How Long to Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjanssen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in an accredited graduate anatomy program. I will be done with courses at the end of April and intend to take the MCAT the beginning of July. Is 8 weeks enough time? I was planning on using the schedule by SN2ed schedule but I have a huge final the next three weeks straight and it is just as important for me to get a 4.0 in my program. So is 8 weeks too little? Is applying in August after getting scores too late? (I want to wait for my score because I took it two years ago the day after an accident... BAD IDEA. and I want to be sure of my score before applying, though I will have absolutely everything ready)
Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

No. I don't think its enough time. Also it depends. First take one or two full length exams and see where you stand.
If you don't do good on them (below 22) then i think you gotta study hard for at least 3 months or more.

I took one month to study for it after my classes ended in May. I knew I was short on time to I was putting in 13 hr days studying for it. The last week I took a practice exam a day and fully reviewed it. I was one of the most stressful times on my life but I somehow manage to do well on it. Depending on personality, discipline and your other activities, you could do well with only 2 months prep.

There are two concerns: (1) insufficient time to study (2) sitting for the exam after May. You can use your current diagnostic score to decide about pushing it back to late July/ August.

In two months you can expect to improve your score by 3-4 points. If you are 28+ it should be enough time. If you are 27- it may not be, in which case you should consider either waiting a year or including some osteopathic/ nontraditional schools in your applications.