how long to respond to interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for your time. Do you guys think it is smart to stop and pause a little while before answering their questions to make it seem like your are thinking about it? thanks a lot

Doc driven

Members don't see this ad.

If you know the answer immediately, answer it immediately.

If it's a tough question for you, don't just spout some BS answer off. Think about it, be honest, then answer it.

"Pretending" to put a lot of thought into something... unless you're just a Robert De Niro... will come across as fake.

I don't know. I think it depends if you have trouble putting your thoughts into words. If you do, than by all means stop and compose your self. If you think you know what you want to say, say it and answer it.

I think the most important thing is to not start talking if there is silence after your answer. Let them ask a more specific question or ask another question. I found that I repeated myself and made myself sound worse when I tried to fill the silence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by my premed adviser to stop and think about it if I don't know the answer, especially for scenario situations.

I think, personally, it makes you look more analytical and thoughtful if you actually think through the situation before spitting out an answer. I would think that actual doctors that are actually in the ethical situations that adcoms present in interviews probably do take a few minutes to think it through.

I have to agree with IUGrad on that one. I've had to take time to stop and think about questions in interviews, mostly ethical ones, and I think it was well received.

:thumbup:Thank you all for your opinions.

Do you guys think it is smart to stop and pause a little while before answering their questions to make it seem like your are thinking about it? thanks a lot

That's a really good question. I was wondering the same thing. I haven't interviewed yet, but I've been thinking about what the interviews are going to look like. Are most of your interviews done in an office? I keep picturing the interview done at a desk in one of the interviewer's offices, where one or two interviewers sit on one side, and then I sit in a chair across from them at the desk. Has that been what you all have experienced? Or are you sitting in a single chair far across the room from them, so they can gaze at you from a distance? These are weird questions but I'm trying my best to prepare myself for the scenario. I'm sure it's different depending on the school, too.

That's a really good question. I was wondering the same thing. I haven't interviewed yet, but I've been thinking about what the interviews are going to look like. Are most of your interviews done in an office? I keep picturing the interview done at a desk in one of the interviewer's offices, where one or two interviewers sit on one side, and then I sit in a chair across from them at the desk. Has that been what you all have experienced? Or are you sitting in a single chair far across the room from them, so they can gaze at you from a distance? These are weird questions but I'm trying my best to prepare myself for the scenario. I'm sure it's different depending on the school, too.

:laugh: I like your weird questions because they're exactly what I've been wondering.

Both of the interviews that I have been to were just in a small office and we were seated around a table. They were definitely not that far from me, so it seemed more like a casual conversation.

I have experienced both types of interviews... just a chair and an interviewer (KCOM), At a desk (KCOM), At a large table (everywhere else).

I think that worrying about these petty things prior to the interview is a sure-fire, guaranteed way of effectively "choking". Just take a moment to relax and be yourself. I've interviewed at allo and osteo schools and the interviewers, assuming they aren't current students filling interview voids, WILL be able to determine what you are all about generally and in the allotted time frame. Best of luck.

....I haven't interviewed yet, but I've been thinking about what the interviews are going to look like. Are most of your interviews done in an office? ....

Most of mine were in a dark room that had the heat turned up to about 100 degrees, so that sweat was pouring from my forehead as I tugged at my shirt collar. A single naked lightbulb hung from a cord above and swayed slowly back and forth-- strange because there was no breeze at all. I sat in a hard metal chair that creaked each time I shifted, and my lone interviewer paced in front of me, but just beyond the shaft of light and mostly covered in shadows. I would watch him pause, tip back the brim of his hat and rub his hands against his barely shaven face. His hands were huge and well manicured except for one very long, sharp thumbnail. He would turn quickly in my direction and bark questions about insurance, medicine or why I wanted to be a DO....and he would scream at me if I fumbled for an answer. I could hear moaning and wailing coming from the other nearby interview rooms and an occasional slap against flesh that echoed from between the wooden slats on the floor. I was so thirsty that I wanted to faint, but my interviewer quickly found a vein in my right arm, shoved a line into me and pumped me full of normal saline so that he could continue the brutal interrogation. I asked for a bathroom break; he offered a bedpan. I requested food; he pointed to the NPO sign on the door....

All my interviews were pretty much like that..........ok, maybe not.

Most of mine were in a dark room that had the heat turned up to about 100 degrees, so that sweat was pouring from my forehead as I tugged at my shirt collar. A single naked lightbulb hung from a cord above and swayed slowly back and forth-- strange because there was no breeze at all. I sat in a hard metal chair that creaked each time I shifted, and my lone interviewer paced in front of me, but just beyond the shaft of light and mostly covered in shadows. I would watch him pause, tip back the brim of his hat and rub his hands against his barely shaven face. His hands were huge and well manicured except for one very long, sharp thumbnail. He would turn quickly in my direction and bark questions about insurance, medicine or why I wanted to be a DO....and he would scream at me if I fumbled for an answer. I could hear moaning and wailing coming from the other nearby interview rooms and an occasional slap against flesh that echoed from between the wooden slats on the floor. I was so thirsty that I wanted to faint, but my interviewer quickly found a vein in my right arm, shoved a line into me and pumped me full of normal saline so that he could continue the brutal interrogation. I asked for a bathroom break; he offered a bedpan. I requested food; he pointed to the NPO sign on the door....

:laugh: Did someone minor in creative writing? That was great. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

A bedpan, huh? That's generous. Man, I was expecting you to say catheter.
Oh, and I like the part about the thumbnail. Nice touch.

:laugh: I like your weird questions because they're exactly what I've been wondering.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm sure there are others, but it sounds like no one's willing to admit it! :laugh:

haha you said "shaft"

i think pausing on occasion is acceptable

However they might suspect your ******ed or have a hearing problem if you pause at benign questions like "did you have any trouble finding the school?" or "would you like a glass of water?"

at that point they might make you wear a helmet and drool rag bib the rest of the interview.

So far, that has happened to me at all my interviews. I thought they did that to everybody.

I seriously hate this kind of question. Why do ppl feel like they need to pull tricks and gimmicks to get accepted. Just be yourself. If they don't accept you, you probably aren't a good match anyway..

I wouldn't pause longer than you would expect someone else to answer you if you turned the situation around. It's ok if you need to think for a few seconds, but you look like a dumb@ss if you sit there for 10+ seconds without saying anything.

Don't use the pause just to pause. Use it only if you truly have to think about your answer. The adcoms have interviewed thousands upon thousands of pre-meds. They know the game, people.

thanks for your time. Do you guys think it is smart to stop and pause a little while before answering their questions to make it seem like your are thinking about it? thanks a lot

Doc driven

depends on the kind of questions...
if they ask you "whats your name"... obviously you'd have to be an idiot to think for a second then answer lol

but if they asked you crap like "so what do you think is wrong with our healthcare system"... yeh this one you need to pause for atleast few seconds before you talk

depends on the kind of questions...
if they ask you "whats your name"... obviously you'd have to be an idiot to think for a second then answer lol

but if they asked you crap like "so what do you think is wrong with our healthcare system"... yeh this one you need to pause for atleast few seconds before you talk

I agree, also even if you know the answer (like if you practiced before the interview) a pause shows you are actually thinking about your answers rather then just telling them what they want to hear.

Just be yourself and answer naturally. If you need to think of something, think about it. If you don't, then don't. I am sure the interviewers can see right through fake pauses and all the tricks we try to use.

I wouldn't pause longer than you would expect someone else to answer you if you turned the situation around. It's ok if you need to think for a few seconds, but you look like a dumb@ss if you sit there for 10+ seconds without saying anything.

Don't use the pause just to pause. Use it only if you truly have to think about your answer. The adcoms have interviewed thousands upon thousands of pre-meds. They know the game, people.

Good advice. :thumbup:

I didn't think about the other extreme that Meg brought up, but that's true, too. I should have revised my post above to say "but don't just pause for "effect" either." Only use the pause if you legitimately need it.

"Always be honest" is the best overall interview advice I could give, and that goes for pauses, too. ;)

I pause 30 seconds after each question and rarely blink during an interview. :)

Good advice. :thumbup:

I didn't think about the other extreme that Meg brought up, but that's true, too. I should have revised my post above to say "but don't just pause for "effect" either." Only use the pause if you legitimately need it.

"Always be honest" is the best overall interview advice I could give, and that goes for pauses, too. ;)

Definitely :thumbup: for the honesty, but don't be too honest. Think of it like a job interview.