How long to get COMLEX II scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderGrad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long has the NBOME been taking to get COMLEX Step II scores out? I took mine in early November.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same wait as you, as you know. The NBOME website says that it should get down to 4 weeks, but we're past that already. Looks like the Oct scores came out after about 5 weeks.

The scores are released for the nov 9th test date. Just got mine. Passed. That is all I wanted!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The standard deviation is different on step 2, right? I passed quite safely, but I'm trying to figure it out in comparison to my step 1 2-digit score (the non-percentile one).

I'm definitely pleased. :) If only they could get the PE scores now. *sigh*

I thought that they listed it as the same across exams for the 3 digit, but different standard deviations for the 2 digit. They can't be the same overall b/c my 3 digit & 2 digit scores changed in different directions. :confused: I think I did a little worse on step 2 than step 1, but my 2 digit score is higher.

I wonder why the website doesn't list in the news section the November 9th date score release. I got so tired of checking I stopped and just read the bullentin every day. Anyone know how long they have been out?

My Step 2 score was the exact same as my Step 1 score, right in meaty part of the bell curve. Funny considering I studied about twenty times less. I was so freaked out that I might have failed. Now I'm freaked out that they're actually gonna let me be a doctor. Boy do I feel like I have a lot to learn before July 1st.

DrMom said:
I thought that they listed it as the same across exams for the 3 digit, but different standard deviations for the 2 digit. They can't be the same overall b/c my 3 digit & 2 digit scores changed in different directions. :confused: I think I did a little worse on step 2 than step 1, but my 2 digit score is higher.

To you, doubter.

NBOME said:
Part I, Part II, & Part III

The scores reported for Parts I, II, and III after 1986 are 3-digit standard scores for the whole examinations. Scores reported for Parts I and II before 1987 are the minimum scaled scores (2-digit) among all the component scores of the examinations. Scores reported for Part III are scaled scores (2-digit) for the whole examination.

Standard Scores (3-digit). The standard scores for all three Part examinations are reported on a scale with a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. The minimal passing score for Part I and Part II is 400. The minimal passing score for Part III is 350.

Scaled Scores (2-digit). Scaled scores are reported on a scale with a mean of 80. The minimal passing score for Parts I and II is 75 for any of the components of the examinations. The minimal passing score for Part III is 75 for the whole examination.

edit: after posting this, I see the discrepancy. The SD when we took Step I was 79, right? Now it is 100. However, the 2-digit SD is still around the same.

Im curious if that weakens the relative strength of a 700, per se, on Step I from this year on? Last year, 740 would have been 3 SD above the mean, but this year it is only 2.4?

actually, this is the part I was looking at:

Standard scores (3-digit). The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400, for Level 3 is 350, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examination 3-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 71; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 79. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 85; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 73; from July 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 83. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 111; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 120.

Standard scores (2-digit). The minimal passing 2-digit standard scores for all three written examinations are 75, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examinations 2-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 3.55; from 2002 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.95. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 4.25; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.65; from July 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 5.82. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 3.70; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 4.00.

Am I making this too hard? Maybe I'm just confusing myself. I just don't see how I can compare step 1 & 2 scores as they're reported...especially the 2-digit scores, since they're scaled differently.

Hey guys, I'm going to take it in a couple of weeks. So please answer- are the scores now reported in two digits or three or both? When I took 1, the max score was 800 and pass was 400, are you saying that this is the same or now different? How did you find out your scores, were you given a code and then able to look it up on an internet site or did you receive the scores in the mail or both? Did you have to take any aditional steps to release the scores on ERAS or is the score automatically released if you released the scores on 1? Thanks for the info!

Ice-1 said:
Hey guys, I'm going to take it in a couple of weeks. So please answer- are the scores now reported in two digits or three or both? When I took 1, the max score was 800 and pass was 400, are you saying that this is the same or now different? How did you find out your scores, were you given a code and then able to look it up on an internet site or did you receive the scores in the mail or both? Did you have to take any aditional steps to release the scores on ERAS or is the score automatically released if you released the scores on 1? Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure about the interpretation of the scores so I'll leave that to those more interested. You do get a 3 digit and 2 digit score but I'm not sure how they compare to Step 1. Mine were almost the same. 400 is still a passing 3 digit score and 75 is the passing 2 digit score. The two digit score is no longer a percentile. You can access all your NBOME scores online at nbome.org. You create an account user id and password when you register and they'll give you a record of all recorded scores as well as scheduled exams. You have to re-release your COMLEX 2 scores through ERAS. To the best of my understanding ERAS does not have the same re-transmit option for the COMLEX as they do for USMLE. At least I didn't see anything of that nature on the ERAS app and my school recently sent out an email telling us we had to re-release our COMLEX results ourselves it we wanted our residency programs to see them.

Plinko said:
I'm not sure about the interpretation of the scores so I'll leave that to those more interested. You do get a 3 digit and 2 digit score but I'm not sure how they compare to Step 1. Mine were almost the same. 400 is still a passing 3 digit score and 75 is the passing 2 digit score. The two digit score is no longer a percentile. You can access all your NBOME scores online at nbome.org. You create an account user id and password when you register and they'll give you a record of all recorded scores as well as scheduled exams. You have to re-release your COMLEX 2 scores through ERAS. To the best of my understanding ERAS does not have the same re-transmit option for the COMLEX as they do for USMLE. At least I didn't see anything of that nature on the ERAS app and my school recently sent out an email telling us we had to re-release our COMLEX results ourselves it we wanted our residency programs to see them.

Today - before i read this post I went into eras and clicked on a button that said retransmit comlex transcript in the documents section. There is nothing in the uploaded document file yet (like happened when I retransmited my USMLE scores). What do we have to do to retransmit the COMLEX transcripts? Evidently my school does not keep us as informed as yours does! Or I totally ignore my school (more likely!)

Idiopathic said:
It takes a few days to get your scores into your ERAS file, if this is what you are asking. It isnt an instantaneous process, I dont think.

yeah dude. It took a couple of days - but it worked. Plinko freaked me out with his post. I thought he was saying we had to do something different to get our scores out. I just wanted to make sure my ck scores went out before my PE scores posted....just in case! They have now!

Sugar72 said:
yeah dude. It took a couple of days - but it worked. Plinko freaked me out with his post. I thought he was saying we had to do something different to get our scores out. I just wanted to make sure my ck scores went out before my PE scores posted....just in case! They have now!

Sorry I freaked you out dude. I was just passing along the info from my registrar's email. I just did so so on COMLEX Step 2 so I'm waiting for match day to release my results. I really didn't look into the issue that much on account of my Step 2 score not being all that relevant to my app. Sorry if I lead you astray.