How long to apply for HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I have been working on my HPSP application since June 20th. Numerous unreturned calls and emails, much persistence, many delays. Begged to get paperwork done this summer before 2nd year of school started, but wasn't given much to do until around September. Then had to re fax most of the stuff that I faxed or mailed, because they claimed they never got it. Found out I got accepted in early December, but they had to send in my medical waiver request (I did my physical in October, was told it takes 7 to 10 days to get a waiver, but still had no answer 2 months later, I think it was just sitting on someone's desk the whole time while I kept asking what's the status). Waiver was approved around mid December. Still waiting on the official acceptance letter, recruiter said not to call until after the holidays are over. So it is going on over 6 months now since I started the process. Is this typical? Has anyone else had to recruit the Navy more than the Navy recruited you? I asked for a different recruiter and was told there isn't another one. Should I ask for the chief officer, or will this just come back to haunt me later if I complain?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not Navy, can't comment on specifics...
But...
yes, this is typical. Welcome to the cluster that is military medicine.

Got my paperwork done in less than 2 months but most of that time was waiting for a waiver to come back because I had a surgery and needed to be evaluated by my physician after 3 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
They won't do anything against you if you complain. I had to talk to the major in charge of recruiters to finally get my application rolling. Although working with your recruiter is the polite thing to do, sometimes you have to go over his head.

Started my paperwork in August. Was boarded and approved in early September. Still haven't pinned rank though, but I don't start school until next July.

Sorry it's been such a rough deal so far. Be sure to ask for your 20k signing bonus.

Started my paperwork in August. Was boarded and approved in early September. Still haven't pinned rank though, but I don't start school until next July.

Sorry it's been such a rough deal so far. Be sure to ask for your 20k signing bonus.

Called the Lieutenant in charge of recruiters yesterday, he said it can take 6 months to one year to do this. Said it is totally normal. I don't think podiatry is eligible for the 20k bonus unfortunately but it is getting frustrating.

I guess that I could call the Commander of the recruiting office?