how long to take MCAT second time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabulous20

medalltheway
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long do you need to wait to take the MCAT a second time? for example, if i took it this april on the 19th...how long would i have to wait to take it again?

ALSO,

is it true that the GPA that aamcas looks at is the undergrad gpa from ALL the institutions you have attended while in undergrad? like i.e., if i did summer school at another school, and only got transfer credits, do they STILL caculate it into an overall gpa that they look at?

what about if u took the same class again? would they look at the better grade or the worst, or the average of both?

thankss!!!

Members don't see this ad.

how long do you need to wait to take the MCAT a second time? for example, if i took it this april on the 19th...how long would i have to wait to take it again?

ALSO,

is it true that the GPA that aamcas looks at is the undergrad gpa from ALL the institutions you have attended while in undergrad? like i.e., if i did summer school at another school, and only got transfer credits, do they STILL caculate it into an overall gpa that they look at?

what about if u took the same class again? would they look at the better grade or the worst, or the average of both?

thankss!!!
I dont think you ahve to wait at all. However, you can only sign up for one test at a time and you can take it a max of three times a year

1) You can take the next test you get a seat in. However, I'd probably wait a few months and re-study before I try my luck again. My best tip had always been that unless you're averaging better than your goal on the practice tests, don't take the test. The really strong test takers tend to do better and the weak ones tend to do worse. I know more people with a 34 average practice that got a 37 on the real test than people with a 27 who ended with a 30 on test day.

2) Yes. Every college level class you've ever taken, including those summer classes you took in high school at a college, have to be reported and will be calculated in your cumulative GPA. More importantly, original transcripts from each of those schools must be submitted.

ALSO,

thankss!!!

Ok I am an EXPERT on this question.

If you did not get the score you wanted on your MCAT, I would STRONGLY advise not rushing into retaking. In fact, I would wait a while...

My original MCAT score was 25O without much prep (I was a little cocky, had always done well on standardized tests, and thought it would carry over). Well, I figured, if I could do that WITHOUT studying... imagine what a little prep could do.

So I enrolled in a prep course, studied, and enrolled in the first MCAT date available. And I got a 22Q. (i mean, really, everything went down, but my writing score went up?!?!?!)

So... I got realy depressed, considered changing career paths for - well - a week. And then I became determined to not let this test beat me. I buckled down and studied (hard) and ended up with a 30Q. Not stellar, but I'm happy.

Basically, moral of the story is - wait until you feel REALLY ready. You don't want to have to be a three-time taker like me.

And as far as your second question - yes, AMCAS will require you to report BOTH scores on retake classes - both your original and your second time around. I wouldn't recommend retaking, even if you get an A the adcoms will expect nothing less - it is your second time taking the course, after all! Instead, if you are worried about a particular grade, I would try to compensate by getting a good score in an upper level class in the same field.

Good luck!