help, which is what more than a few posters are advocating for because the deaths didn't immediately spike.

Just a note on data reporting from the hospital. We are required report Covid, PPE, testing kits, vents, other data to various sources now including CMS via NHSN, HHS, and the state health department. Each of those entities decides how things are defined and who is and is not included in counts, not the hospital (and per usual the admins in my facility are pretty clueless about the details of any of this, they just make sure someone is reporting it). There are online training modules for these to ensure understanding of and strict adherence to those definitions.

How does early detection help in a disease with no cure or treatment? My understanding is the clinical course is not really alterable.

Contact tracing and isolation to reduce spread....

Another one for the “but where are the deaths” - even I hadn’t thought about this:

"Birdstrike, your complex and detailed study on virology isn't peer reviewed yet, so it's meaningless and I'll ignore it. So here's a social media post. That'll be better."

Actually @Birdstrike, I was the person who noted your article was not peer reviewed, and I haven't posted any social media links regarding SARS-CoV-2.

• Haha
Actually @Birdstrike, I was the person who noted your article was not peer reviewed, and I haven't posted any social media links regarding SARS-CoV-2.
I know. I just wanted to be snarky ;) and poke fun at the standard on this thread. One minute, this thread has the highest of high scientific standards ever, everything must be peer reviewed or "it's fatally flawed.' Then, once published, even the peer reviewed ones are found to be, "biased, meaningless," and so bad they're shot full of holes by people who admit they didn't even read them (to hell with the peer reviewers and what they think now). Even posting raw numbers, raw data with no comment, causes people to literally hallucinate a "narrative" into the numbers and reject them, even from sources they're previously trusted and quoted themselves. Then, the next minute, the standard is, "Forget your pre-publication studies, your peer-reviewed studies, peer reviewers and raw data. I read it on twitter, so it's true!"

I just have to chuckle at it. It's fine. Because it's just how people are, all of us, myself included. We think that we collect data, then form an opinion. We don't. 90% of the time, we make a quick decision first based on emotion and bias, then collect only the data that fits that decision and reject that which disagrees. It absolutely exhausting to do the former. Doing the latter, equals hitting the easy button and that's what our brains evolved to do.

Last edited:
Updated article about Sweden.

So overall take aways are that Sweden hasn’t seen economic gains since this is a worldwide pandemic so it affects everyone. And the US economy fares worse because we don’t have as many social supports as other developed nations.

"The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden’s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage, and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors."

Collectively, Scandinavian consumers are expected to continue spending far more robustly than in the United States, said Thomas Harr, global head of research at Danske Bank, emphasizing those nations’ generous social safety nets, including national health care systems. Americans, by contrast, tend to rely on their jobs for health care, making them more cautious about their health and their spending during the pandemic, knowing that hospitalization can be a gateway to financial calamity.

“It’s very much about the welfare state,” Mr. Harr said of Scandinavian countries. “You’re not as concerned about catching the virus, because you know that, if you do, the state is paying for health care.”

Updated article about Sweden.

So overall take aways are that Sweden hasn’t seen economic gains since this is a worldwide pandemic so it affects everyone. And the US economy fares worse because we don’t have as many social supports as other developed nations.

"The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden’s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage, and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors."

Collectively, Scandinavian consumers are expected to continue spending far more robustly than in the United States, said Thomas Harr, global head of research at Danske Bank, emphasizing those nations’ generous social safety nets, including national health care systems. Americans, by contrast, tend to rely on their jobs for health care, making them more cautious about their health and their spending during the pandemic, knowing that hospitalization can be a gateway to financial calamity.

“It’s very much about the welfare state,” Mr. Harr said of Scandinavian countries. “You’re not as concerned about catching the virus, because you know that, if you do, the state is paying for health care.”

Isn't it obvious by now that Sweden is in the eye of the beholder? Same facts, different story:

"Sweden took a different, long-term approach intended to prevent the second wave that most expect to come this winter. Their per-capita death toll in their first (and hopefully only) wave, which has now completely ended, was smaller than similar nations like the UK and Belgium, as well as similarly populous US states like Michigan, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Illinois, among others. Their economy has contracted similarly to many other developed nations, but their children never missed a day of school, while children in the US missed 3 months, and many will likely miss much of the upcoming school year as well. A random expert in another country lauded Sweden's efforts, noting that many other countries took unprecedented gambles with their economies and children's educations by instituting blanket lockdowns, while Sweden took a more measured and safe approach."

These stories write themselves. What does it all mean?

• Haha
Vanderbilt School of Medicine model for Tennessee, dated April 10.

"Lifting social distancing scenario: Under this scenario ... at the peak, close to 50,000 Tennesseans are sick enough to require hospitalization."

You may notice in that chart that the lines start to diverge right around the end of April.

Tennessee's stay-at-home order on April 30 was lifted. A close match to when VUMC's model changed its assumption of behavior.

So, did TN get to 50,000 hospitalizations at peak?

No. In fact, TN didn't even get to the 2,000 peak hospitalizations under the assumption that the state locked down even harder. The opposite of what they did.

Wow -another BIG WIN for epidemiological modeling: An over prediction by a factor of 25.

Millions of jobs and livelihoods, not to mention excess non-covid deaths due to shutdowns, were lost to this nonsense.

Isn't it obvious by now that Sweden is in the eye of the beholder? Same facts, different story:

"Sweden took a different, long-term approach intended to prevent the second wave that most expect to come this winter. Their per-capita death toll in their first (and hopefully only) wave, which has now completely ended, was smaller than similar nations like the UK and Belgium, as well as similarly populous US states like Michigan, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Illinois, among others. Their economy has contracted similarly to many other developed nations, but their children never missed a day of school, while children in the US missed 3 months, and many will likely miss much of the upcoming school year as well. A random expert in another country lauded Sweden's efforts, noting that many other countries took unprecedented gambles with their economies and children's educations by instituting blanket lockdowns, while Sweden took a more measured and safe approach."

These stories write themselves. What does it all mean?

I think only in 15 years we’ll be able to look back and Monday morning quarter back to determine which approach was the "best." It does seem that overall our federal response hasn’t been the best unfortunately but only time will tell!

I think only in 15 years we’ll be able to look back and Monday morning quarter back to determine which approach was the "best." It does seem that overall our federal response hasn’t been the best unfortunately but only time will tell!

The only real “ winners “ are the countries like New Zealand and South Korea. They went big and shut the virus down to the point where any isolated outbreaks could be contained. Everyone else is in shades of grey.

The only real “ winners “ are the countries like New Zealand and South Korea. They went big and shut the virus down to the point where any isolated outbreaks could be contained. Everyone else is in shades of grey.
Benefits to being small island nations

There are actually many African countries that have been doing relatively well if you look at mortality rate/million population.
I've been checking in with friends who live in different African countries and they've been feeling safe in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.