How long should update letters be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frigidcold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to send an update to schools for two publications that have been accepted recently.

Is it okay to get straight to the point (these have been accepted, here's the DOIs/links, thanks for your consideration) or should I fluff it up to a page like it seems like a lot of websites suggest?

Also, can anyone comment on the relative value of update letters pre-II and post-interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Best to keep it brief. If you’ve already been invited to interview, the school is more interested versus one that has likely decided to pass on you. However, some schools may immediately score your application after the interview and it will remain unchanged despite any updates that come afterwards.

Reactions: 2 users
I want to send an update to schools for two publications that have been accepted recently.

Is it okay to get straight to the point (these have been accepted, here's the DOIs/links, thanks for your consideration) or should I fluff it up to a page like it seems like a lot of websites suggest?

Also, can anyone comment on the relative value of update letters pre-II and post-interview?
No longer than necessary. Get to the point as you outlined above.

We comment on the value of letters all the time on the forums so just do a quick search.

Yes I agree that you need to keep it extremely brief, but don't expect any change to your status.